Knock-Knock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd suggest you just unplug (not just turn off) the refrigerator for several hours at a time periodically. You will see the correlation quickly if that's the source.

Ernie

I heard it again for a 2nd time late last night and that time it sounded like it came from the very front of the RV. Same sound from two different areas?

-Don- Everglades, FL

Has anyone mentioned the water pump?
We had a minuscule water leak and the water pump “ thump thump” ( two thumps each time 2-3 hrs apart) would actually wake me up. Didn’t notice it much in daytime.
Had to remember to shut pump off at night. Took a couple of years to find leak

Really, I may need GhostBusters.

I just heard the double knock twice, nice and loud, only about 30 seconds apart. And both of them sounded like somebody knocking on my door! At 2330 hrs!

What gets me is sometimes it sounds like the door, sometimes up front, but most often the refrigerator. Where I hear it from is somewhat random also.

When I was in ABQ, I heard it once about every half hour during the day only, but not at night. Now it's mostly at night, but not as often, other than this time that was only about 30 seconds apart.

Whatever makes this sound, doesn't want me to find it!

-Don- Everglades Nat'l Park, FL

Does it happen - slides in/out? Awning in/out? Steps in/out? Just a few of the systems that have movement and could possibly cause strange noises.

I thought of you and your ghost last night. I put an empty cookie package in the trash, and sort of pushed it down at the same time. That stupid plastic tray in the package popped and made other weird noises for a hour. The first couple of times it made noise, I didn't know what it was.

Does it happen - slides in/out? Awning in/out? Steps in/out? Just a few of the systems that have movement and could possibly cause strange noises.
I think I have only heard it with slides out and steps out. I have yet to put the awning out.

BTW, I heard it again last night. And this time it sounded like it came from the very rear of the motorhome. That was the first and only time I heard it come from the very rear. It seems to move around! But always a double knock, somewhat like a solenoid sound engaging and disengaging.

I think I have only heard it with slides out and steps out. I have yet to put the awning out.

BTW, I heard it again last night. And this time it sounded like it came from the very rear of the motorhome. That was the first and only time I heard it come from the very rear. It seems to move around! But always a double knock, somewhat like a solenoid sound engaging and disengaging.

Does it only occur when the jacks are extended? Some hydraulic jacks make a pretty loud "pop" sound now and then when they settle some after being deployed. Sometimes the popping depends on how far the jacks are extended.

Does it only occur when the jacks are extended? Some hydraulic jacks make a pretty loud "pop" sound now and then when they settle some after being deployed. Sometimes the popping depends on how far the jacks are extended.
Yes! That is something I never thought of and that will explain why I hear it from different areas. Four different jacks in four different areas. But why a double knock every time?

Yes! That is something I never thought of and that will explain why I hear it from different areas. Four different jacks in four different areas. But why a double knock every time?

I've seen reports of both single and double "knocks" or "pops" that may just be differences in the jack construction. I had a backhoe/loader years ago that had one cylinder that always popped twice after awhile if I left the hoe boom suspended. A couple of jacks on our current coach pop once or twice now and then, other times not at all.

Yup, I didn't think of the jacks. I had that issue some years ago. The jack(s) would "leak" just a bit, by the seals or whatever and make a "knocking" sound.

Good one Dutch (y)

I think you figured out my ghost! It all makes perfect sense, especially the coming from different areas.

Looks like I will not need Ghost Busters after all!

Retract the jacks for a couple of days and see what happens

Retract the jacks for a couple of days and see what happens
There is no need. When I took my maiden voyage in this new RV to Cold Springs Station, NV, I spent more time inside this RV than ever (mainly to check things out and figure out how they work). At that time, I could not use my levelling jacks because the harness for the jacks was missing and on backorder.

On that trip, I never heard the knock-knock at all, and I was mostly inside the RV with no jacks possible to use.

There is a lot of evidence that it was caused from the jacks all along.

The very first time I heard it, it was at the RV park in Kingman. The next time, I was in ABQ in an RV Park. THen in an RV Park in Marianna. Then I heard it here. All four places I used the levelling jacks.

NY_Dutch spoiled our fun!;)

The big mystery is all solved. Thanks.

-Don-

The reason I kept on mostly thinking it was the refrigerator is because the levelling jack is just past it under this motorhome.

But when the other jacks made the noise, it was last often, but was enough to really add to the confusion.

Levelling jacks has to be it, it just all fits so perfectly for so many reasons.

There is no need. When I took my maiden voyage in this new RV to Cold Springs Station, NV, I spent more time inside this RV than ever (mainly to check things out and figure out how they work). At that time, I could not use my levelling jacks because the harness for the jacks was missing and on backorder.

On that trip, I never heard the knock-knock at all, and I was mostly inside the RV with no jacks possible to use.

There is a lot of evidence that it was caused from the jacks all along.

The very first time I heard it, it was at the RV park in Kingman. The next time, I was in ABQ in an RV Park. THen in an RV Park in Marianna. Then I heard it here. All four places I used the levelling jacks.

NY_Dutch spoiled our fun!;)

The big mystery is all solved. Thanks.

-Don-
Don’t you want to try testing it just one more time?

Back
Top Bottom