KOA in San Antonio, TX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yukon

Does anybody has experience with the KOA in San Antonio?? Is it nice?? Or would be better to stay somewhere like Kerrville,? even though it's pretty darn far: 60 miles.
Thanks for any suggestions.? Yukon

We just spent a week in Kerrville and it's a very nice area.  If you don't have daily business in SA, I would recommend staying out here in the hill country.  We generally avoid KOAs.

There are a couple of parks in the Bandera/Medina area. We haven't stayed at any of them as we stay at the TT when we are in the SA area.
It is only a short drive into SA and also a short drive up to Fredricksburg and the hill country.

Dave

The KOA is O.K., but I wouldn't stay there except for the need to be close to downtown S.A..  If you have business there, it is convenient, but I would prefer something else.  You should probably consider: The Admiralty RV Resort, Tejas Village, Blazing Star Luxury RV Resort or Alamo Fiesta RV Resort in Boerne, just north of S.A..

Good luck.

Yukon said:
Does anybody has experience with the KOA in San Antonio?  Is it nice?  Or would be better to stay somewhere like Kerrville,  even though it's pretty darn far: 60 miles.
Thanks for any suggestions.  Yukon

Howdy, Yukon.

Since you are a new fulltimer, do you know about the Escapees RV Club? If you were an Escapee, you could stay out here in Hondo in the Lone Star Corral which is a SKP co-op park. We are staying here for the winter. The monthly rate for an Escapee is very reasonable. 
Are you going to visit San Antonio and do tourist stuff? How soon do you need to have information? We have not stayed in any RV park in San Antonio. We did stay one night at Alamo Fiesta up in Boerne. The park is OK.  We did look carefully at Blazing Star but decided against it because we felt that it's sites were too narrow and really not very level for our 40 ft. coach. Now there is a small modest park in Bandera, Pioneer River Resort, which is on the Medina River. Ned and Lorna Reiter stayed there for a week and they could give you their opinions on that park. Yes, Kerrville is a far piece from San Antonio and we checked out rv resorts there. Very expensive.  Hope this info is helpful to you.

regards,
Liz

Thanks Liz and everybody who responded to my inquiry about KOA in SA.? Thanks for taking your time.? ?I will check out all the RV parks you suggested.? Yes we are going to be doing the touristy stuff in SA.? My wife was stationed there years ago and she liked the town.? We plan to stay there for a couple of weeks.? So the closeness to San Anton is a bit of a? factor.? I was surprised to hear them some of you are not exactly fond of KOA campgrounds.? Would you care to share the reason for that?? ?I am staying at one here in Texas, for a few days.? Liz,? I have been on Escapees website,? so I know of them.? I will check into that as well.?

It's so good to have all these tips.? To find all that on your own would take a long time.? Yukon

Jackliz said:
Howdy, Yukon.

Since you are a new fulltimer, do you know about the Escapees RV Club? If you were an Escapee, you could stay out here in Hondo in the Lone Star Corral which is a SKP co-op park. We are staying here for the winter. The monthly rate for an Escapee is very reasonable.?
Are you going to visit San Antonio and do tourist stuff? How soon do you need to have information? We have not stayed in any RV park in San Antonio. We did stay one night at Alamo Fiesta up in Boerne. The park is OK.? We did look carefully at Blazing Star but decided against it because we felt that it's sites were too narrow and really not very level for our 40 ft. coach. Now there is a small modest park in Bandera, Pioneer River Resort, which is on the Medina River. Ned and Lorna Reiter stayed there for a week and they could give you their opinions on that park. Yes, Kerrville is a far piece from San Antonio and we checked out rv resorts there. Very expensive.? Hope this info is helpful to you.

regards,
Liz

Yukon said:
  I was surprised to hear them some of you are not exactly fond of KOA campgrounds.  Would you care to share the reason for that? 
Yukon:

Two reasons we try to avoid KOA:

1. As a rule they are overpriced for the quality of park.

2. KOA has been quite vocal as an organization opposing overnight parking anywhere except a licensed campground. We find if they don't consider us important enough as a customer to listen to our views we can return the favor by spending our money elsewhere.

Yukon said:
I was surprised to hear them some of you are not exactly fond of KOA campgrounds.? Would you care to share the reason for that?? ?

As Jeff mentioned KOA is believed to be a strong advocate of forcing RV'ers to utilize commercial campgrounds and take an active part in pushing for laws that would restrict where we can park.

I feel that KOA over charges and I have yet to be in a KOA that I felt was up to standards for what they charge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom