Just a Topic for Grins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaajoad

At the KOA site, they have a cartoon posted where someone in an RV says there's just one thing wrong about camping at Christmas time - no chimney.

Okay, so that's cute. But it got me to thinking. Is what most of us do really camping? My wife would no more go camping than fly to the moon. I'm not a real big fan of sleeping on the ground, either. Is enjoying a nice salmon dinner with cold chablis, followed by a movie and ending with a nice snooze in a queen-sized bed really camping? A hot shower in the morning and a scrambled egg and muffin breakfast with cold juice from the fridge and hot coffee at the touch of a button - is that camping?

we've only gone on a few trips - that will change when the weather breaks - but at one site I watched a couple struggle with their tent. Must have taken them a half-hour. I felt kind of bad for them as I reached for another cold beer from the dining table  ;D

I'm not being elitist. I understand tents are what many can afford and I'll bet a few who could buy and sell me just plain like to camp with a tent.

But - is a MH really camping?

JMO - No!  To me, it is like taking your motel suite along for the ride. 

Part of the camping experience is "roughing it".  That includes pitching a tent, sleeping on the ground (even though an air-mattress is permissible and probably adviseable ;D , and cooking over a camp-fire or site-provided charcoal grill.  No bathrooms and no showers, unless the site has them. 

I've tent-camped (camping) and back-packed for two weeks (really rough camping) and RV-ing just ain't it.   

RV-ing is more like....well, it's more like heaven!  :D

JMHO,

Ayn

I used to camp at state run campsites on islands on Lake George NY.  Had a 14 ft square cabin tent with vertical sides and air mattresses.  Propane grill, Hot showers every night,  Picked up ice every other day, shopping for food every 4 or 5 days, pit privy.  People told me that that wasn't "camping" either.
Art

RVing really is more like HEAVEN!  We've camped a lot and probably every time we camped, no matter how nice we had it, we commented that it would be so much better if we had a camper of some type.  Sleeping on the ground sucks, even with an air mattress.  Sex on the ground sucks, even with an air mattress. 

Years ago I heard that camping means taking everything you own to a remote location where you can pretend you don't have a house.  RV-ing is SOOOOOO much nicer than camping.  I love to have a fire, and I even like cooking over a fire, but that wears off after a couple of meals.  Sometimes it's hard to not have your mornay and hollandaise sauces curdle over a campfire.  You can make some pretty dang good nachos in a covered skillet over a fire too, providing you bring along sour cream and avacados.  I would always volunteer to make the trips to the store for ice and whatever so I could use the flush toilet in the store rather than the latrine at the campground.  The part about camping that I hate the MOST is unpacking after at trip. 

I call it RVing. We've done the camping "thing" -- and it's nothing like being in an RV.  :) (We stopped camping when the ground became harder and harder. I'm sure it wasn't that we were getting older . . .  :))

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom