Kitchen Counter Space

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baysidegal

We have a number of local campgrounds close to home with a multitude of RVs so we often take the opportunity to talk to people about their coaches.

Tonight I heard a lot of complaints from gals about the lack of kitchen counter space.
We are looking at a  used Class A under 30'....any recommendations on who has a larger kitchen?

We were told when you are dragging around an island bed you lose on kitchen space...
Is this the trade-off?

About the only solution I know of is a portable table which can be set at or near counter height

I sometiems use a portable table when I get into the kitchen,  Several advantages (mine is set much lower than counter height)

Baysiidegal,

I would advise you to look at any RV without a walk-around queen and invision making it up every day. I think you'll find that this arrangement might far outweigh any extra space a galley might have because of it! The worst bed arrangement is a corner bunk. There's no easy way to get the bed clothes fitted so they look good.

All space in an RV is a tradeoff, and the smaller the rig the more obvious the trades.  If you want more bath or toilet space, you give up something. If you want an island bed (very desirable), you give up something. More closets or cabinets - give up something.  That's why RVers gravitate towards ever larger rigs and more slides - you buy back space you traded away in a smaller big.

In a 30 foot Class A, everything is going to be a bit crowded. I know it looks spacious when you walk through, but when it comes to daily life you will find numerous small irritations. An island bed is convenient, but yes it takes more space. Most likely, that space used for the island will detract from bedroom storage and bath area rather than galley, but if they also try to make the bath area larger than the galley has to suffer as well.  Only you can decide what tradeoffs work best for you.

You get more usable space in a 30 foot trailer than a 30 foot motorhome and more space in a Class A than a Class C.

Thank you all for your great input...LOTS of good info to process...
I think we'll have to get into a few more and sniff around to see what
trade offs we are willing to put up with.
Being as DH is disabled the bed and the bath are a bigger concern....
So I guess I won't have to cook as much..HA HA!! ;D

;D By the time you folks buy your larger and larger RV's, you might as well stay in a hotel and eat out... it might be cheaper  ;D

Gottasmilealot said:
  ;D By the time you folks buy your larger and larger RV's, you might as well stay in a hotel and eat out... it might be cheaper  ;D

It just might be but having your own bed and bath at all times is worth quite a bit. :) Besides, when was the last time you actually had a conversation with a person in a motel or, for that matter, had someone say "good morning"? ;D It's true that RVing isn't as cheap as some people think but it certainly is a great way to see this country of ours as well as Canada and Mexico.

I use my dinette table to offload things while prepping and cooking.  I also bought the little 12" countertop extender, which dh hasn't installed yet.  In nicer weather I plan to do more outdoor cooking, so I will have a large table outside for that.  For more space for food prep you can use one of the stovetop covers and the the sink covers as extra counterspace.

I didn't even consider not having a walkaround q-size bed.  The others would be too hard to make up, and too hard for the inside person to get out of bed during the night.  And neither of us want to sleep against the wall.

cuts_up said:
I use my dinette table to offload things while prepping and cooking.  I also bought the little 12" countertop extender, which dh hasn't installed yet.  In nicer weather I plan to do more outdoor cooking, so I will have a large table outside for that.  For more space for food prep you can use one of the stovetop covers and the the sink covers as extra counterspace.

I didn't even consider not having a walkaround q-size bed.  The others would be too hard to make up, and too hard for the inside person to get out of bed during the night.  And neither of us want to sleep against the wall.

Can you tell me where you found a counter extender?? i have been looking for one to no avail. thanks!

Lazy Daze (the manufacturer not the dealer which is Lazy Days) puts flip-up kitchen counter extenders in their RVs.  We had a 22-footer and a 30-footer and the extender helped a lot.

ArdraF

Thanks for the link to the counter extender.  I have been considering this one myself.  I do know someone who used it and it was installed at the time of purchase (of the new motorhome).  They found it didn't last a week.  It may have been installed wrong but it ripped right through their cabinet leaving large holes. They opted to not replace it, covering the holes with 2" strip of molding. 

Having read the review on the link, It looks like it doesn't come "ready" to install but needs modifications.  I am considering talking with a cabinet maker about making me a shelf and installing it.  If I do I'll let you all know how it comes and the cost. 

JoAnn

DH looked mine over a few weeks ago and hasn't decided how to install it yet.  He said he doesn't think it will work, like you said, that it will pull out.  There is some space above the top drawer, so maybe he will install a small piece of wood inside the cabinet screw into.  Maybe that will give the support it needs. 

We've had counter extensions in all our RVs and never had a problem. I mostly use them to stack the dishes before washing and haven't ever put anything really heavy on them.

Thanks, Wendy, that's good to hear.  I can't imagine stacking much on it.  As soon as I fill it up someone will want to use the door, and the extension will be right in front of the door.
:-\

My answer to kitchen counter space needed was to get the Fifth Wheel. It gives so much more room inside, Very pleased with this switch over.

cuts_up said:
Thanks, Wendy, that's good to hear.  I can't imagine stacking much on it.  As soon as I fill it up someone will want to use the door, and the extension will be right in front of the door.
:-\

Our extension is also in front of the door when up. Pays to warn everyone when it's deployed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom