Just retired

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't want to sidetrack this thread but someone suggested that a Class A has a little more room at the same length than a class C. It seems like the opposite is true. A class C utilizes the space over the cab, generally as a huge sleeping area, and can be utilized to very quickly stow items that would otherwise be in the way of foot traffic. In a class A that space is lost since the cab space goes right to the ceiling. I understand that a van has a little more hood sticking out front than a class A has but that seems negligible.

yes and no A class can have maybe up to 6 to 8 feet longer but the biggest is the c class carrying load is not very good and could be over loaded very quickly.

But a class C likely has a bit more drag at highway speeds, though the class A isn't exactly streamlined, so that will affect things, too.
Well when I mentioned "due to design" You nailed what I was talking about.
Some Class A's are a bit better aerodynamically than others.

That said... By 2000 they had the engine control software fairly well designed... I don't know how much improvement there has been since over at Chrysler and my contacts in the company I no longer have access to... But my Jeep, which is Larger, and less aerodynamic, and heavier by more than 2x, than my Neon.. gets better gas millage (From low to mid 20s freeway to around 30 at 65MPH and near 40 at 55) I blame the 9 speed tranny. Oh and the jeep is all wheel drive too.

As you can see, there are as many opinions as there will be people answering this post.
Sit down, make a list of must-haves. And a list of what you will be willing to compromise on.
Then walk through as many units as you can. You will know what is right for you once you step your foot in it. And hire a certified RV inspector once you have a unit that you are serious about. The money spent for a good inspector is well spent. And as someone already suggested, rent one (or more) and get a feel for it.
Make sure you educate yourself about GVWR and all those things.
Good Luck and see you at some campground some time.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread but someone suggested that a Class A has a little more room at the same length than a class C. It seems like the opposite is true. A class C utilizes the space over the cab, generally as a huge sleeping area, and can be utilized to very quickly stow items that would otherwise be in the way of foot traffic. In a class A that space is lost since the cab space goes right to the ceiling. I understand that a van has a little more hood sticking out front than a class A has but that seems negligible.
The A class may be lacking the “over the drivers” storage but it has huge pass through basement storage and MUCH more payload. Ask JudyJB about payload on a C class.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread but someone suggested that a Class A has a little more room at the same length than a class C. It seems like the opposite is true. A class C utilizes the space over the cab, generally as a huge sleeping area, and can be utilized to very quickly stow items that would otherwise be in the way of foot traffic.
It's true that a class C has the overhead bunk, but the driver's cab and the hood area combined take a lot of space that, in a class A, is floor space, and the driver and "copilot" seats in a class A swivel around and become easy chairs -- many even have a retractable foot rest -- becoming part of the living room, in addition to (as Rob says) the extra basement storage and the considerable extra carrying capacity, built on a stronger chassis, even at a 30' or so length.

I'm not saying that there aren't advantages to a class C for certain purposes, but space, strength and load capacity are not among them. Note that I'm not talking about Super C rigs -- they're a whole different ball game and usually are also diesel rigs on a truck chassis.

Realistically do you know what the fuel mileage difference would be between class A and class C?
You took the words out of my mouth !! Specially today's prices filling up a class A tank (s) VS a Class C Like the commercial says "What's in your wallet" Please don't get Us wrong a class A it's a beautiful thing no doubt I like some of the comments like rent a class A then rent a class C another comment I liked was pull a trailer and use the truck to move around if a class A breaks down you're stuck Thanks

Specially today's prices filling up a class A tank (s) VS a Class C
The cost of fillup is related to the tank size, as well as the fuel used, and a class A may well have a considerably larger tank than a class C, so that even at the same fuel mileage the class A will cost more. The 2010 Bounder 33U that I used to have had a 75 gallon fuel tank, while most class C rigs will hold less than that.

Also note that driving technique and winds and terrain (hills) will also have considerable effect on mileage, and may well obscure the slight difference in mileage, if any, between a given class A and a given class C.

I have some experience with larger vehicles I owned a farm supply store (sold it back in July) and had 3 different box trucks 2 being just under 26k and now I drive a school bus mainly for insurance but I have never driven either a class a or class c motorhome.
It's not really about the size, though some people do find it intimdating. The learning curve comes from the driver's seating position in a "cab-forward" design coupled with the higher seating (change of perspective). Most new owners have decades of "muscle memory" learned on cars or pickup trucks and some find it hard to unlearn their ingrained reactions and develop new ones. Others (like donn) get it quickly. Drivers who are comfortable with using the side view mirrors adapt faster. So do those who focus further down the road, as opposed to watching the road immediately in front of the cab.

Last edited:
As you can see, there are as many opinions as there will be people answering this post.
Sit down, make a list of must-haves. And a list of what you will be willing to compromise on.
Then walk through as many units as you can. You will know what is right for you once you step your foot in it. And hire a certified RV inspector once you have a unit that you are serious about. The money spent for a good inspector is well spent. And as someone already suggested, rent one (or more) and get a feel for it.
Make sure you educate yourself about GVWR and all those things.
Good Luck and see you at some campground some time.
Klee do you have any experience with a 2021 Jayco alanta?

Klee do you have any experience with a 2021 Jayco alanta?
No, I don't. But then, the Elantra Class A's are just Jayco Alante's, I might have to say yes. Our Vision is only our second RV. Our first was a Jayco Redhawk. I was very happy with it. Built quality was decent. Only little things that needed fixing. Nothing that you would not find in any other brand. The same goes for our current Vision 36A. There was an issue with the door, but that was taken care of. I would focus on floor plans and features, rather than the manufacturer. And make sure you find yourself a good dealer.
The Alante's are zippy little Class A's. You should be able to fit in any State or National park. Towing is still limited to 5000 pounds I think. Make sure you get one with 2 AC units. Trust me on that one. lol.

Back
Top Bottom