King bed or washer/dryer combo...which one would you choose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Professor David

I've started a project to convert our motorhome from a queen to a king size bed. Based on space requirement when the room slide is in, I'll need to give up the ability to put in a washer/dryer combo ( unless I can come up with a very creative engineering plan). After removing panels today, I discovered the washer/dryer plumbing and electrical has been roughed in and is pretty much ready to go, which makes the choice somewhat more difficult. With that said, comfort resulting in a good nights sleep is critical.... The question is...assuming you have a sleeping partner (a queen bed would be fine for me if I slept alone)...and based on your RV experience...would you rather have a king size bed or a washer/dryer combo?

Last edited:
We sleep fine in a queen in both the RV and home. Going to the laundromat sucks. But if your partner or you are keeping each other awake, sleeping comes first.

Last edited:
Unless you are well over 6 ft tall, I'm having a hard time seeing the need for a king bed. I have a queen bed at home, I get half, the cats get the other half. My travel trailer is small, it has what is a full size bed with a corner lopped off, but its fine for me.

Do you travel alot? stay on the road for weeks on end? I'd vote for the washer and dryer.

Charles

Well, I really like clean clothes, but after some 50+ years of travel and laundromats, if it's a choice between sleeping comfortably and being able to wash clothes without going out in public, I really like having a big comfy king bed to sleep on.

We have a king bed at home and a queen in the RV. Somehow we get by with two Golden Retrievers on the bed. Even having a washer dryer we sometimes go to the laundromat for large loads.

Go with the king bed!

Do you travel alot? stay on the road for weeks on end? I'd vote for the washer and dryer.
Good question. We are just getting into the RV world again after a long layoff. I just retired so I have time now. We will probably travel about a month in the summer (late summer to avoid the crowds) and a month in the winter down some place warmer like AZ. So about two months out of the year.

I'd go for the bed.

Depending on whether you plan to boondock a lot or not might affect your decision as you'd probable need hook ups to run a washer/dryer and small loads only.

We go once a week usually and the laundry takes under 2 hours and that's it done. More time to go do other stuff.

Will it impact future sale - would be a consideration too.

The DW and I have slept on double, queen and king. I am 6' so the double's length did not work for me. We have never felt the need for the extra width of the king. With that, we would go for the washer/dryer. As far as value in an RV where space is a bit more limited than in a house, I would put a king bed as a negative as that space could be used for better purposes elsewhere, whether it be a washer/dryer, more walking space around he bed, a little more space in the bathroom, whatever.

The question of "RV" vs conventional size would be the primary consideration, otherwise king and queen are the same length. Something I've done both in my popup when I had it and now the class A is to slide the mattress down and put a cushion in the gap, adding a foot or so which gives me more of an effective sleeping length than I have at home. Slide the mattress back when you make the bed and you get your aisle space back.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

We have had two Class A RVs, both queen beds, we use a king at home. 1st RV - no washer dryer (came to hate laundramats in 2 years). 2nd RV - washer/dryer combo (abosolutely love it). But, it's got to fit into your RV Lifestyle. We use full hookup sites almost all the time and do a small load of laundry every AM> Put it in and forget about it for a couple hours.
We do not miss the king bed at home while we are away.

Generally king beds are not longer than queen beds, just wider. Of course some RVs have an “RV queen” which can be shorter. And note our “RV king” is the same length as a regular king but a bit narrower!

Last edited:
We have a queen mattress and are happy with the size. We have the same at home.
As far as the combo, I’ve always said that if my DW had to have a choice between either me or the combo, she’d have to think about got a bit.
🥸

Having recently upgraded from a full to a queen I can understand the appeal of a larger mattress. On the other hand I spent 6 months in a place where the good laundromat was a 45 minute drive. For us as full timers the washer dryer combo was a must.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom