Keeping your generator secure when crashing for a few hours in a parking lot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I definitely have run a generator in a Walmart parking lot. I wasn’t the first to turn one on either. It was in southern Missouri on a hot summer night. There were a few semis running overnight plus another few RVs with generators by the time we got there. We had reserved a regular campground site, but there wasn’t anything big enough to fit us when we got there! We went to a nearby Walmart, opened up the truck bed, and turned on the gennie. There would have been no sleeping any other way. Oh, and we always call before we get to the lot to make sure we are welcome and where we should park. We have since spent a night in the same place in the motorhome, also running a generator for the summer night AC.

Not many people would be stealing a 130 pound generator, which is what the Honda 3000 weighs. If you had a couple of Honda 2000s, 50 pounds each, it would be a more interesting target. Just use a big chain, and leave it in the truck bed if possible. Not much else you can do.
3/4 inch log chain big lock tinyour truck frame.

We often boondock with our Honda 2000i. For security I have a cable & lock with a single wire taped and hidden along side the cable. After locking the cable to the MH, the wire ends are connected to a hidden simple circuit and switched on. If some low life tries to cut the cable/wire, a very loud siren will sound from the MH. (Amazon for the siren).
A simple guide for most any DIYr can be found and modified to fit the exact needs of your camper. www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC6yQeWy5Ms

Search terms (#wire_break_alarm #electronics_circuit #Cut_wire_alarm)

Attachments

• lilred.jpg
    lilred.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 5
Why?

Walmarts are loud, right off the highway. Who would notice?
They don't! I use 3000W WEN inverter, cable locked in bed of truck partially hidden under tuneau cover. An inverter is quite quiet, i idles!! I do spomtimes plug in a small fan to keep it cool

There is no "code" or anything where walmark over-nighters do or don't run a generator. This is no campground. If you do not want to hear gen noise then do not park near an RV or semi rig.

If you get the Honda 3000 gen (or any Honda) there are special trays made where you mount the gen on it and it locks to the tray. Some are generic and will work with any brand. The tray can be locked to your truckbed, trailer tongue, a hitch or anything. These are expensive.

Are you using the gen in the bed of a truck or just pulling it out of storage and using on the ground?

Any way you can securly and permanently mount it somewhere where it can be used is best.

Cables can be cut easily by any homeboy with scissors. Do not use cable locks for anything except lawn chairs or something you are willing to lose right away. Use of multiple lock systems might mean the thief is not prepared for one of them.

Heavy chains are good, but bolt cutters cut right through. The honda trays are more ideal because they use puck locks and are confusing to a thief who is not educated on the construction schematics of the tray and will not be able to defeat them so quickly.

I chose instead to make my own locking tray.

Attachments

• genhitch5.jpg
    genhitch5.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 16
There is no "code" or anything where walmark over-nighters do or don't run a generator. This is no campground. If you do not want to hear gen noise then do not park near an RV or semi rig.

If you get the Honda 3000 gen (or any Honda) there are special trays made where you mount the gen on it and it locks to the tray. Some are generic and will work with any brand. The tray can be locked to your truckbed, trailer tongue, a hitch or anything. These are expensive.

Are you using the gen in the bed of a truck or just pulling it out of storage and using on the ground?

Any way you can securly and permanently mount it somewhere where it can be used is best.

Cables can be cut easily by any homeboy with scissors. Do not use cable locks for anything except lawn chairs or something you are willing to lose right away. Use of multiple lock systems might mean the thief is not prepared for one of them.

Heavy chains are good, but bolt cutters cut right through. The honda trays are more ideal because they use puck locks and are confusing to a thief who is not educated on the construction schematics of the tray and will not be able to defeat them so quickly.

I chose instead to make my own locking tray.
Great power where you need it: Saw.jpg

The side grinder is King, it will defeat everything except the Queen. The Queen is you alseep in your RV hearing a grinder grind away. The grinder needs time where the bolt cutters and scissors do not need time. Cordless side grinders are the worst invention for RVers lives.

The side grinder is King, it will defeat everything except the Queen. The Queen is you alseep in your RV hearing a grinder grind away. The grinder needs time where the bolt cutters and scissors do not need time. Cordless side grinders are the worst invention for RVers lives.
But really great in the shop (y)

Totally false. Read the Walmart link in post #39. They do not want you to run generators as well as opening slides taking our grill and chairs and extending stabilizers. They also would like to to confirm with a manager that indeed it’s OK to park overnight .
They want you to A) pull in and park out of the way, B) Buy stuff from them. "Getting comfortable" is forbidden, if enforced. That said, I've been there with generators all around, including semis. I think they are more concerned with appearance than noise.

Totally false. Read the Walmart link in post #39. They do not want you to run generators as well as opening slides taking our grill and chairs and extending stabilizers. They also would like to to confirm with a manager that indeed it’s OK to park overnight .
That site is not Walmart. It is some self anointed "expert" promoting RV Trip Wizard. I see posts like this and follow them back to their source and not one has come from Walmart.
While I agree with most of these so called rules, I totally reject the prohibitions on extending slideouts and running a generator
Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Well this site is Walmart and here is what they state.... I expect any other specific requirements are stipulated by each store depending on the manager and the area.
  • Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?
  • While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.

Yep, that's ALL they say. There is nothing about slideouts, generators or lawn chairs. All the so called rules were somebody's idea of how things "should be". While I agree that most of these are just good common sense polite behavior, they are not Walmart rules. If I am staying in a Walmart, I am going to put out my slides and run my generator. I don't park near anyone. If someone comes and parks near me, it's their problem if my generator bothers them.

That site is not Walmart. It is some self anointed "expert" promoting RV Trip Wizard. I see posts like this and follow them back to their source and not one has come from Walmart.
While I agree with most of these so called rules, I totally reject the prohibitions on extending slideouts and running a generator
Amazing how the “weight police” duties sometimes extend to other areas…

That article is based on the Good Neighbor Policy developed by the Escapees RV Club over 25 years ago when many towns were debating whether to ban RVers staying overnight in parking lots instead of patronizing local campgrounds. Escapees has been promoting it ever since, including printing it in every issue of their magazine.

Escapees Good Neighbor Policy

And the Escapee’s guidelines used to have the no slides out “rule”, but even they deleted it. Some people still pull the “slides and generators aren’t allowed” line, but they are utterly and completely wrong. Do I call and ask the store if I can park overnight before pulling in? Absolutely. Do I park in a place where my slides won’t bother anyone? Absolutely. Do I minimize generator run time? Absolutely. But I have been known to do both. When addressing any guidelines/policies for an activity, the land owner/manager has the only correct answer. If Walmart says it is ok, it is ok no matter what any other self-proclaimed expert will tell you.

Back
Top Bottom