Just upgraded to TT from pop up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerfman

Hello,

I am new to travel trailers (as well as forums).

I just bought a 2006 Jay Feather LGT 29Y. I traded in my Fleetwood Tacoma.

Now I am in the process of shopping for a TV.

I'm a little nervous about taking on a 30 footer...

Jerry

Wayne, NJ

Hi Jerry and welcome to our forum. Congratulations on the new Jay Feather. Let us know if we can help answer any questions.

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Congratulations on the new Jay Feather.  Please join in any of the ongoing discussions or ask any questions  you have relating to the RV lifestyle.

Hi Jerry,

Wecome to the RV Forum.  YOu will get the hang of that 30 footer.  Just practice and be careful.

Been a while since I was in Wayne.  I used to go there to see the Singer guys building equipment for the Space Shuttle.  I think the last trip was in either '89 or '90.  As I said, it has been a while!  BG

Hey Jerry, welcome aboard.  What are you looking at for your TV?  Any thoughts yet.  You'll get a world of advice from the folks here.  All you have to do is ask.

Thanks for the support everyone!

For starters, I haven't picked up the TT yet and I'm starting to worry that 1500 lbc CCC will not be enough with propane and water tanks full.

I've also never towed anything that big, and naturally I'm concerned about the safety of my family.

As far as the forum goes, I can see a lot of good info out of here.

jerfman

For TV, I'm leaning Chevy Suburban - I'm going to be traveling with 7 on most of the trips?

Any thoughts on the Suburban or other TVs?  I'm not married to any of them, have an open mind.

Hey BG, Montana is a long way from Wayne (maybe it's the other way around, huh?). I'm originally from Clifton.

Can't wait to travel the country, you guys must have a blast...

jerfman

I think  a Suburban would be a good choice.  I would recommend the 2500 (3/4 ton) version rather than the 1500 - it is all around sturdier chassis and will handle the towing job better, especially with your big family and their gear.  However, the Jay Feather is quite light and a 1500 might be dequate. Check the GVWR and GCWR on each and make allowances for 7 people onboard and see.

The CCC is a bit on the light side, but the "Feather" models are designedto be minimal in weight.  I see the 2006 model has a CCC of 1385 and that's without options such as an a/c. Any options will further reduce the CCC, so be sure to weigh the rig once you actually get it.  Fresh water weighs 8.4 lbs/gallon and propane about 4.5 lbs/gallon. [A 20# propane bottle weighs about 40 lbs when full].  The trailer will have a sticker inside somewhere (usually in  a cabinet) stating the unladed (dry) weight, GVWR and Net Carrying Capacity (NCC, which assumes full water & propane).  1000 lbs is probably OK for weekends but might get stretched on a vacation with your gang.  Go easy on the canned foods and other heavy stuff.  You can always buy food when you arrive and can usually get water too.

By the wy, there is a flattering review of the Jay Feather 29 at http://www.campinglife.com/site_page_903/article_page_97.cfm 
It indicates that it is an easy rig to tow.

Thanks RVRoamer,

Any idea where I can find towing info on a 96 Suburban 1500?

I know someone getting rid of one with low miles for a good price.

If it will do the job, I might go for it until next year when I can afford something nicer...

jerfman

If it can be towed, you can find information about towing it at
http://www.remcotowing.com/

Towing seems to be their primary product.

Manafacturer says _____ can't be towed 4-down? Odds are the above site can tell you how

jerfman said:
Any idea where I can find towing info on a 96 Suburban 1500?

I know someone getting rid of one with low miles for a good price.

If it will do the job, I might go for it until next year when I can afford something nicer...

jerfman

That is an old truck.  Trailer Life publishes comprehensive tow rating tables for each model year.  See them at http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175.  However, they only go back to 1999.    In that year the 1500 Burb has a rating of 6500 lbs with the 5.7L V8 with a 3.42 rear end and 8000lbs with the 6.5L TD with a 3.73 rear end.  Both require the optional trailer towing package to be installed.  That latter item probably includes a beefed up cooling system so make sure it is there.  As to whether you can trust those ratings to apply to a 3 year older version of the Burb is another matter.

Your new trailer evidently has a laden weight of about 5700 lbs according to the Camping Life article.  Add 10% to that number if you tow east of the Mississippi to allow for hills, hot days, and aging truck.  Add 20% if you tow in the mountain west to allow for 20 mile 6% grades that go over 7500 foot passes.    That translates in to a minimum tow rating of 6300 lbs in the East, 6800 lbs in the east.

Myself,  I would consider the used Burb only if it were the 6.5L diesel with the tow package.  Remember you are also loading 7 people = 1050 lbs more or less.

I hear you, problem is I got all hopped up and bought a more expensive TT, now I have to figure out a way to buy a TV

Better than having the truck and not be able to get the TT I want.

In the meantime, I'll use my son-in-law's truck (that's how I'm picking it up!)

Thanks, I'll definitely keep your advice in mind...

jerfman

We pull an '05 JayFeather 25Z with a 97 Suburban 1500 4X4 (towing pkg,WD,BC,etc.) GVWR on the trailer is 5800 lbs so we are maxed w/the trailer (towing capacity 6000). GCVWR is 14000. Since the truck is older the easiest way I found to get the GCVWR and the vehicle specifications was to call Chevrolet Customer Service directly(found the toll free # on their website) and give them the VIN.  They were very courteous and extremely helpful which was more than I could say for the Chevy dealer I called. ::)

Thanks everyone,

That truck is close to edge for my liking. I'm looking at newer trucks with a tow capacity at least in the 7000 range.

I towed it home from the dealer with my son-in-law's Dodge Ram 2500 diesel.

Didn't even know it was back there!

Jerry

Thanks Carl,

I was enjoying the moment while I could...you know, newbie and all!

Jerry

Welcome aboard Jerry!

We started out in 2003 with a 30 foot travel trailer pulled by a Dodge van.  We were close to the limit, right on the edge.  One thing I did was never ever go over 55 mph.  Well once I did it in Idaho and promptly blew a trailer tire.  It is important to match the tower to the load, but it sure doesn't hurt to keep the speed at a fuel efficient 55 mph.  Even with our big rig, I seldom go over the 55 mph because I have found it to be our most fuel efficient speed and also most enjoyable speed for viewing the countryside, which is what it is all about anyway.

Welcome to our forum family!  :D

Hi,

Haven't been posting to the boards in a long time, just reading them once in awhile.

Finally got? a tow vehicle (2004 Tahoe) and took my new trailer on a trip for the first time.

Even this vehicle is maxed out with 7 passengers, gas, and the tongue weight. I could throw the spare in the trailer and carry absolutely nothing in the nose's pass-thru storage and still be over the tv max. We'll just have to do two cars, didn't want to get an even bigger TV that will also be used as a primary car.

I have a question:

I was towing for the first time with my new truck and when i hit 60 or so, it started swaying pretty good on me. There was no wind, and it pulled me back and forth not an insignificant amount.
It scared the heck out of me to the point I was thinking of selling it after we got back (cooler heads prevailed, and I got that notion out of my head). It only lasted for a little bit and I slowed down to 50-55 for the rest of the trip.
I did have to adjust my weight distribution hitch before the trip because it was setup to the vehicle I had towed it home from the dealer with.

Can anyone tell me anything specific, or does this happen often - it was pretty dangerous.

I have a Reese weight distribution setup - the one where the arms ride on cams, not hanging from chains. Is it feasible (and possible) to add the flat sway bar as well?

We have some good trips coming up to D.C, Williamsburg VA, and Nags Head, NC and I want to feel comfortable during the ride or I won't have a good time.

Boy was Carl right after my earlier post - "There be plenty of times when you will know all too well that it is back there."

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me.

Jerry

I was towing for the first time with my new truck and when i hit 60 or so, it started swaying pretty good on me. There was no wind, and it pulled me back and forth not an insignificant amount.
It scared the heck out of me to the point I was thinking of selling it after we got back (cooler heads prevailed, and I got that notion out of my head). It only lasted for a little bit and I slowed down to 50-55 for the rest of the trip.
I did have to adjust my weight distribution hitch before the trip because it was setup to the vehicle I had towed it home from the dealer with.

OK, I have a procedure in the Forum Library for adjusting a WD hitch.  If you have the Reese Dual Cam anti-sway system, that adjustment should take care of things.  Be sure that you have the proper spring bars, their rating should be 1200 lbs for your rig.

The procedure is here

Regards,

Carl L/LA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom