Junk mail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL Karl and nothing will stop Good Sam from sending junk mail.

We get nothing from Affinity Group since we asked them to flag our account to NOT send mail.  They don't even send our Good Sam renewal notices anymore :)

Glad you figured out the secret Ned. Whenever we asked them to stop it seemed like they increased the flow.

It may take several attempts to get it done, but it can be accomplished.

Tom said:
Glad you figured out the secret Ned. Whenever we asked them to stop it seemed like they increased the flow.

We had the same experience till I called Sue Bray and told her that I had hung a banner on the back of the MH that said " Boycott GS Affinity Junk mail Generators" and that it was going to ride there until The GS Junk mail stopped.  Haven't had a single piece of mail from them since.

Last time I contacted Sue Bray I didn't get the courtesy of a response, but I did get more junk mail. Took the best part of 10 years for it to stop. When we bought the new coach, it all started again, although I don't have a clue how they got my name and new mailing address (we'd move twice). I wonder if they check DMV registrations of every state?

You just didn't do it right.  I called and told the person answering the phone I was returning Sue Bray's call.  Sue was out of the office for a couple days but they connected me to the person filling in for her.  When I told her my problem she responded that all I had to do was send them a notice.  I indicated I had done that several times.  By that time she had my name up on her computer and she replied Oh my you have made at least 5 requests.  She sent us a handfull of Stamped pre-addressed envelopes and requested I send her the address label from any junk mail I contributed to GS.  We did as requested and all junk mail stopped.  The only thing we get now is the Highways magazine.  If we weren't lifetime members since before Rouse sold GS we would not be members now.

I'm not begging them via multiple phone calls to quit sending me the junk. I've been returning stuff in their pre-paid envelope with "please quit sending me this juink" in red on all internal paperwork. Next ones will be returned unopened. If that doesn't work, I guess it's bad press time.

I didn't have that many phone calls 3 calls 1 letter over a period of maybe 4 years then the phone call I mentioned to Sue when I told them I had the banner.  That one worked.

One call is too many Ron. Junk mail is an invasion of my space, property and time. It's a real PITA to deal with and should never have been sent to me in the first place. I have zero tolerance for it unless, of course, I request it. I occasionally catch folks leaving flyers in my mailbox, on my doorstep, or under my windshield wiper when parked at a mall; They get told in no uncertain terms to remove their junk and to never give me any again.

I feel the same as you do.  If at all possible I do not do business with anybody that sends me junk mail or makes telemarketing calls to my phone.  Like I mentioned in an earlier message the only reason we are even members of GS is because we became life members before Art sold to Affinity group.  I do the same as you do with any junk mail I do receive.  Fact if they have a prestamped envelope I try to add enough to make it heavy enough to raise the postage due.

Most junk mail arrives addressed in a window envelope, so that the internally addressed card acts as your ID if you choose to respond.

A technique I believe has reduced our junk mail, especially from the banks and financial institutions that send pre approved credit cards, is to apply a self adhesive, opaque label over the window of the envelope.

I write on the label:  Return to Sender..Junk Mail refused.

I believe the volume of junk mail has substantially been reduced for me, by using this method.

Good suggestion re the opaque label over the envelope window Steve. I normally open and shred anything that appears to be a credit card offer. There have been numerous reported cases of thieves retrieving such mailings that folks have tossed in the garbage and the thieves have applied for the credit card under the homeowner's name. They watch the incoming mail and intercept the newly-issued cards as they arrive.

The fact that I feel compelled to open and shred this stuff does nothing to lessen my displeasure at having received the junk.

The problem with the "Return to Sender" and other ideas to get back at the junk mailers is that WE end up paying for it in time, and therefore money, spent by the USPS to do that. They don't open them anyway (no cost to them) and we end up subsidizing them with cheap bulk-mail rates while our postage continues to go up. Best just to use them to start your next Forum campfire! Some otherwise intelligent people will argue that the volume of junk mail keeps our rates down, but it takes just as much time (save presorting by zipcode) to hand deliver that cheap piece of mail as it does for our $.37 first-class (another joke) letter. :mad: Besides, bulk rate doesn't get returned to sender; it gets trashed.  "Save a tree; eat a bulk junk mailer" ;D

Karl said:
The problem with the "Return to Sender" and other ideas

But, returning the stuff in their pre-paid return envelope will be returned and opened.

Back
Top Bottom