keyboard shortcuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dick Zeiter

I've lurked in this forum for nearly 10 years and have found the change to this new format somewhat difficult. In the old Compuserve format I could use the keyboard to get around. This forum seems to require more mouse work. Am I missing keystroke shortcut directions? I prefer to get around using [page up/down], [home/end] and the arrows.
I have posted in this section since I am fairly new to this second generation forum.
Dick Zeiter
Toledo

Dick Zeiter said:
In the old Compuserve format I could use the keyboard to get around. This forum seems to require more mouse work.

Hi Dick. For clarification, there were several generations of the CS software, the last of which had a purely html interface requiring a web browser, just like this one. My attempts to keep the older interface alive &/or to provide a better interface for our members failed. There's just no stopping the train of progress I guess.

The last CS software required folks to download lots of ads with every message page, making it slow and unusable for many of our members, which was why we opted to bring the forum here.

I use some keyboard keys here but only a few keystrokes work and I suspect some members have found some that I don't use. I believe that you're comparing it with the days of the offline reader (aka OLR) such as OzWin, TapCIS and VA. There have been some efforts in the open source software community to bring a 2-way email interface to what we have today, but none of those efforts have yet come out the other end.

Dick Zeiter said:
What are they?

Since I rarely use them, you're going to make me think ....

Page up, page down, up, down, right and left mentioned in your earlier message . There are also a couple of others on the message composition window; alt-s to submit/post and alt-p to preview. But, for the most part, don't look for this forum to work in a 'keyboard shortcut' mode. It wasn't designed for that, but I'll research to see what other shortcuts I can add.

Reminds me I need to re-install a shortcut that brings up the spell checker.

>don't look for this forum to work in a 'keyboard shortcut' mode. It wasn't designed for that, but I'll research to see what other shortcuts I can add.<

Thank you. Where would forum shortcuts be permanently posted for myself and other users?
Dick Zeiter
Toledo

Dick Zeiter said:
Where would forum shortcuts be permanently posted for myself and other users?

The only place they show right now is adjacent to the respective buttons on, for example, the message reply screen. (See the attached image). When I have more time and after I find/install any additional ones, I'll get them added to our forum navigation tips, also accessible by clicking the Resources button in the toolbar above and scrolling down to Forum navigation tips.

Attachments

• shortcuts.jpg
    shortcuts.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 10
I prefer to have the keyboard shortcuts appear by the control that they apply to.  Or use the CUA convention of underlining the hot key in a prompt.  That's an interface standard that nearly everyone understands.

Understood Ned, but I won't be putting a lot of effort into customized coding to achieve that. I'm still working through re-installing some of the prior customizations following the recent forum software upgrade.

No problem, I was making a general statement, not asking for changes here.  My experience with lists of things like shortcuts, is no one reads them and when they need them they can't find them :)

Ned said:
... experience with lists of things like shortcuts, is no one reads them and when they need them they can't find them

LOL Ned, that sounds familiar.

Back
Top Bottom