Keeping rectangular knobs straight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

I'm going to replace the 18 knobs in my motorhome with some rectangular ones.  After selecting the design, I realized that they could look pretty bad if they come loose and don't hang straight.  These are single-screw knobs.  Any suggestions for keeping them from slipping?  I was wondering if that earthquake putty or glue would be thin enough to put a dab behind each knob.  I think I'd prefer not to use something like Loktite, in case I wanted to switch the knobs again for some reason.

Also, are there any very small levels that would help to hang these things?  Preferably something magnetic would hold onto the top of each knob while I tighten it.

--pat

Pat said:
I'm going to replace the 18 knobs in my motorhome with some rectangular ones.? After selecting the design, I realized that they could look pretty bad if they come loose and don't hang straight.? These are single-screw knobs.? Any suggestions for keeping them from slipping?? I was wondering if that earthquake putty or glue would be thin enough to put a dab behind each knob.? I think I'd prefer not to use something like Loktite, in case I wanted to switch the knobs again for some reason.

Also, are there any very small levels that would help to hang these things?? Preferably something magnetic would hold onto the top of each knob while I tighten it.

Try a very small dab of silcone sealant on the back of the knobs.  That should give you enough adhesion to keep the rascals straight.  They can be later removed using a knife blade to carefully peel them away.

A small torpedo level should keep them straight enough.

Carl's silicone suggestion is a good one. Silicone will be removable, whereas a real "glue" has the same problem as using loctite on the threads.

A level helps only when the RV itself is level. What you really want is for the knobs to be parallel with the drawer face or cabinet door edge, which is not necesarily the same as level with respect to the planet Earth. [lol]  I suggest carefully lining up one knob so that it is visually correct, then making a piece of cardboard or thin wood several inches long that fits perfectly between the rectangular knob and the nearest edge. Then use that piece as an alignment tool for the other knobs. You probably need two - one for cabinets and one for drawers.

If you want to use a level, place the level on the nearest edge first to see if IT is level.  Then re-adjust the RV itself so that the level shows "level" when on the drawer/cabinet edge.  Or simply set the knobs the same amount off-level as the cabinet/drawer edges are, if your eye on the level's "bubble" is good enough for that.

Silicone sealant is now on my shopping list.  Good point if the RV isn't level.  Actually, at the moment it's more level than it's ever been, so I'll get a little level and work with that. 

--pat

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom