Jekyll Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnnie

Anyone have an opinion on the campground at Jekyll Island in Georgia.

Thanks
Johnnie

Very nice place but do buy the local bug repellant they sell in the office. Works like a charm on those persistent mosquitos. And there are lots of them.

Hi, Johnny. Maybe I can contribute a few facts about the campground.
The Rv Park is operated by the State of Georgia, matter of fact the entire Island is a State owned piece of real estate. Costs you a pittance to enter though.
Rhe park is at the nortern end and is quite large with more trees than you con count. It is like being in a forest. Full hookup on most sites, (Can't remember if they have cable, I don't think so).
We were there in May/06 for 3 days and explored the whole island. Transportation like aToad or cycles are a must, if you leave your rig hooked up.

Continued from last message.  Several good places to see, such as the old mansions via tram ride,etc.
It is very quiet there, and stores are at a minimum, but enough for the campers. Fascinating history; worth going there and staying for a couple of days. Remember its the only place in town.
8)

carson in Florida  (VE7WCX/W4)      :)
??? ??? :)

Rhe park is at the nortern end and is quite large with more trees than you con count. It is like being in a forest. Full hookup on most sites, (Can't remember if they have cable, I don't think so).

We haven't been there is 4-5 years, but they did have cable tv back then. It was a jury-rigged system, though, with coax just lying on the ground behind the sites and it did not even reach some of the sites.

We were just thinking about going there in mid-to-late October... 

Just how bad are the bugs there?  My wife camped there for a week 35 years ago and remembers it as being pretty swampy.  That was in June.  Would this be a better/drier time of year there?

I don't recall any bugs in the fall, but it was quite windy when we were there and the flying critters were laying low.  AS I recall, the island itself isn't swampy, but  it is surrounded with marshes on one side.

We were there in March and there were tons of bugs.
We enjoyed at a lot anyway.
You can make a 3 mile walk from the park to the beach, down the beach to a path across a swampy area and back to the park. We saw small alligators and many birds on that walk.
One thing to note is that when they warn you to cover your mirrors to protect them from woodpeckers , I would do it.
I was told they could actually break a mirror. I didn't see that happen but did see one attacking one.

mfa said:
We were just thinking about going there in mid-to-late October...?

Just how bad are the bugs there?? My wife camped there for a week 35 years ago and remembers it as being pretty swampy.? That was in June.? Would this be a better/drier time of year there?

Just got back from a trip that included 4 nights at Jekyll Island.? We enjoyed it a lot.? Nice cool weather.? Quiet.? Nearly full on the weekend, but about a quarter full on the weekdays.

No bugs at all.? Didn't see any woodpeckers, just lots of squirrels.? They climbed all over everything, but I didn't see them damaging anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom