just thinking about rving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rookiervguy

I am a 33 year old with a wife and 2 young kids. My wife will not fly and we like to travel.  I am an eagle scout and like to camp.  My wife and I are looking at class A rv's and have some questions. We are both teachers and can travel all summer.  Are there any class A's we should stay away from? We are looking at Gulf Stream, Georgie Boy, Winnebago, foerest River, Monico, and others. Some people say that some of these really are not good and some are. can any guide us in the right direction????

rookiervguy said:
I am a 33 year old with a wife and 2 young kids. My wife will not fly and we like to travel.  I am an eagle scout and like to camp.  My wife and I are looking at class A rv's and have some questions. We are both teachers and can travel all summer.  Are there any class A's we should stay away from? We are looking at Gulf Stream, Georgie Boy, Winnebago, foerest River, Monico, and others. Some people say that some of these really are not good and some are. can any guide us in the right direction????

The first thing to do is check this site:

http://www.rv.org/

and purchase their guide.

Ask yourself the following questins.

What can I afford to pay?

How long do I plan to keep it?

Do I want gas or diesel power?

Do I want new or used?

Will we be staying in campgrounds all the time or will we be doing a lot of "boondocking"?

When you have answered these questions, it's time to start to narrow down your choices. This is where the experience of the members of this forum will be a big help.

Very few folks get it right the first try and usually trade severl times in the fist few years before they are satisfied. The average new RV changes owners in less than 5 years.

Here's a couple of sites to check to get a feel for the market.

http://www.motorhomesusa.com/used.htm

http://www.rvonline.com/

Have fun  in your search.

Chet

rookiervguy said:
I am a 33 year old with a wife and 2 young kids. My wife will not fly and we like to travel.? I am an eagle scout and like to camp.? My wife and I are looking at class A rv's and have some questions. We are both teachers and can travel all summer.? Are there any class A's we should stay away from? We are looking at Gulf Stream, Georgie Boy, Winnebago, foerest River, Monico, and others. Some people say that some of these really are not good and some are. can any guide us in the right direction????

Welcome to the RV Forum.  We are glad you found us.  I'm sure you will get some very good responses to your questions.  Please feel free to join in any of the discussions or start one of your own.

I would suggest starting out bey visiting  a dealer to see what is available that will fit your needs.  If possible visit rv shows so you have a chance to compare different brands and configurations side by side.  Ask questions here as they come up.

Welcome to the RV Forum, where you can feel free to ask all your questions. ? Chet has presented you with some very good questions to consider and if you could reply with additional insight into your plans, we can give you some direction.

I would suggest you consider brands that are known for customer support and service, even if the local dealer disappoints you. ?IOW do not count on the local dealer for service, because most of the time they will disappoint you, and by choosing a manufacturer which has a history of reliable support is important.

Monaco, Newmar and Fleetwood are such manufacturers with factory service centers you can visit. ?In addition these companies attend FMCA and other major rallies where they provide free service on your rig.

I do not have first hand experience with the other manufacturers you mentioned, but perhaps other Forum members can provide you with info.

Trailer Life Magazine, Motorhome Magazine and the FMCA Magazine contain reports of RV owners in their plights with RV manufacturers along with the outcome. ?These can give you some idea of how various companies deal with customer complaints.

Back
Top Bottom