Just trying to figure it all out . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat Scrabeck

Hello, all:

Living in AZ in the summer is pure hell so I am working very hard on finding an RV that will take me out of the heat and drop me in a cool and green place.  Actually, my daughter lives in Oregon so I figure that is where I will end up with stops along the Oregon Coast and trips into the forests.

My big dilemma is what kind of RV to buy.  My budget is around $22,000 and I am hoping I can find a rig in good shape that won't cause me too many problems--well, no problems is what I am anticipating.  I know--dumb, huh.  Surely there must be something out there that will fit my requirements and be in decent shape.  I think 22 to 25 feet is what I need--anything too big is pretty scary to me.  I need recommendations on what are the best motor homes to buy and would certainly appreciate any information from the forum members.  I like the set up of the Minnie Winnie so that gives an idea of the type of RV I am looking for. 

The RV Forum has lots of good information and I am looking forward to checking it all out. 

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Have a nice day.  It's cooling off in AZ--yippee :)

Check out a Fourwinds Chateau 28 ft. class C, easy to drive and maintain, lots of used ones out there.

Attachments

• imp3.jpg
    imp3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 15
I love the travel trailer idea with a good size pickup. That way you can unhitch the housing leaving the RV anywhere you wish for home and driving the pickup to town for groceries or supplies or just site see. I use to own a Motorhome but trade it in for the travel trailer for that reason because motorhome you have to pack up everything, put everything away to just drive to the store.

But that my logic...

I've owned 2 Tiffin Allegro motorhomes in the past.  One 26' and one 29'.  One in the 80's and one in the 90's.  Both were built on the Chevy chassis with a 454 gas engine.  Both were relatively trouble free, at least as much as possible with any motorhome.  You will always have issues with any motorhome, new or used, just a fact of RV life.

Back to type of RV.  I like Class A motorhomes because the available space is better utilized, IMHO.  The cabover bed in Class C motorhomes is almost useless unless you have small children that don't mind climbing up there to sleep (it's sort of an adventure for them).  Plus, those cabover spaces tend to develop leaks worse than a Class A on the front end.  The Class C is popular because the driving space seems more familiar being built on a van chassis, but after you get used to a Class A, it's just as easy to drive as a Class C.  Generally speaking, Class A motorhomes are built on a heaver chassis than a Class C and usually have more towing capacity and cargo capacity.

Budget wise, I don't think a Class C is any cheaper than a Class A used.  I bought both of my Allegro motorhomes for less money than your budget and both of them were in excellent condition and had low miles, so your budget is very reasonable to find a decent motorhome.  There are a lot of used units out there so take your time and find a floorplan that you like, regardless of the brand name of the coach.  Many manufacturers made 25' to 30' motorhomes in both Class A and Class C.  There are not as many Class A units under 25', but there have been a few through the years.

Good luck with your search.

Dan

If you like the floorplan of the Minnie Winne, there's nothing wrong with investigating that choice.  I owned a Minnie Winne for 15 years.  It served mne well, with no major issues and it was 25 years old when I finally traded it in.  I would give it high marks for reliability and quality.  JM2C

Steve

If you are a woman (Pat can be female or male!) traveling alone, I would recommend a smaller Class C instead of a trailer.  I think they're easier for women to handle and have the added safety advantage of not having to get out of the motorhome to go back to the kitchen or bathroom.  We had a 22-ft LazyDaze that we loved.  It was nice for two people but had the cabover bed if that's a problem.  We knew two widowed sisters who fulltimed in their 22-ft LazyDaze.  We had ours for a number of years and took many trips of months each.  As long as you don't intend to be a fulltimer, you can do with a smaller C until such time as you decide you want something larger or different.  And, by the way, don't let the Class A size intimidate you.  Many of us women on the RV Forum drive our 40-ft Class As towing a car.  They're actually easier to drive than a Class C.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom