knee trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pedataa136

Hi everyone.A little off topic here.Contemplating knee replacement surgery as a last resort.I have degenerative arthritis and have been through all the procedures and all have failed.54 years old in excellent condition.(Except for stinking knee). :(Would like some advise  from my fellow sufferers. :-\Thanks,Steve.

pedataa136 said:
Hi everyone.A little off topic here.Contemplating knee replacement surgery as a last resort.I have degenerative arthritis and have been through all the procedures and all have failed.54 years old in excellent condition.(Except for stinking knee). :(Would like some advise  from my fellow sufferers. :-\Thanks,Steve.

If your doctor and surgeon say you are healthy enough otherwise, my advice would be to go for it -- the sooner the quicker!!!  :)

We have a number of forum members here that have had their knees done - with great success. For a number of years at our Quartzsite Rally, Helaine (the "boss") needed to be parked close to the center of the rally site, and it hurt my knees to watch her struggle each evening getting to our happy hours. She has since had both replaced. This past January, I set up a 2 mile desert walk each AM for all who wanted to join in. It was quite popular for those of us that ventured out.

By the time we reached the one mile point, Helaine was about 1/4 mile ahead of the pack - and it was very difficult for the rest of us to keep up with her. She is obviously one happy camper with her new knees. Jim Johnson had one of his replaced and will be in QZ this coming January and we will expect him to do the AM 2 miler as well. One evening at happy hour, Wendy asked how many had had replacements and we were all amazed at how many hands went up.

With me it was my hips. Several years ago I had the first one done, then six months later the second one -- and couldn't be more pleased. The technology has advance to that very little can go wrong. There have been stories of them turning out bad, but the success rate is extremely high.

I saw my GP doc today and got a referral to an orthopedic surgeon.  I presume from the P's diagnosis, I am likely to get a knee replacement. My question is, how long can I expect to be laid up before I can drive, and resume the RV travel?

Dean

My 82-year-old mother had one knee done a year ago and is in excellent shape. She said she should have had it done years earlier. She was one of the ones who joined in on Bob's Quartzsite walks and would have gone further had she not stayed behind with Dad who has lung issues. Mom had her knee done in the spring and was off on the road in the fall. Isn't it wonderful what they can do now with joints and hearts and other body parts?

Wendy

A few years ago Chris' knee surgery was the first surgery at a new hospital in a nearby town. There were only two surgeries scheduled that day. When I met the doc in the waiting room after the surgery, he told me she was going into the OR next. When I explained that they wheeled her in 2 hours ago, he said "I'm confused". The photos he took inside her knee were outstanding.

I went to see the same surgeon about my knee 6+ months ago. I opted for a cortisone shot, but I know that sooner or later I need to bite the bullet.

I had both knees replaced just under two years ago.  Have had excellent results.  Doing 3 miles a day on the beach at present. 

Go for it.  I had a hip replaced in 2005 and its been fantastic.  I wish I'd had it done earlier.

After many years of steady degeneration, it finally got to the point that I could hardly walk.  If I'd waited much longer and continued to not do much physical activity, the rehab required to come back would have taken much longer.  Don't wait until you're totally out of shape and you'll come back much quicker.

hamguy said:
I saw my GP doc today and got a referral to an orthopedic surgeon.  I presume from the P's diagnosis, I am likely to get a knee replacement. My question is, how long can I expect to be laid up before I can drive, and resume the RV travel?

I get conflicting stories, Dean -- as far as recovery of knees vs. hips. Some say sooner, some longer, some about the same. Total hip recovery will take from 6 months to a year to be doing those mile walks and such. However, you will be up and around in about 6 weeks fairly well. My surgeon's criteria for driving was when I was off of pain pills and a walker -- and doing OK on a cane. I was able to drive my Jeep 5 weeks after the left hip was done, and 4 after the right one. It was easier after the left hip was done as my good leg was OK with the brake pedal, whereas after the right hip was done, I had to do the brake pedal with the left foot.

There are newer techniques on hips now that resurface the current joint vs. replacing it -- and that eliminates cutting the femur and is much less intrusive. Recovery and after surgery activity is broader as well. Jimmy Connors had this done is actively playing tennis again - whereas there is far less impact activity after THR (total hip replacement).

Thanks.I've heard good things too,but it's nice to hear from those who have lived it. :)

Ah, knee surgery, one of my favorite topics........NOT
I had my right knee replaced in 2002 at the age of 56 and was up driving my Expedition in 3 weeks, much to the chagrin of my doc. Never any problem with my right knee. My left was another story. Had that replaced in 2006 and have had nothing but problems since in spite of the fact that I did all my therapy and continued at the gym afterwards. Just luck of the draw I guess. I know my left knee was the worst of the 2 from years of being a jock  ;D My problem is one of scar tissue. It seemed to have formed and has not broken up yet in 2009. I had the scar tissue removed last October and it still hasn't got much better.
Nothwitstanding, my left knee is better than what is was before surgery so I'm glad I did it. Just wish my outcome was more positive.
BY all means.....go for it and work hard after getting the use of the knee(s) back soon.

Good Luck
Bob

My mom was almost eighty when she tripped and shattered her kneecap. She was in excellent health, just had a senior moment and didn't notice a step. After the surgery, the doc told her she would never get about without assistance if at all.
He didn't know her. :D
She got annoyed with the cane and ditched it after 3 weeks. After a treatment the physio asked her if someone was picking her up. No, she was o.k. she would walk.
Him" Whaat?"
Her "Oh yes, I will be fine."
Him "How did you get here?"
Her "I walked."
Him" Why are you here?"
Her" The doctor said I should"
Him (laughing) " Get out of here, you don't need me. You are doing far more for yourself than I ever could."
She lived 9 blocks from his office.
My wife suffers from painful knee inflammation but refuses to let it stop her. For those of you with knee surgery or replacements, get back on your feet as soon as you can and get it working. After injuring mine in a motorcycle accident, the doc told me to keep it moving. Three weeks of inactivity would mean three months of therapy.

Never at a loss for a good story around here. ;)Since Bob and I are about the same age(and both drive a Exped.) I'm hoping for the same results he had.From his first surgery that is. :)

pedataa136 said:
Hi everyone.A little off topic here.Contemplating knee replacement surgery as a last resort.I have degenerative arthritis and have been through all the procedures and all have failed.54 years old in excellent condition.(Except for stinking knee). :(Would like some advise  from my fellow sufferers. :-\Thanks,Steve.

Hi! Sorry This is late but I have been too busy swimming, walking the dog ,and just enjoying being able to walk again. I am the Helaine that Bob spoke of. My knees were done a year apart. My Doc said every knee is different even with the same procedures and that is true. My right knee is Dang near perfect. No problems at all.My left knee was the most damaged one and now it does not have the bend I would like  but as Bob said I am one happy camper. I was in such pain for so long, 20 years, I walked with a cane and sometimes two canes. I could not shop except in stores that had electric carts.
After looking at the ex-rays my Doc said "I don't know how you walk at all"
That is all behind me now. No pain, I can out walk our dog, and can stand and cook and all the things I use to miss doing. If I had to do it again I would sign the papers today.
Advise..DO THE EXERCISES. Everyday, over and over, then if it comes out a little short of perfect you know you did what you could. Considering where I was  I have no need to complain about where I am.
Good luck.

Helaine

Thanks Helaine.I love a happy ending.Since I'm still of working age I will do all that's required,and then some.Luckily it's only one knee so I have some help from the other.Tired of the agony and just waiting for the call.Keep on truckin(I mean walkin).

Steve,
I had both knees done at  the same time, almost I think he did one at a time. I was walking in three days, up stairs in five and back to work in 10 days. I could not drive for two weeks as I was taking strong pain killers.

The only thing I would do differently is do it sooner.

The key is to follow therapy instructions, the pain is short term, walking pain free is then forever, well almost forever.
Jim

Thanks Jim.That's the kinda story I wanna here.Scaring me with the pain thing a little though. ;)

pedataa136 said:
Scaring me with the pain thing a little though. ;)

Most hospitals use the 0 to 10 pain scale thing -- where 0 is no pain and 10 is really bad. During my recovery, mine reached a 4 maybe 2 or three times on either of my hip replacements. Prior to the replacements, a 5 or 6 was not uncommon if I pushed walking on either one.

I never had to take the full daily dose of medication -- and when any was needed, the pain (actually more of an ache) quickly went away, I started acting silly, then fell asleep. Not an unpleasant time at all . . .  ;) :)

I hear you Bob.Seems the only upside to this whole business are the recovery meds. :eek: Since I rarely sleep more than 5 hrs a night,la la land sounds pretty cool. ;D

pedataa136 said:
I hear you Bob.Seems the only upside to this whole business are the recovery meds. :eek: Since I rarely sleep more than 5 hrs a night,la la land sounds pretty cool. ;D

Re Pain meds. It helped me to chart everything, how much pain-what I did for exercise-how much med did I take and time between. From the beginning I never took all of the meds prescribed. Didn't need them and I really dislike taking them
Oxycodon was prescribed I took Ibuprofen. Most discomfort was at night and it then that i would take something stronger. But that didn't last long.

Pedata - Well, you heard from Helaine.  What she didn't say, I will.  The way she walks now versus the way she walked before is like night and day.  She really moves out now!  And we were all so delighted when her cane went into the campfire!  ;)  I suspect you'll wonder why you waited so long....

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom