Kia Ora from New Zealand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KiwiGal

Hello Everyone

I am delighted to find such a wonderful forum - a wealth of information

To introduce myself, my name is Lynda, and I am about to go full time with the company of my dog. Have just sold my home and will continue to run my Internet business from my RV (we call them Motorhomes in NZ) I currently have a small one, which I use for a week or two at a time. It is wonderful for manouverability, I can get down to the creeks, lakes and rivers, to  enjoy the isolation. but it is too small for full time

I'm about to start shopping (very exciting!) and maybe someone could offer some help here......
Converted Buses are the most common here,

I plan to freedom camp 95% of the time, I wonder what the limitations are of a larger vehicle in terms of where you can go in them?  I am looking at something in the 22-26' size, - about  8 tonnes  and towing a toad.

I have to weigh up size and living comfort versus  the ability to get off the beaten track a little. I am not the type to enjoy being confined to parking lots or pull-vers. Can someone please share their experience on the limitations of an A Class compared to a B?

Alsom Is it a hassle to put a vehicle on an A Frame?

I have never driven a Bus, but I have just gotten the License to do so - it will be a case of learn as I go :) *gulp*

I will look forward to getting to know you all, and would appreciate any sharing on the pro's and con's of a bigger vehicle

Cheers

Lynda

Hi Lynda and welcome to our forum. It's been a while since we had someone from down under on the forum and we're looking forward to your participation.

we call them Motorhomes in NZ

I thought they called them camper vans down there?

Just for clarification, RV is a generic term that we use to cover various types of RV. For an illustrated explanation of the various types click on the Library button above, then click Newcomers need to know and select RV types.

Hi Lynda,

Welcome to our forum. I'm sure you'll find lots of answers here.

We call motorized RVs motorhomes as well. We live full time in a 40' American Dream. I know this would probably much too large for what you want to do. We cannot get into a lot of state and national parks due to length limitations but it sure is nice to have the space when living in it. :)

I think you will find that driving a "bus" is very easy once you get used to it. I would much rather drive my 40' motorhome than our Suzuki Grand Vitara. I'm sure you will do fine.

Be sure to ask any and all questions you may have. There are many folks here who will be more than happy to answer them.

Hi Jim & Tom

Thanks very much for the welcome

I'm sure I wil learn to handle a Bus just fine, I am usually fairly confident and capable.

It does feel like a big move, from large home to RV, as the saying goes "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway!" I can't wait, the real angst is about getting it right in securing the right vehicle

Cheers

Lynda

Hi Lynda,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  It has bee awhile since we heard from anybody in your part of the world.  Please join in the ongoing discussions, start new discussions, or ask any questions you might have relating to the RVing lifestyle.  We are glad you found us.

Lynda,

We sold our house about 6 years ago. We actually have been living in a motorhome for 8 1/2 years. We went from a modest ranch house of about 1700 sq. ft. to 400 sq. ft. with no problem. Easier to take care of than a larger home. :)

Lynda,

Let me add my welcome to you from the RV Forum.  We are delighted that you have found us and hope that you will make this your on-line home for RV and RV-related information.  Please feel free to jump in with comments on existing threads or start on of your own on some subject in which you are interested.

Hi Lynda and welcome aboard RVForum.net!

There is an intermediate size/style of motorhome available here which we call a Class C. It is built on a van or pick-up truck body and typically is offered in lenghts of 22-31 feet.  While a Class A of the same length offers a bit more room,  you can get a Class C built on a 4 wheel drive chassis, which sounds like it would be ideal for your needs.  Don't know if any of the American Class C's are exported to NZ or not, but it probably could be arranged.

Are there brands of bus-type motorhomes sold in NZ or is it more typical that someone converts a bus themselves?

Lynda:  "Is it a hassle to put a vehicle on an A Frame?"

I think you mean a 2 wheel tow behind that you drive your car onto to tow behind the RV. To be used with cars that cannot be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. I dislike them as a hassle. I see folks struggling for 15-30 minutes to get ready to travel and then there is the hassle of where to stow the device while camping.

I favor the class A (bus shaped) RV. It takes all of a couple of hours to get used to the size of the rig. Practice in a large parking lot. Use the mirrors to keep track of where you are in the lanes.

Had the opertunity to tour a bus conversion N of Aukland in the late 80s. Twas one of those odd beasts with 2 steering axles. The wheelchair bound owner had done an interesting job, even included a penthouse sleeping area for 2 kids.

Hello again

and again, thanks for the welcome - it is not so often that forums say "friendly"...and it is!

I have just about gone full circle on what I am going to buy! I have to remember what it is that I enjoy doing the most, and that is nosing up country roads to see what is there, exploring in other words.

It's a big decision, spacevs vs  flexibility, but I am currently thinking that I can compromise on that extra metre of space in order to enjoy the freedom of being able to go into many more places. I'm really not that keen on towing either, less so since reading the description in this thread:) Thanks for that.
I am encourgared to hear from  Jim  that you found it not a problem to go from a home to a bus. I currently have a really big home, with an acre and will be glad to offload the responsibility! Too much work for one, a small intimate space seems very attractive. Have just finished mowing the acre of lawn, thinking " I am SO over doing this"

I think in terms of 'brands' you may be referring to the things such as Winnebagos? There is the odd one here, but it costs a fortune to get them converted to RH Drive, electrics etc and with petrol currently at $1.49 litre, (and rising!) they are not as popular as diesels. There are many companies here that do conversions on buses imported from Japan. I guess brands, for campervans would be the ex-rentals, Maui, Kea etc  basically all the same kind of thing with a bed over the cab and in various lengths.

One thing I do know - every time I see the "SOLD" sticker on the sign at my gate, I am still smiling, so the decision is right in that regard, just fine tuning my exact requirements

Still thinking......

Lynda

KiwiGal said:
I have to remember what it is that I enjoy doing the most, and that is nosing up country roads to see what is there, exploring in other words.

If you were willing and able to tow a small car behind the motorhome, that might remove the restriction on size. i.e. you'd set up camp somewhere that's easily accessible and then use the small car to do your exploring. But I note you prefer not to tow.

I suppose it also depends on what you'd consider to be your "living space". Many RVers consider the outdoors to be their living space and the RV to be merely a place to sleep. In such cases, smaller would work just fine. For years I wanted a truck camper - the kind that slides into the bed of a a 4 wheel drive pickup truck. I figured I could go more places in that than I could in a motorhome or trailer.

There is no need to be reticent about towing a car - it is really quite simple with the proper equipment and vehicle.  Most of us here choose 4-wheel-drive vehicles, which are easy to tow (with the transfer case in neutral) and also ideal for exploring off-road.  Small SUV's like Suzuki or Jeep Liberty tow easily with a small motorhome and hitching them up takes all of two minutes.  And if you are accustomed to a manual gearbox (standard shift), there should be a wide choice of vehicles you could tow.

The type of motorhome you describe is what we call a Class C - typically with a bed over the cab in the shorter length models.

Hi Lynda,

We had spent two years parked in the driveway of our home but lived in the motor home. When I looked out the window all I could see was work. Had no problem driving away. ;D

If you like exploring back roads a smaller rig would make it easier. However, towing is not an issue, really. I need to leave my backup monitor on so I know it's still there. :) The toad will follow right behind the motor home so if you make the turn with the coach you know the toad will make it as well. Over time a smaller rig may start to feel small and you'll be looking for another. :) It's much easier to tow a car behind the motor home than towing a trailer.

Obviously you are the only one that knows what will make you comfortable and must make that decision on your own. I encourage you to keep asking questions and rethinking what you want. If you keep coming back to the same answer, then that's more than likely the correct one.

Back
Top Bottom