Just starting the research phase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elizaDC

We have three children (21, 17, 11), and are planning a 3-week trip out west next summer.  Never owned an RV, but have spent some time in my sister's 5th wheeler. 

Considering buying a used RV, making the trip (starting in Pensacola FL, west to Flagstaff, north to Salt Lake, north to Yellowstone), sharing the opportunity with other families (my husband's one of 13) by relaying in an out of Salt Lake, and then selling at the end of the season.  Is this blasphemous?  Are a bunch of newbies asking for trouble?  Will we spend all our time trying to figure our the RV lifestyle/techniques and -not- enjoying the visit?

Welcome to the RV Forum!  You're starting off right by asking questions.

Your excursion sounds exciting and is perfectly do-able and will be a greater success with less frustration if you continue asking questions.

Use the RV Forum to do all your research and to ask all your questions about every aspect of travelling with the RV you buy.  Remember there are no questions too simple and no question unworthy to be asked...it's the only way you will find out.

So jump into the Forum, participate in any ongoing discussion or start as many of your own as you wish.

We'll be looking forward to hearing about your plans and your queries

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Hope we can be of help in your search for an RV.  What kind are you looking to get:  travel trailer, 5th wheel trailer, Class C motorhome, or Class A?

elizaDC said:
Considering buying a used RV, making the trip (starting in Pensacola FL, west to Flagstaff, north to Salt Lake, north to Yellowstone), sharing the opportunity with other families (my husband's one of 13) by relaying in an out of Salt Lake, and then selling at the end of the season.? Is this blasphemous?? Are a bunch of newbies asking for trouble?? Will we spend all our time trying to figure our the RV lifestyle/techniques and -not- enjoying the visit?

You will learn quickly.  You will  have times when things don't go as planned and they will be the lifelong memories you cherish or tell lots of stories about. You may find that you really enjoy the RV thing and want to continue beyond this one adventure.    We see lots of rental RV units (here in Alaska)  and it makes me think that if you  know, completely know it will only be a one time trip, you might consider a rental. This is the place to ask your questions!

Betty

Buying an Rv and then selling in the same year  will be horrendously expensive.  Basically you will buy at retail and sell (if you are lucky enough to find a buyer fairly promptly) at wholesale. If you aren't lucky, you will have an Rv for sale for 6-12 months or even more.  You would probably be better off renting or leasing.  Lease rates for longer terms wil be much better than weekly rental rates.

One place that does longer term rentals is Innovative RV.  I have no idea if they are a quality firm to do business with or whether their rates are high or low. Caveat Emptor  8)

Carl Lundquist said:
Welcome to the RV Forum.  Hope we can be of help in your search for an RV.  What kind are you looking to get:  travel trailer, 5th wheel trailer, Class C motorhome, or Class A?

Looking at buying a used Class A (I'm thinking in the $35k-50k range), hopefully in Alabama or Tennessee (sister with the 5th wheeler is retired and lives in P'cola, FL, and has offered to travel and preview/test drive for us) sometime next March/April.  We'd pack out of DC the first week in June, and travel to pick up the RV, clean, oil change, outfit, etc.. then head west on a southerly route to the GC, Zion/Bryce, Salt Lake, and maybe as far as Tetons/Yellowstone, but I'm sure we'll run out of time.  With all my husband's family here in the DC area, we are signing up other families to fly out and take a week or two each, using SLC as a hub, and paying a moderate nightly rental.  At the end of the season, deending on how things go, we either set it up to sell in SLC, or drive it back and do this again next year.  We, however, would be the sole owners, just to keep the family/money thing in check.

My husband is Colombian, misses the Andes very much, and has never been out west.  Both sons have been to Philmont Scout ranch in northern New Mexico, so they've had a glimpse and a taste.  I travelled out west -by car- extensively as a chilld and teenager.  Our daugher has never been west of Tennessee or Alabama.  My hope is that, by starting research and window shopping now, we can plan an adventurous trip, "rent" the RV to other family members at a below-market rate for 6-10 weeks after we're done, and try and sell at a reasonable rate in SLC. 

I've already priced the same trip, (airfare, rental SUV, hotels, some restaruatn and some ice-chest meals, etc.) and it came out to $15,000.  Even if we take a bit of a loss on the sale, I think we can do this trip for substantially less.  Agree?

Crazy?

RV Roamer said:
Buying an Rv and then selling in the same year  will be horrendously expensive.  Basically you will buy at retail and sell (if you are lucky enough to find a buyer fairly promptly) at wholesale. If you aren't lucky, you will have an Rv for sale for 6-12 months or even more.  You would probably be better off renting or leasing.  Lease rates for longer terms wil be much better than weekly rental rates.

One place that does longer term rentals is Innovative RV.  I have no idea if they are a quality firm to do business with or whether their rates are high or low. Caveat Emptor  8)

Great points, thanks so much.  Would you feel the same if we bought a used Class A?  I've looked at the weekly rentals, which are really high, but will check out the leasing situation.  If I find any business ratings on Innovative RV, I'll holler.  Thanks again

ElizaDC,

In addition to the other concerns listed above, I would be concerned with your trip time frame.  We left Florida on April 3, doing the West tour (though we do not have a time limit and have been taking our time).  We live in Virginia with family in Alabama so I have an idea of travel time to get from DC to AL or TN.

You have allocated 3 weeks to travel from DC to AL or TN, pick up, clean, get an oil change for the MH and then travel West.  This seems to be a pretty aggressive schedule.  You will need time to buy all the goodies you will need to travel with plus pack it.  I think you have just lost at least a week of your 3 week travel time. 

Logistically, if you do not take everything with you to stock the MH, you need to buy pots/pans, dishes, silverware, glasses, plastic storage for leftovers, coffee pot, possibly crockpot,etc.  I typically wash all of these types of items before using.  Plus blankets, sheets, towels, etc. - same here - I wash before using.  All of this takes time.  (This list is by no means complete but gives you an idea).

Then you have to shop and buy all the "outside" stuff - hoses, etc.

The shopping alone would probably take you a day or two.  Oh yeah, and then there are groceries.

I believe there is information in the library about outfitting a new rig.  You may want to check it out!!

Just thought of a couple of other considerations.

If you are going to rent the RV to family members, make sure your insurance will cover others driving your RV and the insurance may handle it differently if they know you are renting it for money.

Also, if you can't sell the RV quickly or decide to keep it, where in the DC area can you store it and what is the cost? 

RVing is a great way to see this great country and I highly recommend it but would consider renting/leasing if it is to be used for only one trip or buying before your trip and get it outfitted if you decide you might want to use it beyond one vacation.

Darn  it's shame I'm not on the east coast area,  I'd consider selling mine, cause I probably won't be using it much for a while.

Back
Top Bottom