kayak, surfboards and bike racks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malibu06

Hi all,

New to the forum here.  We are in the process of purchasing our first RV (Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R), and planning a cross-country trip this summer for 4-5 weeks. (me and my amazing wife and kids - and possibly the dog and cat).  Yes -we are crazy!

I've been looking at flat towing our Jeep Commander, and just strapping the surfboards on top of the Jeep, and putting our trailer hitch bike rack on the back of the Jeep.... unfortunately, after more research, found that our Jeep is not fit for dinghy towing.    So, looking at other options. 

Anyone familiar with any good rack options out there that would carry some boards and bikes - maybe vertically or something?

Thanks!

I made my own rooftop racks out of pipe.  Carried 2 to 4 sailboards up there several thousand miles.  But after I built them I noticed the bars they use in public restrooms for handicapped access.  Like this one : http://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Traditional-36-in-Grab-Bar-in-Brushed-Stainless-K-10544-BS/203095878

if you put boards on top it's probably a good idea to remove the fins to minimize hight.

Bikes are another issue.  If you're going to carry the jeep in a dolly you could stick with the plan to put the bike carrier on the rear of the jeep, or on the roof.  Do you have a ladder in the rear?  I've got a bike carrier that hangs on the ladder but never use it because the tires stick out too far.

Welcome to the RV Forum.

I am a  Moderator on the Jeep Commander web site and I am curious about your statement on your Jeep Commander not being fit for flat towing.  Unless you have one of the two wheel drive Commanders, you should have no problems as long as your Motorhome has enought power to tow a slightly heavy Jeep.  I have two Commanders and have flat towed one of them for thousands of miles before I got my Stacker.

Just curious.

Attachments

• r019.jpg
    r019.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back