Keystone Cougar vs Rockwood Build and Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoss10

We are considering either a Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S or a Keystone Cougar 22RBS. I was wondering every ones thoughts on the build quality of each.
My thoughts so far

Cougar Pluses

Thicker walls and pass through doors (slam latches)
More headroom
Trussed Roof vs Bonded
Less expensive (in this case 2022 model)
Better extended season insulation

Minuses

No Adzel!
Leaf springs
Slide walls in slide, are not bonded

Rockwood Pluses

Vacume bonded 2 sided Adzel on all walls
Torsion Bar suspension
Aluminum Framed plywood floor
A little better finished cabinets

Minuses
Bonded Roof (perhaps)
Really thin Passthrough doors with no slamm latches
Have heard bad reviews of Forest Rivers warranty responses

Any thoughts
Thanks for the help, this is a big purchase for us (hopefully our final trailer)

I don't see any major factors in your pros & cons, and both models are roughly the same position & price point in their respective brand line-ups. I think I'd give more weight to any differences in floor plan or amenities that suited best. Especially the "Momma" factor. As was pointed out, quality CONTROL in Rvs is almost non-existent - you can get near-perfect or a real lemon in either brands.

I agree with others. For me, I prefer the campside to have a large window, hence the kitchen in the rear or on the drivers side. Hard to find.

The difference that makes me the most hesitant is the lack of Adzel in the Cougar I'm a cabinet maker and I have seen what water does to Luan!
There is a considerable price difference, the Cougar is a 2022 model and Rockwoods are hard to find up here in Ontario Canada so few deals.
My wife likes the Cougar.

The question then becomes what corners are they cutting to pay for Adzel and still be price competitive, what is the roof and floor structure, how thick is the frame tubing, etc.

The Adzel is a risk management thing. Worth the extra cost IF you get water penetration in the wrong places. Otherwise no extra value vs laminated filon/luan. I've owned several RVs over 20 years and never experienced a leak where Adzel wood have saved the day, but "your mileage may vary".

As a cabinetmaker, I would think you would be unimpressed with the craftmanship & materials throughout those two models, but I haven't been in a Cougar in ages. Maybe they are doing better these days?

45 years!
As a Cabinet maker I could live with the Rockwood, the Cougar not so much Our 2011 Jayfeather 242 (which we are replacing) has cabinets I would install in a home!

Often I am asked "how in the world have you been married for 47 years, what's the secret?" ???? simple, remember 2 words.... YES DEAR!
Also "No you don't look fat in that"

Just a fail safe, occasionally purchase for her some sort of clothing in a size 2.

Our Cougar 22RBS was found by the wife on a sleepless night of surfing. One of the best things I ever said "Yes dear, if that is what you want" to. Construction is far superior to what it was on our Rockwood. King size bed and plenty of headroom for 6'4" folks. No wood in the floor and aluminum framing. The only thing that impressed on the Rockwood was the torsion suspension but a Cougar with rubber equalizers and wet bolts all around is very close.

Right on the money Gary. The sequential serial number unit to mine took over a week to get prepped. Somewhere in the 3 to 4 hour range for ours. Took longer for our trade in to be inspected. In the end, I found something no PDI would have found. A minor leak where the outside speaker meets the angled bezel. Ten minute fix once I found the butyl rubber!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom