Just Feeling "USED"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billk42

Spent our second weekend in our "new" pre-owned motor home.  We have a 1992 Holiday Rambler Imperial, it is in excellent shape both inside and out and has all kinds of amenities.  We are very pleased with it so far.  My question/comment is....did we buy a coach that is too old?  a little late now I suppose to ask???  We love it, but when we camp (2 times now) we see lots and lots of new "fancy" coaches and fairly new "used" coaches and it has me wondering if we have made a mistake purchasing an older machine?

Don't second guess yourself.  If you are happy with your rig's performance, enjoyed yourself and didn't have problems then you did GOOD! :)

If this is your first rig, then enjoy yourself; learn from the experience; and you will be much better prepared when you decide to upgrade.  Be comforted that at this point your rig is not likely to further devalue unless you neglect it and eventually, when you decide to upgrade, you are likely you get most of your current investment back.

Enjoy!!!!

:)

As long as you love it I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks or has.  I found
that even when you buy a new one there is always someone else
that is newer or bigger, but someone has to enjoy the older ones too! ;D
I once traded a unit I loved for the same reason and would give anything to have it back.
Besides I bet your payment or lack there of is much better 8)

If you like your "new" used coach, who cares what anyone else thinks? Enjoy what you have.

Enjoy

Billk, The only drawback I see is what we ran into last year...  If your rig is over 10 years old (which it is and ours was - also in very good condition), many campgrounds won't take you.  My hubby suggested that when they ask "how old is your rig?" when making a reservation, I should have said just a few months, since that's how long we had it...  Don't think that would have worked though.... Gail

Intreesting,  In all my travels and 29 years of camping (next week) I've only seen one case where a camper was asked to do something about his rig.. And this one was not only old, it looked like what we call a "Fugitive from Fritz" (That's Fritz recycling, they take cars, trucks, motor homes and ... Well when the process is complete they look like new... As in there is a sticker from the factory in the window.. (They chop them up, melt them down and sell them to auto plants to make into new vehicles)

I will say I've seen better looking rides in junk yards

But 10 (or 20) years on a motor home with good care is not long at all  I have seen many in that age range thta still looked very good

I agree that 10 years isn't old for a motorhome and that it's how it looks, not how many years it has on it. However, there are campgrounds that say "no rig over 10 years old" and some do ask the model year when you make a reservation. I remember a few years ago when we were looking at places in Bullhead City and most of them said no units over 10 years old. I guess they're trying to keep out 'junk' but there are probably better ways of doing that than setting an arbitrary age.

Welcome to the world of RVing!  Every year when the new models come out they have more bells and whistles and I wonder if I should make the plunge and get a new motorhome ... my wife and I enjoy looking ... but then we see the price and what the real cost would be to get a few new toys and the old MH looks better and better.

In our wonderful litigious society, campground owners aren't allowed to make value (discrimatory) judgements about whose rig looks good enough to be in their park, so they have to use arbitrary rules instead.  Most simply don't enforce the 10 year old rule if the rig is in good shape. If yours looks fine and you aren't opposed to gambling a little, I would answer that it is 9 years old. 

:)
Thank You to all who replied, I feel better, My wife and I love the "new" motor home and intend to enjoy it regardless, its older, but is ours and it is paid for.

The easiest way that I can sumise the outside appearance of your RV is "Never Judge a Book by it's Cover".  That's what the outside of the RV is, just the cover.  I'm a fulltimer in a 1995 Santara Class A.  It's outside isn't anything fantastic to look at, but that serves a purpose.  It's just plain white and rather boring to look at.  I've never bothered to put a pavillion on the side.  Just new white gelcoat.  I've focused all my attention to the interior.  I've had a couple "Snobby" campground managers that questioned me on my rig's age when I've pulled up.  I simply invite them in and after looking at the interior of the vehicle, the teak trimming and "CarPuter" upgrades I've done, they have no problem with my rig.  The campground mgr's main concern is that with older vehicles the holding tanks leak and many "weekend warrior" types simply drive away, some leaving raw sewage at their site.  I can't say that I blame them (the campground mgrs) for this concern, I wouldn't want to have to clean that up either.  Keep your systems well maintained and be responsible about your camping.

The purpose of my "Boring" outside is to NOT draw attention to my rig.  I don't like people snooping or 'scoping' my property.  Especially with all the "CarPuter" upgrades I've installed a stereo thief would have a hayday.  I've remodeled almost everything in my rig and subsequently it's taken alot of time and money.  When I've invited (select few) campers to come over for a beer or dinner they are simply amazed at the interior.  I've been told "This is NOTHING like the outside of your rig".  That's where I would direct you to concentrate the labors of your work.

Besides, how much time do you really spend outside your rig?  I spend the majority of my time on the inside!

Eric and Levi
(Levi's the dog)

Almost everyone of us has seen a newer rig that makes us start wondering about an up-grade.  This is especially true for me when something needs fixing. But for my two cents worth for your first rig you did the right thing.  There is a huge learning curve when you start this adventure and what better way to learn then on an RV that is paid for!!  When the time comes for your next rig you will know better what you need and want in a newer RV.  Enjoy ... if there is someone in the campground that doesn't make you feel welcome because of the age of your RV they deserve to be left alone.

The used is a good idea, I think.  We just bought a 25' '78 Yellowstone bumper pull trailer for $2000.  There's a few things that needed fixing but I don't mind doing that.  It's a nice little project.  Also, I couldn't see the sense in spending piles of money on something that will spend 95% of the time sitting there.  A tacky old trailer is just our speed.  Just something to get away for a few days on the weekend or on a trip up north.  I suppose a motor home is a different story; you've got an engine and transmission to contend with, but as long as the trailer has good tires, bearings, and roof, you're loaded for bear.  Everything else can be pretty easily and relatively cheaply dealt with.

Elliot
Central MN

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom