"...just not that bright."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ITCHY FEET-Steve

I have, what I consider a daunting task.

To start,  I have a 20 unit rooming house. Just re-financing now to do renos on the bldg., and will have 29 when done. Oh yeah the re-finance will hopefully PUT US IN A MOTOR HOME!!

Right now I am trying to design the total system. -build computer -set up 10-16 cameras -whats needed on th MH end for maximum High speed internet -lord knows what else!

Love these new-fangled machines. 10 yrs. ago I couldn't consider leaving this type of business in the hands of a manager and still be able to sleep. Should be able to keep a good handle on things with the cameras.

As far as building the comp, all I've got is info some info from a camera seller as to what is needed to satify the cameras, and a really neat monitor! From the box up I need help. motherboard-right on thru. Currently planning the computer at tiger direct. I have bought from them before and they have about the best overall prices I've seen, and good to deal with.

The cameras I'm looking at are made by "Axis". I currently have 2 sony cameras that are still in the closet. Have an issue with the Belkin router I'm using. I also have a D-link DI-624 router. At one point I had the cams working on the D-link, but had issues with WiFi in the bldg., witch the Belkin fixed. That system is working well -don't want to mess with sucess. I am going to put in a second line for WiFi and TV in the nurses residence, which will house 6 units when we move out. I plan to use the D-link to service these units, as they are out of range for the Belkin. I will also use this for my cameras.

I did have the sonys working on the D-link before.

Sooooo...Ya see what I'm up agin. Any smart people that wanna jump in and help me figure it out....I WOULD BE SO
APPRECIATIVE!!

The weather here in central Alberta is cold and damp the last cpl. days......Jeez I envy you guys that are mobile.......

Tks. -sc

Well, I used to design things like this, but I'm sure Nedo will have better ideas.............Oh, I used Burl equipment, same as at the Super Max prison.

The only issue I see is possible, and I stress POSSIBLE, limits on the number of clients a router will handle, some have limits.

You may also have an issue with Wi-Fi range,  if so, both issues can be solved by using two routers, one for each end of the building

You gents simply amaze me with all of your technology.  And  I have trouble trying my shoes.  I really appreciate you gents  really.

Are you trying to do full motion video or just periodic snapshots?  If the former, bandwidth might be a problem over wireless, and accessing all those over the internet will also be a problem.

A more detailed description of exactly what you're trying to do would be helpful.

The forthcoming Wifi 'N'  [802.11([n)] standard should solve both the distance and bandwidth limitations for video or rapid still-frame. Equipment built to the actual standard should be available by early 2007 and wifi hardware based on the draft 'N' standard is available now from all th emajor vendors.  It is sold under various names, e,g, RangeMax, MiMo, etc. because it is not guaranteed to be compatible to the final 'N' standard when it finally gets approved sometime in the next 3-6 months.

Sorry I took so long gettin' back. The weather here ain't great. Gettin' all my furnaces ready for another Alberta winter. Anybody got any valium? I hate winter!! Better be my last here. Thanks all for the input- much appreciated.

Ned- I would like full motion, but may have to settle for less. According to the salesman (wouldn't BS me now, would he?) and the stuff I've seen on the net, it should be OK.The cams will be motion activated. As the building is not that busy, there shouldn't be more than 3-4 on at any given time. How are bandwidth requirements calculated?

This is the link for the cameras. http://www.globalbusinesssolution.net/ I'm thinking of starting with 8 Axis 207 for indoor and 2 214's for outside.I have seen better prices elsewhere, but can fight that out when I know what I need. Keep in mind it's Can$. They also want 1500 for software. With the sony cams the software comes with cam.

I am trying to build the computer that will accomodate the cameras on one monitor and my usual stuff on another. This is the comp that will be installed in MH. Rough budget for comp -2000. (hopefully realistic) Want max bang for the buck.

Haven't had a chance to check out the 802.11 n, Gary. I suppose this will make everything else I bought obsolete. Story of my life.

Anyway, gotta run for now. Thanks guys!
Steve

I can't find any Axis 207 or 214 products on that web site.  Are you sure of the model numbers?

The bandwidth is a function of the image size and frames per second.  Color requires more than B&W.

Well Steve there are some considerations on the cameras. If you use domes to cover them, then you have some environmental protection, people can't see the direction they are pointed, and you can use "blank" domes as a deterent. The specifications on the camera's should be within the temperature range and humidity levels you will encounter. You mentioned "outdoor" cameras....will they have a heater or wiper? Some cameras are sold wihout lenses and they have to be bought separate. You need to determine the angle of coverage you want, and make sure the lenses can do that "cone." Of course there are cameras/lenses that you can remotely zoom....if that is a consideration. Don't know if you are going to use a switcher or multiplexer? Will the video be recorded?.....
Is backup power (UPS) a need???

Back
Top Bottom