Just registered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bholtz

My name is Bill, and I have a 1989 Holiday Rambler, that I use at different job sites, rather than getting a hotel.?
The RV is old, and the paint is sort of faded, but the interior looks great.? I spent the summer replacing carpet, drapes, and blinds.? Just wish I could do something about the exterior fade.? I think a new decal or stripes would make a big difference, but don't know where to even start looking.? I contacted a Holiday Rambler dealer about a year ago, and they didn't even want to talk to me about it.? It isn't a $300,000 package, but it sure serves my needs well.?
Thanks for the chance to ask for help.

Bill:

Don't know if this would work on your HR but we have friends who carefully removed the old striping (that was mostly horizontal), rejuvinated the fiberglass with color restorer, and then had a paint shop paint an approximately 2' wide stripe down the side of the coach to cover up the fade difference from the old striping. They then used pin striping tape over the new paint for contrast.

The effect was great, looks like a new coach but their cost for having the one stripe painted was quite reasonable, around $1000 if I remember correctly.

Welcome to the RV Forum Bill.  I'm sure you will get some very good suggestions here. I have heard of some folks that remove the stripping using a heat gun then having a paint shop paint new stripping where the old tap type stuff was.  Glad you found us.

Jeff is right on the money, on bringing back the color.  Just plan on a time consuming job and lots of elbow grease. Than after your painting is done (if that's what you do) apply a couple of good coats of old fashon paste wax.  You'll be proud of your new unit. If you want it done right it takes the time and elbow grease for sure.  Good luck and happy RVing.

As the others have said, the first task is to remove the old decals, which generally takes heat (hair dryer of heat gun) and lots of gentle peeling - and patience!  You can use a soft plastic or wood blade to aid in the peeling - something that won't scar the fiberglass.

Rv manufacturers change their decal patterns fairly often and don't keep a supply of old ones for folks like you, so painting is the only option.  And if the fiberglass itself is badly oxidized (likely in a 1989 rig), there isn't much that will restore that either.  You can try boat polish designed for removing oxidation, but the finish is probbaly beyond that.  Painting is the only option there as well.  That's likely to be expensive, but if you have fixed the interior nicely, it may be worth it.  If you do a lot of the prep work yourself and are willing to accept something less than perfection in the final finish, you may be able to save some $$.  By less than perfection, I mean agreeing with the shop that you will inspect the result from 6 feet away rather than with a microscope.  ;)

Ron,

Heat guns do work on removing decals. One must be very careful not to overheat the fiberglass as it may cause delamination. I've used a heat gun removing other dealers stickers. ;D

Bill, Also when removing Decals and emblems, after peeling them off, go to Wally World and in the paint Dept. get a product called Wipe Away.  Green can, takes a little elbow grease, but sure does the job.  I've used it myself on older vehicle with decals and it definitely works.  Removes latex paint, lipstick,(watch the partying and you won't need it)(LOL) and crayon  plus many others.  I keep it handy all the time.  Hope it helps and good luck with happy motoring.

Good point Jim.  one does need to be carefully not to apply too much heat.  I never have dealer stickers on my vehicles since I refuse to accept a new vehicle with the dealers advertising on it. 

Ron said:
Good point Jim.  one does need to be carefully not to apply too much heat.  I never have dealer stickers on my vehicles since I refuse to accept a new vehicle with the dealers advertising on it. 

Ron,

Lazy Days put two of their stickers on my Dream. Fortunately they were brand new and could be peeled off very easily. No heat required. :)

Jim Dick said:
Ron,

Lazy Days put two of their stickers on my Dream. Fortunately they were brand new and could be peeled off very easily. No heat required. :)

I had told Ken Ware right up front that I did not want any dealer markings.  When we picked the coach up in Richfield, UT I Even checked for them even though it had came straight from the factory.  So I didn't have to remove any. ;D

Back
Top Bottom