Kingpin Stabilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CircleGrammy

Is there anything I need to know before purchasing a stabilizer for a 38’ 5th wheel? In case it matters, the dry weight is 12,018 lbs and GVWR 15,500. Thanks

We had a 40' 5er with the same GVWR. During the 8 years we traveling that 5er neither of us felt like a king pin stabilizer was needed or would stabilize the 5er more. What helped the most was the Strongarm stabilizers on the front jacks.
If you really want a king pin stabilizer, used ones are quite often for sale, just check the for sale adds on RV discussion forums.

Thanks Ray. The seller suggested the stabilizer since I’m going to be permanently situated in one location. It’s not there yet. I guess if it seems stable enough when I move in I might change my mind.

If it’s going to be permanent, I wouldn’t be concerned about using one just yet. Jack up the rig and put it on concrete blocks under each corner and maybe in the middle. If the front still feels a little spongy, then maybe buy one. I use to have a two legged one and it worked good. That may be all you’ll need.

Good advice from Rene. Wait & see is the primary answer. Second is to put solid support (jack stands, or wood or concrete blocks) under the trailer frame. It is easy and simple to use car-type adjustable jack stands at key points and they don't wobble. A 2-3 ton stand is plenty for each point (you will want 4 or maybe 6).

Back
Top Bottom