Just watched the movie 'RV' with Robin Williams.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skamper

If you havne't seen it,you just gotta.As an rv'er I haven't laughed so much in a loooooooooong time.It is really a hoot!!!!

Although I was skeptical at first,  I found the movie also to be quite hilarious.  I'm sure Robbin Williams is most of the reason why.  I was skeptical due to the labeling that takes place with other peoples impressions of "R.V'ers".  Some of my Co-Workers are always busting me up regarding my MotorHome.  IE...is it a "double wide"?  What "trailer park" do you live in?  Now this is all in good fun and most of them have shut up since the day I dropped by with the Rig (yea to show off)  JEALOUS? yea you could say that. 
Yes the show was funny.
Another funny one was "Meet the Fockers".  Guess the Bathroom problems always crack me up!

I saw the movie and bought it.  It is a great movie with a great message as well as the lifestyle.  What kind of bus was the older one which kept chasing them?  I thought marathon but I am no expert in those matters. 

WE've talked about the Movie, but just never got around to seeing either of them, too busy.  Almost afraid to watch it.  Hate to see myself being portrayed, cause I'm sure many of the things will b ring back memories after 40+ years of camping in one fashion or another.  I've got to take time to view it tho.

Shayne said:
Almost afraid to watch it.  Hate to
see myself being portrayed......

LOL Shayne. You should have been with the Moab rally group watching the movie. You could occasionally hear "that reminds me of forum member xxxxx along with the group laughing".

I too was not too sure of the movie, till I saw it, then I found it ito be "Better than expected"

And that Diablo Pass  (Less the tetter totter point) looked kind of familure :)

(The road I got routed down was not quite that bad, but it was that steep, and narrow, and so on, not a road I care to ever travel again in anything short of a JEEP!)

We saw it at the movie theater and loved it and watched it again when it came out in video.  Not only could we relate to some of the situations, we were a homeschool family so that part was pretty funny as well.  At first my daughter rolled her eyes when they started out portraying the homeschoolers as weird (we got that alot) but were pleased with the end of the story.

Great fun,
Marilea

I'm a newby here, but I've been lurking for a couple of months.? That old rv in the movie was a Flxible Clipper bus.? I went to the RV movie website and had to read teeny tiny print to find it.? They used 2 buses.? One was fixed up for the driving scenes, the other was decked out for the "indoor" scenes.? It sure was pretty!

cuts_up said:
I'm a newby here, but I've been lurking for a couple of months.  That old rv in the movie was a Flxible Clipper bus.  I went to the RV movie website and had to read teeny tiny print to find it.  They used 2 buses.  One was fixed up for the driving scenes, the other was decked out for the "indoor" scenes.  It sure was pretty!

In my school days we had a bus line between the small towns in IN and they had some of the Flxible Clipper units so I rode a lot of miles in them.

A few years ago I was at a KOA in Terre Haute where I stayed often and one morning I looked out and the place was full of vintage Clippers so I went out and talked  to some  owners. They were all headed up upstate NY for a owners club meeting.

I talked to one very old gent and he gave me a tour. His was used in an HBO movie 'Cassis Clay' and he was pretty upset as they had sand blasted the aluminum roof to get a shine on some shots from a helicopter as the bus was on a long lonely road in TX.

This fellow could have been a double for Howard Hughes. He gave us a good morning laugh. He pulled out going east on I-70 and I left several minutes later. I passed him and he gave me a big wave and a toot on his air horns. Then I stopped for a quick coffee and bathroom break at a rest stop and he rolled by. Shortly I passed him again and he gave us the same greeting. On the other side of Indianapolis I stopped again and same thing. Then over near Dayton OH I made another stop and same thing. I went on to Dayton OH and told my kids about this very old guy who knew something I didn't because I made three pit stops and this guy in his vintage bus was still going 3 1/2 hours later headed for NY.  :) :)

He said these Clippers  are very popular with movie folks over the years and several of their club members had been in various scenes.

Here is a website for some info and also on there is a link to the owners club.

http://www.hammondtransportation.com/flex_history.htm

Bob

There needs to be an RV movie thread, in which members post the good and bad movies portraying the RV lifestyle.  Does anybody remember "Escape to Witch Mountain"?

I haven't seen "RV" yet but I do remember "Escape to Witch Mountain".  It came out in late '70's or early '80's just when VCR's were still new and expensive.  It was the first movie I copied off of TV so my kids could watch it on the VCR, which they did--over and over again.  Otherwise, I probable wouldn't remember it.  It seems like the kids made the RV fly when they were trying to escape it, is that the right movie?  Anyway, it's been years since I have seen it and the VCR movies are long since gone.  Starting to show my age.

Dan

So, based on the recommendations of you all, I went out and rented RV tonight.

Yeah, pretty funny.

Favorite part, not sure if you caught it, was the sign as they were leaving the first campground:

Don't Forget
TV Ant  V
Awnings <
Steps    ^
Wife      !

Last night we rented the movie of RV  Brother-in-law here 2 couples and another lady here to watch it and all agreed- Terrible movie,  A few laughs but just plain stupid.  But then we are not Robin Williams fans, none of us. Oops 1 guy is.  But even he agreed with us.  We finally took it outvery near the end, cause we couldn't stand it any longer and insert McClintock with John Wayne and everyone was happy.  And naturally everyone enjoyed the desserts that The Boss so graciously prepared.  This morning as I passed the place of the guy that likes Robin Williams, yelled Movie and held his nose. I agreed.  Perhaps we just have different tastes than others.  But then we can stand today's music as they call it, nor most movies today.  That's us and everyone has to go by their own tastes.

We didn't see the movie in the theatre, but I just went ahead and bought it at Wal Mart one day.

We watched it in the RV in September while we were out and just loved it. To us, it not only was classical Robin Williams, but totally slapstick/stupid/everything one might expect and predict, yet completely silly. To us it was just a feel-good film. I started referring our rig to "the big...." Being polite on the forum, I shan't repeat it.  ;D

If you are a fan of that type of comedy, then you should enjoy it.

We have friends who own a 5th wheel and have been in Billings for a year. They will be back home shortly after New Year's. My immediate thought while watching it in September was to get together with them after they get home and watch it.

I'm one of those people who kind of goes through life laughing, so it struck a funny bone with me!

Enjoy!

BernerGran

Just saw the thing last week.  If any of you get the RV-Living mag they had an article about the movie.  Jeff Daniels and his family are really RV-ers, and he uses his on location for making movies. 

The sewer hose hit a chord, The helpful guys with no clue is a hoot and all too true. 

Last night was movie night in our RV Park, RV was featured.

We saw it before we picked up our new rig the other day. Now I'm just afraid she's destined to be called the "big ol' rollin' turd!"

Could be worse.  My rig is too small to be a "Big Rolling Turd" so my friends nicknamed it Dingleberry.

I need new friends.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom