Keystone 200 SolarFlex - help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joester

Ok,
We found an almost new 2021 22RBSWE Cougar for sale in our area - went and looked at it, and it's more hi-tech than we expected. Does anyone here have experience with the the factory installed 200 SolarFlex, or one of the upgraded models? We're slightly intimidated with the technology, and wonder if the learning curve isn't too difficult. Other options like the heated recliners, and the house stereo system also are new tech that are foreign to us, after 24 years in a 1991 Tioga class C. We're planning on returning to look it over in more detail, but sure would like some input from anyone familiar with this SolarFlex 200 or bigger system. We really like the trailer, but are wondering if the tech will cause more trouble and expense down the road. Or - should we bite the bullet, and force ourselves to trust we can learn how to operate this new technology. Thanks for any help or suggestions. This is from a private party, so no dealer support, and its just out of warranty.

No experience with it - I think these are pretty new as pre-installed. The 200 series includes the following. I doubt it takes any tech knowledge. Just a solar system to keep the battery charged. SolarFlex 200

Thanks for the replies. I had looked briefly at the Keystone Cougar website, and saw that these trailers have only a small handful of options, most desirable items are standard. I'm looking forward to spending more time with the owners, and really having them show us how everything works. Love the floorplan, the construction seems pretty good, walls, flooring, cabinets all seem well built compared to some other RV's we have seen the past few years. I sure wish builders would find something better than EPDM roofs. I'll post back once we complete our inspection/tutorial session.
Really appreciate input from other RV people,
Thank you all.

Mo' features, mo' problems.

I got a tour of DonTom's Class A and have also wandered through a few coaches at Camping World. All the glitzy glamor stuff looks great.

But as an engineer my mind jumps to the complexity of all those systems and the expense of keeping them going.

With zero tech and no slides my Class A looks like something the Flintstones would drive - But I'll never get stuck somewhere because a slide won't retract - LOL...

If I was buying new-ish to 5 years old I'd be a little more comfortable. But I'm the guy who sells his daily driver at 10 years or 150k miles whatever comes first...

A while back I saw a video on the SolarFlex thing and there's nothing there most folks wouldn't install on their own with stuff from amazon. It amounts to a base installation of wiring and connections to facilitate adding panels, an inverter and batteries. You didn't mention if the owner added those things but even if they did, this is all basic stuff that if you asked a question here on the forums about a particular issue, there would be no mystery what you've got. The only "tech" mentioned is the victron controller which is a decent unit and well supported. The rest is managed with a $10 meter from harbor freight, if it needs any attention at all. So of all the things that can possibly go wrong or cause issues with a given RV I would put this feature fairly low on the trouble list.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Update -
We decided to pass on this particular trailer, thanks for all your posts and thoughts. We really like the floorplan, construction seems to be well built, and this trailer is practically new. However, we don't expect to use whatever trailer we buy that much, and this trailer seems like it could end up having maintenance issues for us down the road a few years. Options like the electric heated theater seats are just a little too much tech for me to feel comfortable with. We think we'll focus on a similar trailer, perhaps a 2018-2019, something a bit less expensive, and less to go wrong as it sits unused in our yard.
Thanks again, I'll be back as we continue our search.

Also - look for another new topic as I ask about some similar trailers to that Cougar... to be continued in a new thread..... :)

Back
Top Bottom