Kentucky Derby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h2odog

Have secured a camp spot but wondering if anybody knows about the parking around Churchhill Downs...
One would think that there would be some coach parking @ Papa Johns or the Fairgrounds but the Churchhill Downs folks don't seem to know...

Campground offers a shuttle, but @$50.00 ahead, I think I would rather take my chances finding a parking spot...

Thanks

This from the About Horse Racing web site, an article called Derby 101:

http://horseracing.about.com/cs/triplecrown/a/aakd101_3.htm

"Parking is also a problem as most of the parking lot is reserved for VIPs and television compounds. A few parking spots are available on the track grounds, but they are sold out well in advance and horsemen have preference over fans. The grand tradition is to park in the local people?s yards and the closer to the track you get, the more you can expect to pay for that privilege. A house right across from the track will probably charge $50 to park while one a mile away will still charge at least $10. Traffic is horrible around the track with lots of one-way and no stopping zones set up for that weekend, so it is best to not even try to enter the area. You can park at the Kentucky Fairgrounds and get a shuttle to the track for $10, which is a big bargain. These shuttles have special lanes set up so they don?t have to wait in traffic and are the best way for fans to get to the Derby."

Thanks again RV Roamer....

I have also found that the primary parking for Derby is @ Papa Johns Stadium & the Kentucky Fairgrounds.  I am going to contact them about parking..

Back
Top Bottom