KIA EV sales for this year . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GM also posted some Q2 whoppers too.
I could tell that by the number of new 2023 Chevy Bolts on the road around here. They must have been giving them away.

Good thing I do not care a bit about resale value on my 2022 Chevy Bolt!

I doubt if I will buy another vehicle for the rest of my life. But an EV truck, perhaps the Dodge Ramcharger EV, is a possibility. But I will be buying something I don't need much. But that has never stopped me in the past!

-Don- Auburn, CA

I could tell that by the number of new 2023 Chevy Bolts on the road around here. They must have been giving them away.

Good thing I do not care a bit about resale value on my 2022 Chevy Bolt!

I doubt if I will buy another vehicle for the rest of my life. But an EV truck, perhaps the Dodge Ramcharger EV, is a possibility. But I will be buying something I don't need much. But that has never stopped me in the past!

-Don- Auburn, CA

I personally think the Bolts are one of the best values right now. The used models qualify for the $3750 credit and dealers wanted to move the remaining '23's to make way for the new Equinox EV's.

Of course, none of these Q2 statistics include used EV's sold. There are some scorching deals out there.

You can find low-mile used Bolts for <$20k. They're nice little cars.

They're nice little cars.
Yep, they are great little cars for those who mainly charge at home, as I do. And places where it doesn't snow much.

55KW is a bit slow for a road trip for most people, but still doable. A Tesla can charge up to six times faster than the Bolt from a DCFC. That's a big difference for those who do not want to take extra-long breaks.

The Equinox is ALMOST up to the modern EV charge times. It can DC charge on the road at 150KW. Three times faster than the Bolt, but still about half as fast as a Tesla on a V3 or V4 Supercharger. Tesls'a countless V2 Superchargers can only do 150 KW anyway.

All of these EVs mentioned above are 11.5KW max on an AC home charge (240 VAC).

-Don- Auburn, CA

All of these EVs mentioned above are 11.5KW max on an AC home charge (240 VAC).

Did you see where GM is starting to offer cars with 80-amp, 19.2kW home AC charging capability? Now that's what I need!

Did you see where GM is starting to offer cars with 80-amp, 19.2kW home AC charging capability? Now that's what I need!
That will take some high power stuff at your home. Not many of the AC charge stations can do the 20 KW and you will need to have 100-amp home wiring.

I find my 12 KW home charge to be faster than I really ever need.

You must drive a heck of a lot and not charge at night if you feel you need 20 KW as a home charge.

If I were in that much of a hurry, I would charge up at the local DCFC.

-Don- Auburn, CA

That will take some high power stuff at your home. Not many of the AC charge stations can do the 20 KW and you will need to have 100-amp home wiring.

You must drive a heck of a lot and not charge at night if you feel you need 20 KW as a home charge.

-Don- Auburn, CA
I think the big charge numbers at home would be useful for an EV truck. But for a car it seems overkill. We use a 14-50 receptacle at home and even with that we turn the car charge down to around 6 KW. (24 amps). Always charged in the morning.

Last edited:
I think the big charge nimbets at home would be useful for an EV truck. But for a car it seems overkill. We use a 14-50 receptacle at home and even with that we turn the car charge down to around 6 KW. (24 amps). Always charged in the morning.
Yeah, I have seen your setup.

I always home charge my cars at the full 11.5KW and I never needed it to be any faster even when I charge during the day.

But what works best for each of us will vary a bit.

I last charged my Tesla in Reno to 85%. I still have most of that charge left. I am still over 60% SOC after that 160KM / 99-mile drive (but it was mostly downhill).

-Don- Auburn, CA

-Don- Auburn, CA
Double post

-Don- Auburn, CA

No, it's not truly a need, but for an EV truck I agree it starts to make sense there. GM conveniently sells the 80-amp home charge station, as well as an appropriately large and thirsty EV truck :) I see Silverado EV's starting to hit dealer lots. I've always loved the Chevy Avalanche, and the Silverado EV definitely brings a lot of that styling flavor back.

Forget the "home" part. That 20 KW could be handy on the road where there are no DC fast charging stations, but can find Tesla Destination charge stations or a high-power J-1772, which are now a bit more common.

Where I often get my free AC charge, at my favorite charge stop at the Truckee/Tahoe Airport, their ChargePoints are rated at ~16KW.

That is fast enough to be a bit helpful during a longer lunch break. 16KWHs in one hour, will add around 60 miles of range in most EVs. Stay for two hours and get your next 120 miles of range for free. Thanks to the Truckee/Tahoe airport who pays the bill for the two hours.

For the tech people here who will ask how you can put a 20KW load on a 16 KW charge station, it is what is called the "pilot signal" in EV charging. The AC charge station reduces the 20 KWH charger in the car to the 16 KW or whatever the charge station can handle with that PWM pilot signal.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
Ah, Ford announced Q2! Things are looking good!

EV Sales up 61% year over year.

Hybrid sales up 55%.

ICE fell 5%. :eek:

In before people start posting how much money Ford loses per EV (until they recover their fixed and variable costs, like every vehicle model ever made).

If you open a lemonade stand, every cup of lemonade sold bears the cost of the table, chair, sign, markers, lemons, sugar, water, a pitcher - ALL your fixed and variable costs. If you spent $100 on this beautiful lemonade stand and are selling cups of lemonade for $0.25, and you sold 10 cups of lemonade on your first day in business...you effectively lost $9.75 on every cup of lemonade even though you took in $2.50.

Ah, Ford announced Q2! Things are looking good!

EV Sales up 61% year over year.

Hybrid sales up 55%.

ICE fell 5%. :eek:

In before people start posting how much money Ford loses per EV (until they recover their fixed and variable costs, like every vehicle model ever made).

If you open a lemonade stand, every cup of lemonade sold bears the cost of the table, chair, sign, markers, lemons, sugar, water, a pitcher - ALL your fixed and variable costs. If you spent $100 on this beautiful lemonade stand and are selling cups of lemonade for $0.25, and you sold 10 cups of lemonade on your first day in business...you effectively lost $9.75 on every cup of lemonade even though you took in $2.50.

I wonder why the seemingly contradictory information from Ford then? Both can't be true. Maybe somewhere in the middle I suppose. Of course, there will still be cheerleaders on the sideline regardless of the score.

I wonder why the seemingly contradictory information from Ford then? Both can't be true. Maybe somewhere in the middle I suppose. Of course, there will still be cheerleaders on the sideline regardless of the score.

It's true that Ford loses money on EV's right now, and they will continue to do so despite growing sales. There is no "middle" or cheerleading here, just accounting (GAAP). Ford is still recovering fixed and variable costs related to EV development. But posting the overhead per vehicle and calling it a "loss" sure makes for a juicy media headline. Also, note your article is "opinion" and is referencing data obtained back in Q1.

It's true that Ford loses money on EV's right now, and they will continue to do so despite growing sales. There is no "middle" or cheerleading here, just accounting (GAAP). Ford is still recovering fixed and variable costs related to EV development. But posting the overhead per vehicle and calling it a "loss" sure makes for a juicy media headline. Also, note your article is "opinion" and is referencing data obtained back in Q1.

As I said, cheerleaders on both sides. Providing a balanced perspective is all I'm interested in.

Rounding out Q2 EV sales success was BMW at +24% year over year, and whose EV share has hit 15% of its volume. Not bad.. The i4 is definitely a popular choice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nedh
Back
Top Bottom