KOA Campground or another option?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoundrel

Hello !

My wife and I are planning to make a trip from So. Ca. to Ecorse Michigan in the early to mid summer.
Being new to RV'ing I only know of KOA for RV campgrounds. Is there a other commercial campgrounds that are setup for RV's? or another web site resource I can use to plot out where to stay on our travels?

There are many alternatives to KOA, most of them better &/or lower priced. Buy yourself a copy of Woodall's campgrounrd guide at Camping World.

We've been very disappointed with most of the KOA campgrounds we've stayed at, although there have been some exceptions.

Many other campgrounds and IMHO better options. ?Trailer life campground directory is a good source to find campgrounds. ?We also use Passport America when ever possible. ?We usually avoid KOA unless that is the only choice.

Ron said:
Trailer life campground directory is a good source to find campgrounds.

Didn't realize you were a proponent of Affinity Group Ron.

My wife and I prefer state, county and Corp. of Army Engineer camgrounds.  Some have electric and water hook-ups, some don't, and some will not allow pets -- but we find the public campground's to be far nicer.  In addition to Woodall's (available in many local libraries) and AAA's campground directories, we search the internet for state park campgrounds and we also go to http://www.reserveusa.com/ and http://www.reserveamerica.com/ for federal campgrounds.

Scoundrel said:
Hello !

My wife and I are planning to make a trip from So. Ca. to Ecorse Michigan in the early to mid summer.
Being new to RV'ing I only know of KOA for RV campgrounds. Is there a other commercial campgrounds that are setup for RV's? or another web site resource I can use to plot out where to stay on our travels?
?

KOAs are franschise parks that attract a range of users -- from motorhomes to car campers to cabin renters.  As a rule they tend to have a range of activities and more than little hubbub.  If you do not like that, you will not like a KOA.  Myself, I am pretty tolerent of it.  Others are not.  Some KOAs are like camping in a Chucky Cheese.  Others, like the West Glacier KOA, next to Glacier NP, are true gems.

For general use, most of us use either the Trailer Life or the Woodall's  Campground Directory.  These books list a huge number of CGs by location and evaluate their facilities, sanitation, and environment, giving details on site widths and max lengths, prices,  and services (water, electric, and sewer).  Buy one.  They are invaluable.  I use mine to call ahead to make nightly reservations on the road.

BTW those guides evaluate KOAs also.

Carl, How about the East Glacier KOA in St Mary?.  We plan to use it on our trip to Alaska this spring.

Scoundrel said:
Hello !

My wife and I are planning to make a trip from So. Ca. to Ecorse Michigan in the early to mid summer

Generally I think KOA's tend to be a bit over priced,  They do tend to be decent, clean, and neat, but over priced

Of course that's just my opinion.

Let me know when you are in S.E. Michigan... I'm in Detroit, not far from Ecorse

Where do you plan on staying while in ecorse? The Detroit/Greenfield KOA has new owner's and are trying to improve things. You could go broke investing in locks staying at the Wayne county fair grounds. HarborTown is $42 a nite, buts works out to less that $30 if you pay by the week. FHU'S with on site cable and phone. That would be my choice. harbortownrv.com. Please visit the Henry Ford (greenfield village,and museum).  For anyone that hasn't been there in 10 years, they have redone them, and rename them The Henry Ford, and it's really really great.

Hope this Helps
Barb & Frank
Lincoln Park, MI

Currently at Colorado River Oasis
Ehrenberg, Az

We are not looking for the resort type of park. Only a comfortable place to stay on our journey. 

I used Microsoft street and map software to make a route. It also shown RV parks along the route but obviously not all of them.

The Woodall's directories are broken up into sections like " Western, Midwest, South, and Eastern states" I guess to travel across the country you would need to purchase all of them? I'll check with AAA.   

Scoundrel said:
The Woodall's directories are broken up into sections like " Western, Midwest, South, and Eastern states" I guess to travel across the country you would need to purchase all of them? I'll check with AAA.   

Scoundrel

Woodalls has a map of each state preceding the listing of that state's campgrounds. On the map, the cities or locations of the listed campgrounds are identified by a W. To the best of my knowledge, Woodalls only publishes 3 editions, a Western, an Eastern and a combined (about the size of a large city's phone book. Using the map before the states that you are interested in, it would be easy to locate and plot campgrounds.

Bernie,

Check here: http://www.woodalls.com/shop/

You will find at least 8 different campground directories.

The combined one you speak of is the "North America guide" I would think it would be cost effective to purchase this one rather then each of the 8 others on a need basis.

Woodalls also publishes convenient regional editions, each comprising a half-dozen or so states. The data is the same as the larger editions.  Those may be the ones scoundrel is referring to.  Obviously the East & West editions or the combined North America edition is more appropriate for cross country travel.

Scoundrel said:
Bernie,

The combined one you speak of is the "North America guide" I would think it would be cost effective to purchase this one rather then each of the 8 others on a need basis.

Scoundrel

I would imagine that some combintion of the versions I mentioned would suit your request.

The KOA in St. Mary's is pretty sparse and "open". I stayed there one night for hook-ups and to do laundry. I recommend the Many Glacier campground - beautiful setting, hikes right out of the campground and lots of wildlife. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom