Just bought my first RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddie O

Hi everybody!  I just bought my first RV.  It's a 28' 1991 Ford Travelmaster Signature Series.  It has 42,000 miles on it, and it runs well.  It just passed CA smog no problem.  Seems like everything works (generator, heater, AC, water, microwave, oven/stove, fridge/freezer) and the tires are in good shape.  I haven't tried the hydraulic leveling jacks yet.  The roof does need to be resealed, and it has a leak at the vent in the bathroom.  I hope to get her in good shape so I can take the family on a road trip this summer, maybe to Brice and Yellowstone.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!

Gizmo100

Congrats on the "New Toy" and Welcome to the forum.

I recommend spending a night or two in the RV while close to home. It's amazing the things you will forget. It also gives you a chance to try out/test all the features of the RV.

Rene T

Site Team
Daddie O said:
Hi everybody!  I just bought my first RV.  It's a 28' 1991 Ford Travelmaster Signature Series.  It has 42,000 miles on it, and it runs well.  It just passed CA smog no problem.  Seems like everything works (generator, heater, AC, water, microwave, oven/stove, fridge/freezer) and the tires are in good shape.  I haven't tried the hydraulic leveling jacks yet.  The roof does need to be resealed, and it has a leak at the vent in the bathroom.  I hope to get her in good shape so I can take the family on a road trip this summer, maybe to Brice and Yellowstone.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!

Congrats on your new toy. One thing that caught my eye is that you said the tires are in good shape. You can't go by the outside appearance. You need to check the date of manufacture. If they are 7 or 8 years old they must be replaced.
What Gizmo said is real good advice. I would take a pad of paper and have two columns. One for must have items and the other for nice to have items. When you're done, only pack the must have items. If you pack everything you would end up by overloading the rig.  If there's something you need while camping, there are WalMarts all over the place.  Do not take things out of your house unless you have two of them. It will be a real PITA moving things back and forth.

Arch Hoagland

Welcome aboard!

Times 2 on the tire age as Rene mentioned.

You need to get some reservations made very soon for any trips during the summer when school is out.

I'd also suggest doing some local trips to work out any problems that might be lurking.

Daddie O

Thanks for the advice!  I had the tires checked out by Les Schwab (local tire dealer) and he said the tires were purchased there in 2016 with a date code of 2215 (meaning 22nd week of 2015).  Only 5k miles have been put on them since purchase.  My top priority is getting the roof sealed and water damage (some around the vent and some on the floor) in the bathroom repaired .  Also want to recaulk around all the windows.  Just hoping for some dry days.  Here in California it's been dry for what seems like forever, but now when I need it to be dry we get rain  :eek:

I will look into making reservations.  I will do some fairly local campgrounds (within a couple hundred miles) before I try hitting the road for a long trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrosbyDave
Top Bottom