Junk Title any way to fix this in Wisconsin? ANYTHING honestly, I need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

familyfirst

So we purchased a travel trailer 2016 Keystone Sprinter 316BIK model.  We got it home and saw a letter in the file from the person we bought it from stating that we cannot title it in WI because it has a junk status.  We need to be able to use this.  We have seen that it has been repaired.  An oak tree had fallen on the two slides on the one side and a branch went through the roof and has been repaired and sealed.  There is a statement that says that the frame was fine and not damaged from the seller.  What can we do now?  I will try anything to try to get this thing licensed, as I spent so much money now and really need to be able to use this.  I could care less about getting insurance on it.  I just want to be able to title it and use it so that we can take it with us one time a year camping.  We only drive about an hour away and really need to be able to do this.  ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Welcome to the Forum!

If this was sold without revealing the bad title, I would demand my money back as it was sold under false pretense.

As far as the title, contact the state DMV and ask them this question.  They are the ones who will issue any title.  It will likely require an inspection and possibly other paperwork from the original appraisal, the repair shop, and anything else they may want.  Proof that it was still roadworthy after the damage may go a long way.  DMV will not care about the condition of the "house", only the frame, running gear, brakes, lights, tires, etc.

travel trailer is NOT JUNK but...  we purchased a travel trailer 2016 Keystone Sprinter 316BIK model.  We got it home and saw a letter in the file from the DMV to the guy we bought it from saying he cannot title it in WI because it has a junk title status.  We need to be able to use this.  We called the man we bought it from and he said the frame is fine and that if we go to ARkansas we can title it there and transfer the titled to WI.  He told us that it was damaged in a storm and the insurance thought it was a total but it was fixed and then it was sent in and the labeled junk (on accident he said) but then it was NEVER fixed.  We checked the damage areas and all slides work and have been repaired and the branch that went through the roof was redone and everything.  We have seen that it has been repaired.  An oak tree had fallen on the two slides on the one side and a branch went through the roof and has been repaired and sealed and we checked the entire thing over a lot.  There is a statement that says that the frame was fine and not damaged from the seller.  What can we do now?  I will try anything to try to get this thing licensed, as I spent so much money now and really need to be able to use this.  I could care less about getting insurance on it.  I just want to be able to title it and use it so that we can take it with us one time a year camping.  We only drive about an hour away and really need to be able to do this.  ANY SUGGESTIONS?  please pm me or help me please!!!!!!!!!

He did say it had storm damage and was repaired and when we were there picking it up he said it was inspected and has paperwork for the frame and everything and gave us the file.  We thought this meant it was okay for the DMV to title etc.  Is there anything we can ever do with a junk title in Wisconsin to at least get it licensed in our name so that we can take it on the road one time a year for a week of camping?  Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks.

Yes.  They said the junk title would have to be fixed by the person that sent it in as junk instead of salvage.  I don't know how we do that when it was storm damage and then sold to auction.  then  the guy that got it sold it to us after it was all fixed but he said all of the damage was fixed, and it is, but the title is not something I can just fix unless I track down everyone unless anyone knows anything else.  The DMV woman sounded unsure about the information she was telling me.  I would so greatly appreciate any type of suggestions or any tips, hits, or way to get this dang thing licensed or a new vin number or anything at all we could try.  I don't know how any of this works but was told we could do that and then just retitle it.  I really don't know how that happens or if we need to have it inspected or anything but we need to do what we can here.  thank you.

I would say you bought yourself a pile of trouble.  Take it back, get your money back.  It will never be worth what you paid for it.  Salvage/scrap titles stay with the product till death.  It may have been fixed, but by who and how good of a job did they do?  Did they fix the frame or just put a bunch of band aids on it?

Contact ther DMV.. They should have a list of Vehicle Inspectors who come out and  Verify that it is now once again a safe and serviceable vehicle.  You pay the inspector a fee for the inspection (Set by law) and he signs off and certifies the trailer for use and title.  The title may be labeled differently but it will be a good title you can use.

The inspector i often a police officer but not all can do the inspections.  DMV Should have the list.

The seller took advantage of your innocence and ignorance. Probably just shy of the legal definition of swindling, though. He was probably upfront about the damage and repair, but glossed over the fact that the title says it was "junked" rather than "rebuilt salvage".  The letter in the file is part of his proof that you were advised what type of title it had when you bought it, so that skirts the usual laws about this sort of thing.  You probably got it at a relatively low price too, in recognition of its as-is condition and "junked" status.  Note that "junk" here is a legal status, meaning the seller states the vehicle could never be used again. He doesn't have to be right about that, but it is what it is.

Wisconsin DMV states that once a title is labeled as "JUNK", it can NEVER be titled or licensed again.  Here is a quote from the Wisconsin DOT website:

Junk the title if you junk the vehicleIf you sell your vehicle as junk, and you don't want the vehicle to be driven again, write the word "Junk" across the title before you give it to the buyer or salvage dealer.
If you lost your title, you don't need a replacement title to junk the vehicle. You can show the certificate of vehicle registration or Confirmation of Ownership as proof you own the vehicle, and sign a junk bill of sale.
Note: Once a vehicle is junked, it can never be titled or licensed again, even if someone repairs or restores it.
The above seems to say that you can park the trailer on your property and use it, but you can never take it on the road as a licensed vehicle.

If the seller won't take it back voluntarily, you can try to sue him for fraudulently misrepresenting the sale. A lawyer can advise on how practical (and expensive) that may be. You can also report it to the Wisconsin DOT/DMV authorities, but there isn't much they can do if the seller is not a registered dealer.

This just sucks.  He did hand us the paperwork after we signed everything and were leaving.  On the drive home (2 1/2 hours) I saw it in there and had many questions.  He said it had storm damage but was repaired and he even had it inspected and a letter stating the frame was fine.  He does have that but it was from the seller he got it from NOT THE DMV.  I was so upset.  IDK what to do.  I really don't want a huge headache but would like to be able to use this camper since that is why we go it.  I called the DMV again today and am going to check into maybe licensing it in another state then or something.  IDK.  on the letter from the DMV it says it cannot be licensed here in WISCONSIN. I don't know if that means other states may license it.  It is at least worth checking into I guess.  I will have it inspected and stuff.  I am okay with that.  I am just so disappointed that I want to cry!  Thank you to everyone that offered some advice.  ANy other suggestions would be great.

Each state has its own laws regarding titles. Wisconsin's happens to be very restrictive regarding junk/scrap vs a salvage rebuild; others may not and might allow a certification by an authorized safety inspector.  Good luck.

So from what I understand you did not get a title from the seller just a bill of sale. Why not see if the seller can get a title for the trailer in his state and then sign it over to you.

With the new laws to prevent title laundering you may find it hard to find a state to license it in. Specially after Katrina laws were passed to stop storm damaged vehicles from getting clean titles in other states.

You have a huge headache right now and the only real way to be  rid of it is to get your money back if you can. Otherwise find a a camp ground that like were you can park the rig permanently.

He has what is called a "branded title", meaning one that includes a status that comes with restrictions.  Each state has their own definitions for various "brands", but this is the first I've ever heard of one that cannot ever be reversed by passing  safety inspection.

Hail damage in Illinois requires junking the vehicle.  A friend's daughter lost her 3 year old car this way when a freak hailstorm dented the roof and hood of her car.  It had to be junked, the state wouldn't allow it to be repaired.

Put it up on a flat bed utility trailer and haul it that way. That or pay the fine for transporting a junk titled vehicle. The fine may be relatively cheap.

You might speak to a title company or title service.
They know the laws and loop holes of various states.
A  friend of mine was able to get a title for a truck through a title service, think it cost him $500.

Pretty crappy of the seller to fleece you like that.
Have you spoken to the seller about this?

Living in WI I can tell you that your best bet is to go to DMV and talk with someone face to face.  Talking over the phone opens up to different persons every time you call and possibly getting different opinions as you never get the same person every time you call.  Someone would tell you face to face what can or cannot be done.  Expect to spend some time waiting as DMVs offices are full of people with all sorts of problems, that has been our experience.  If it cannot be licensed you may want to choose a park to settle it permanently as someone suggested.  I don't know how you plan to license it in another state if you live in WI, except if you have a relative to whom you can transfer it first. MHO

Back
Top Bottom