Keeping electric entry steps retracted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mspicer1234

The site we are in for the next couple of months has a set of wooden steps that the site owner said we could use while on his site. I have tried to keep my electric entry steps on my 2014 Allegro Bus in the retracted position so I can use the wooden steps. The electric entry steps will hit and be impeded by the wooden steps if the electric steps are not locked in the retracted position potentially causing damage to the electric steps.

The manual states that when the door is closed and the steps are retracted if you turn the step power switch to ?off? and turn the ignition ?off? the steps will stay in the retracted position.

No matter what combination of ignition switch on/off and step switch on/off I cannot get the steps to stay retracted.

What do I need to do in order to keep the electric steps retracted?

mspicer1234 said:
The site we are in for the next couple of months has a set of wooden steps that the site owner said we could use while on his site. I have tried to keep my electric entry steps on my 2014 Allegro Bus in the retracted position so I can use the wooden steps. The electric entry steps will hit and be impeded by the wooden steps if the electric steps are not locked in the retracted position potentially causing damage to the electric steps.

The manual states that when the door is closed and the steps are retracted if you turn the step power switch to ?off? and turn the ignition ?off? the steps will stay in the retracted position.

No matter what combination of ignition switch on/off and step switch on/off I cannot get the steps to stay retracted.

What do I need to do in order to keep the electric steps retracted?
mspicer1234
While the step is retracted. (aka: in/up), simply pull every 12V fuse protecting the step. (NO power = NO operation).

We just had our step break because it apparently hit something so your concern is well founded.  After being repaired, our Step Out light on the dashboard wouldn't go away until Jerry cleaned the little button switch in the door frame.  There are a couple of buttons in the frame and they were quite dirty from accumulated debris so that might be worth a check because they appear to be interrelated.  Our on/off switch works as yours is described.  Close the door (including the screen door) to make it retract, switch the button to Off, and the step should be retracted when you open the door.  I don't think the step would be going in and out if a fuse is blown so I don't think that's the solution.  I'll be curious to hear what fix you find because I checked a LOT of fuses while we were troubleshooting the broken step and then the Step Out light!

ArdraF

On our coach, with the ignition off, flipping the switch from "Follow" to "Hold" locks the steps where they are. My step switch magnet is attached to the screen door, so I can lock them retracted from the outside by closing the screen to retract the steps, and then reaching in through the slide panel to flip the switch to "Hold". Turning on the ignition though, will over ride the "Hold" and extend the steps when the door is opened.

You may not be able to keep the steps in if the door is open. My Tiffin is wired the same way. A safety feature so someone doesn't fall out of the door onto the ground if the door switch happens to get turned off (say by a visiting grand child). You could try turning off the chassis battery switch in the back bay to see it that cuts power to the steps.  Just be aware however that if it does cut power to the steps, it may also prevent the slides from retracting with the chassis battery switch off.

I decided that the suggestion of closing the door waiting for the steps to retract then pulling the fuse was the best solution for me. I added this to my departure and setup to-do lists so I don't forget to put it back in.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Back
Top Bottom