Just Turned 70 Concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I turned 70 late last year. Is it time to turn in my Class A keys? I still have all my faculties. Just curious.
I'm 71. We stopped full-timing in our Class A last year. Bought a house in Florida. However, we still have the rig so we can get our of Florida in the summers.

Right now we're in Alabama heading to the midwest to meet up with equally old family in their Allegro Bus.

Today, I realigned our "living room" slide, replaced our old ceiling vents (16 of them), removed and refastened a few pieces of loose woodwork in the coach plus repaired a broken bit of trim that I've been postponing for three years...

DW ran to the store while I did my stuff with rock 'n roll blaring all the while.

This is our short trip for the year - only about three weeks - we have a 3-4 month trip planned starting the beginning of June.

In answer to your question - why would you want to stop traveling? I'm looking forward to at least ten more years in the motorhome.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. You guys/gals are great motivators. Most of my future travels will be in Texas, hope to meet up with you great forum families in the future.
Hey, Texas is big. We spent a lot of years there; AF basic training, tech schools at Shepherd AFB and 6 years at Lackland AFB. But there’s a great big country out there to explore b

I spent 8 months at Lackland AFB back when basic was 16 weeks and tech school was 16,, got a good tan on the barracks roof in off time.>>>Dan ( class of 59 )

The 1971 BMW I purchased when I got out of the army, using the money that I could not spend in the central Highland Jungles, so it was all sent home.

So I put this personalized vet licence plate on it. Vietnam, infantry is what "V-11B" stands for. Anybody who was in the army would know that "11B" means infantry.
V11Bplate.jpg

-Don- Reno, NV

Sooo,, are you buying the motorcycles with all that money your getting from the guvment.>>>D;)
Let me tell you, last month in Quartzsite there was a nice Ultra Classic sitting out in the desert with a For Sale sign and a nice price. The only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger was the towing limitations of my coach. Didn't want to choose between the bike and the Jeep. Also don't want to buy a house just to store my toys. We sold 3 Harleys when we went full time, and now that my wife is gone, I really miss my old Shovel.
Just to get this back OT, I turn 70 this year.

I commend you for thinking of the issue. My father set a good example for me as he stopped driving after a minor accident when he was about 85. My mother was one who would not have given up her driving even after she had dementia so we had to act for her when she was 86. In trying to use the judgement of my father, I have now downsized our RV at 78 but am not yet ready to give up RV travels yet. I do drive more conservatively, avoid bad weather, and I travel for only a few hours per day.

There is no question that our reaction times begin to slow as we age and research shows that it begins for most people at about 24, but our skills and judgement improve at a pace to more than offset it. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says that fatal crashes per mile traveled increase at about age 70. I believe that those who make allowance for age related changes are probably safe drivers for some time but we do need to be aware and to drive more cautiously.

I turned 70 late last year. Is it time to turn in my Class A keys? I still have all my faculties. Just curious.

Well. that is how it worked out for me. but there was an additional factor.. While parked a Semi Truck clipped my Rig doing over 20,000 in damage (well over) so the insurance paid off on it and as the rent on this apartment =about= (within a few dollars) what I was paying each month on the RV loan... And due to advancing medical issues. and more.. I used the insurance check to upgrade my car.. Serious upgrade.. Monthly payments on the car are $0.00

My mother was old by 65. My FIL wasn’t old until his late 80s. Age doesn’t have much to do with this whole thing.
True enough -- I had a great uncle and a grandmother that weren't old until their mid-90s, and a dad who wasn't physically old until about 88 (he'd had dementia for a few years by then).

My dad took his last long RV journey at 87, the trip was from Sonora, CA to somewhere in NJ, for my step-mom's college reunion, and back to Sonora. Didn't pass away for another 6 years after that trip.

I turn 70 this year, "retired" 6 years ago, went about 4 months and began a new career in the camp hosting field. After 3 years hosting, they talked me into going into management(an area with 14 campgrounds and 20 hosts, no less). This year, after loosing my wife before Christmas, and having Covid over New Years, I've accepted a position as the maintenance person for another 14 campground area.
Just not interested in sitting around getting old. I'd rather have a heart attack digging a hole to fix a broken pipe out in some National Forest somewhere.

Everyone's faculties age differently. I think the important part is that you have this discussion with younger friends and family who can provide perspective through their observations. I think an important part of getting older is staying active and doing the things you love to do, and maintain one's abilities for as long as possible.

My parents are in their mid-70's and my father, based on my observations, is still a good driver and he and mom travel the country in their motorhome. But he's getting older, and he and mom have taken some common-sense precautions. Their time and resources while traveling allow them to plan for both comfort and safety; They do not drive at night if they can avoid it, and they try to keep their drive time on longer trips to less than 8 hours per day. It's a great middle ground.

Back
Top Bottom