Just got my new PD9245 converter- install question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgnprof

I am replacing my 6345 Magnetek with a Progressive Dynamics PD9245 converter.  The converter comes with a 3 prong plug - would you guys recommend cutting the plug and splicing it into my 110V wires, or should I put an outlet in at the converter box and plug it in?  If I put in an outlet, can someone provide some direction?  Will the plug always be hot - if I am hooked up to shore power (I am assuming yes)?  If I am running the generator, the automatic switch will then run 110v to the outlet as well - right?

ryan

I would recommend the outlet and box.. WHY: Weil,  Two reasons:

1: if you EVER have to replace that PDI converter.. Makes it kind of easy to do,, (just unplug)

2: I occasionally find myself on very limited "Shore" power.. When this happens I can pull the plug on my PDI converter and plug it in JUST it, not the whole motor home.. Thus making sure I draw no more than 10 amps and protecting the breaker inside the building where I can't get at it to restet it.

rgnprof - good choice of hardware.  Hopefully you got the dongle with it (the 'charge wizard).  If not, ask them about it - it's a fine accessory to have. Price is right, too.

I'd install a receptacle and plug in the converter for the reason mentioned above plus sometime you may want to also plug in a light or something.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas...

Let me follow-up with a few plug related questions: I have 2 power lines coming into my coach - a 110v from the genny and  110v from shore power.  These connect to an automatic transfer switch and then connect to my circuit breaker.  I have a black and a white wire then connecting to my Magnetek converter, with an earth ground connecting to a ground bar.  I am assuming that if I want to wire in a new outlet in this area, that I would wire it after the circuit breaker and just mount the plug as close as possible using the existing wires - make sense? 

Another option that I tracked down online - how about cutting off a fairly heavy extension cord and using the female end wire it directly to the circuit breaker.  I now have a convenient 'pigtail' to plug my new PD converter in to.  Any thoughts? 

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom