Knock-Knock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On your way back through LA, google "Avery Island". It's the location of the Tabasco factory. The tour is interesting, and the island also has a botanical garden and a bird sanctuary that make for a good day trip. My wife and I liked Lake Fausse Pointe St Park as a place to stay, but I think Isaac prefers Palmetto Lake St. Park.
Best shrimp po' boys ever at Bon Creole seafood in New Iberia(don't let the outside of the building fool you).

So who was it?????????????????
It had to be a ghost!

I still hear it randomly, but lately only perhaps once in several hours. Is less often, but it's so random, I cannot be sure of anything.

But one thing that is NOT random, is the two loud and clear knocks. They sound EXACTLY the same way every time in every way possible. Only when it happens is random.

They are somewhat loud, but somehow it's difficult to figure the direction. One time it sounded like it was coming from up front, but mostly sounds like it's coming from the refrigerator or that area.

If I ever figure it out, I will post here what it was. Maybe someday I will hear it when my ear is right next to it or something like that.

-Don- Marianna, FL

Because this motorhome is still fairly new?

I guess if that's the case, I will never know, but perhaps it will go away on it's own. But it is NOT getting any less loud, just less often.

-Don- Marianna, FL
If the noise is not as often, it may be just breaking in whereas it’s new.

When you get to a spot where you’ll be for several days, look ahead at the weather. pick a timeframe where it will be completely sunny for four days. The first two days see if the noise is still there. If it is, on the third day, if you can, turn the MH around so it’s facing the other direction. See if the noise goes away. If it does, on the fourth day, rotate it back to the initial direction and see if the noise comes back. That will tell you if the sun beating down on a particular side is causing your issue.

I'm still going with ghosts. And since they don't seem to scare you, they just moved on.
Probably only one ghost. There is no need to be afraid of a friendly ghost!

BTW, I heard it once tonight. At 2315 hrs. About an hour ago. This is the first time I heard the "knock-knock" at night. It sounded more like it was coming from behind the refrigerator this time.

It was less loud this time. I would think it would sound louder at night, but it wasn't as loud as usual, but it was the same clear double knock. In the past it has always been the same volume. Perhaps it's not as loud at night for whatever reason.

-Don- Marianna, FL

Just a thought.. I'm not 100 percent sure what it was but the general "Sense" I had is the B.I.R.D. Isolation device.. I kept hearing a constant knock.....knock.....knock.....knock (more like a Tick Tock to my ears) which I took to be the isolator solenoid opening and closing about once a second when parked and plugged in.

Try to "localise" the sound (Figure out where it comes from) In my case it was the front. I never fully located it but it was the area of the main battery control center (Solenoids) and main power distro for the chassis (Relays but they CLICK not CLUNK)

I just had an idea… if a motor is mounted on rubber mounts and the unit is too close to something, when it starts, the torque may cause it to hit something, rebound, and hit again. Would explain the consistency of the double knock.

I just had an idea… if a motor is mounted on rubber mounts and the unit is too close to something, when it starts, the torque may cause it to hit something, rebound, and hit again. Would explain the consistency of the double knock.
I heard the "ghost" the most (that rhymes!) when I was parked for several days in a row at ABQ, NM, not much motor use of any type then.

But at times I have wondered if the noise is from under the RV. It is difficult to tell where it is coming from.

-Don- Ocala North RV Resort, FL

Like maybe a fan on the backside of a fridge.

I just heard it quite loud! And it's night again. I am now about 99.5% sure it is coming from the refrigerator.

-Don- Everglades Nat'l Park, FL

Back
Top Bottom