Jim Dick and toys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chet18013

Full time in RV. Home is where we are parked
Pat and Jim have s topped for a few days at our place on the journey north. Yesterday Jim and I went on a little trip to pick up his new TOY. So I had to take a photo of Jim, Pat and their (or should I say Jim's) new toy.

Chet18013

Attachments

• Biker and chick.jpg
    Biker and chick.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 74
Jim and Pat

Just had to join the biker crowd.  Nice pic.

You gonna haul that behind the MH and the SUV??? Or tie it to the top with the bicycles?

Chet18013 said:
Pat and Jim have stopped for a few days at our place on the journey north. Yesterday Jim and I went on a little trip to pick up his new TOY. So I had to take a photo of Jim, Pat and their (or should I say Jim's) new toy.

No WAY.  Where are your helmets?  I even make Terry wear his  helmetwhen he rides his Segway!

But you do look cool!

Betty

Lorna said:
Jim and Pat

Just had to join the biker crowd.  Nice pic.

Hi Lorna,

Thanks. I've wanted a bike since I was about 10. Now that I'm old and senile I figured it's time. :)

wendycoke said:
You gonna haul that behind the MH and the SUV??? Or tie it to the top with the bicycles?

I tried lifting it but couldn't make it to the top of the car. ;D It looks like I'll bet a tilting ramp to haul it on the back of the coach.

Betty Brewer said:
No WAY.  Where are your helmets?  I even make Terry wear his  helmetwhen he rides his Segway!

But you do look cool!

Betty

Betty,

I moved the bike into position with my feet on the ground all of about 20'. I won't be riding without a helmet. I don't have one yet but did use my bicycle helmet to ride around Chet's yard. I was going slower than I do on the bike. :) Taking a picture with the helmet wouldn't have looked good. ;D Pat didn't ride and she won't be for a looong time. I need to be sure I can keep it upright with just myself on it.

Jim Johnson said:
Jim

Congrats on the new ride.  I know you have had the bug for a while.  Is it a V-Star or a Victory?  Ditto on the helmets, but know it was for photo reasons only.  Right??  Spend $75 and take the MSF riding course.  http://www.mass.gov/rmv/motorcycle/training.htm or  call 800 CC-RIDER  You will be glad you did, and so will I.

Hi JJ,

Thanks. Yes, I've had the bug for years but never acted on it.  It's a Hyosung GV250. Same bike that Bill Whetstone had before he got the V-star.

See my comments to Betty on the helmet. :)

I have already taken the course in FL and have my endorsement. Nobody should even think about riding without the training. It doesn't teach you everything but it does make you aware of what you really don't know. I've got lots of practicing to do.

Jim Dick said:
I won't be riding without a helmet.

Don't forget looking after the rest of your body. Boots, gloves, and a jacket - in that order - are what I'd recommend, but especially the boots. I almost fell over at a stop sign one day when a shoelace got wrapped around the shift lever. I haven't ridden without proper riding boots since. If you're riding in the desert, gloves and a jacket might be a bit hard to swallow, so omitting those is your call if you're willing to risk extra road rash if you fall over.

If you want to ride in cold weather, get chaps. You'll know why if you ride in jeans and the temp drops below the mid-50s.

One more safety thought: Ride as if nobody can see you, because even if they can, most people don't. I ride to work when weather permits, and more days than not someone does something stupid close enough to me to make it interesting.

Anyway, enjoy. Bikes are second only to airplanes (and maybe sailboats, depending on my mood) for entertainment value in a vehicle.

JGarrick said:
Anyway, enjoy. Bikes are second only to airplanes (and maybe sailboats, depending on my mood) for entertainment value in a vehicle.

Apparantly you have never powered thru a turn at 120mph on a race track.

Jim Dick said:
I moved the bike into position with my feet on the ground all of about 20'. I won't be riding without a helmet. I don't have one yet but did use my bicycle helmet to ride around Chet's yard. I was going slower than I do on the bike. :) Taking a picture with the helmet wouldn't have looked good. ;D Pat didn't ride and she won't be for a looong time. I need to be sure I can keep it upright with just myself on it.

Ok then.  Go for it and have safe fun.  Losing Don Jodan this past February brought it home once again to me that we should all do our dreams NOW.  Hence my new house.  It is so exciting to see the walls go up.  Keep us updated as to when Pat can ride behind you and send more photos!

Betty

rogerpotie said:
Jim,

You are not senile. You are becoming younger !!!!!!!!! ;)

Roger

Hi Roger,

Good to hear from you!!!! I am getting younger but senility explains my actions better. ;D ;D

Hi Joe,

You are correct. We had to have proper boots before they would let us take the course. I'm very used to tie shoes for riding bicycles. I always tuck the laces into the shoe so there's no chance of them getting caught in any of the mechanisms.

Gloves and jackets are also a good idea. Nothing stands up to a spill better than leather. I've had a very nice leather jacket for several years thanks to American Coach. Won it in a raffle. Now I have a use for it. :)

I've wanted to ride since I was about 10. Now I'll see if it's what I had envisioned. ;)

Betty Brewer said:
Ok then.  Go for it and have safe fun.  Losing Don Jodan this past February brought it home once again to me that we should all do our dreams NOW.  Hence my new house.  It is so exciting to see the walls go up.  Keep us updated as to when Pat can ride behind you and send more photos!

Betty

Hi Betty,

You are so right! I was reminded of it when I was in the hospital years ago and thought I might not come out of it. That's when we got the boat. As Joe always said, life is short, eat desert first.

I'm sure you are really excited about the house. Can't wait to see it. Keep a close eye on them. They're probably better than the workers at TGO. There you have to watch their every move.

Pat won't be riding for probably a year. I found out in the course there's a lot more to it than just getting on and turning the throttle. Not like riding a bicycle! :)

proper boots

Jim

They told me in the emergency room after my accident that if I did not have boots on there would not have been much left of my left foot.

Shinny side up, rubber side down 8)

Jim Johnson said:
They told me in the emergency room....

They told me I wouldn't be here if I hadn't been wearing my helmet. The bike hit a lampost and I was propelled like a canonball.

I was surprised when I saw several apparent families of bikers riding without helmets when we enetered Arizona recently.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom