KING DOME SATELLITE ISSUE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn

I have a question for all of you knowledgeable folks in RV land.  We have a King Dome Satellite system (9702lp) which is 10 years old.
After not using for a few months, we went to turn it on and it wouldn't work. Jim went up on the roof, removed the plastic dome and it had about an inch of water inside the base.  We attempted to dry it out for a few days.  It is now totally dry.  Is it normal to get water inside? There isn't any type of seal under the dome and no cracks.
Yesterday, we tried it again and again it wouldn't turn. Little lights up there come on but the "dish" doesn't turn. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
JoAnn

I'm not familiar with the King Dome (I have KVH) but cannot imagine that water inside is OK. Did the water get high enough to reach any electronics or motors?

Unless you were really happy with that unit (which I can't imagine), I'd just replace it. 10 years may be close to the end of it's natural life anyway, and technology is vastly superior now. My Kingdome would stop working with heavy dew, rain, snow, or on a whim whenever it wanted. I did not ever get water inside though. I replaced it with an open dish unit (Travler) and have been quite happy.

The new open dishes will support multiple tv's on different channels, recorders, and HD TV. My current TV's are not HD but when one of them dies, I'm sure that the only replacements available will be HD.

Ken

bucks2 said:
Unless you were really happy with that unit (which I can't imagine), I'd just replace it. 10 years may be close to the end of it's natural life anyway, and technology is vastly superior now. My Kingdome would stop working with heavy dew, rain, snow, or on a whim whenever it wanted. I did not ever get water inside though. I replaced it with an open dish unit (Travler) and have been quite happy.

The new open dishes will support multiple tv's on different channels, recorders, and HD TV. My current TV's are not HD but when one of them dies, I'm sure that the only replacements available will be HD.

Ken
Actually up until the last year or so, we were very happy with it.  Since Direct TV sent us new boxes, it's been more troublesome.  I'm assuming it's the old technology vs new.  Which dish did you end up with?  Is this it? http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/winegard-travler-dish-1000-multi-satellite-tv-antenna/37341

I have to say, I worry about leaks when the existing is removed, have you had any problem?

I really was hoping to get a little more time out of what we have already, but that may not be in the cards. 

Thanks for your reply.
JoAnn

Gary RV Roamer said:
I'm not familiar with the King Dome (I have KVH) but cannot imagine that water inside is OK. Did the water get high enough to reach any electronics or motors?

The water got about an inch high.  Enough to reach some wires and connections.  :(  I know...not good.

So I guess we'll need to ask for comparisons for satellite systems, next :(

Yes, I bought the Travler 1000 from PPL motorhomes parts division. Their price was the best I could find and delivery was much faster than I expected.

I did not take my Kingdome dish off yet. I wanted a season to make sure the Travler was going to do what I wanted before I tore out the old. I located the new dish closer to the front of the rig so I could use all new wiring (even though the rig was only 6 years old) and so that I had some options on sites with trees etc., I might be able to get a better signal by having the antenna closer to the road.

When we get back home I'll take the Kingdome off and patch the holes. My planned sealing method is sealant, metal patch cut to fit, and then sealing tape over that. I can't remember the name of the roofing tape, maybe someone else can add that for me.

I've been very very happy with the change.

Ken

Latest DirecTV SWM version of the Winegard Travler is $1495.00 on Amazon.com. I am happy with the performance of mine.

Thanks everyone!  Jim has some  Eternabond.  Ken, good luck with it all.  I'll try to update what happens with our situation. 
Thanks again!

JoAnn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom