KOFA/Quartzsite 2022 Get Together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
Is a KOFA get-together in the works for 2022? Kevin Means is probably the best person to respond to this post.

DH (Eric) and I are going to do our best to attend next January’s Quartzite RV Rally in AZ. We’ve been told that after the QZ rally we should head to KOFA also in AZ and not too far from QZ. I believe both sites are on BLM land and allow Boondocking.

We are starting to make plans and would appreciate input from experienced QZ and KOFA participants.

For the new kids on the block:
DH = Dear Husband
KOFA = King of Arizona, a National Wild Life Refuge
Boondocking = RVing with no water, electric, or sewer hookups. It’s also called dry camping and dispersed camping.
BLM = Bureau of Land Management. Camping on BLM land is usually free but some BLM locations do charge an affordable fee.

We’ve been looking forward to going to QZ and KOFA for several years.

It is a bit early for any specifics, but I can guarantee people will be at the Quartzsite rally, and I can also guarantee there will be some before, during, and after the rally at KOFA. Go ahead and make your plans: somebody will be there with you.

Pam's right -- there'll be someone at both places at the appropriate times. I hope we can get to both of them this coming year, but it's still too soon to say for sure.

We have no clue on how long we should plan on staying at QZ and KOFA. I know ... it depends.
At Q the "official" RV Forum rally lasts just over a week, starting about mid-January (give-or-take) and ending about the time the big tent is closed down (also the flea market starts shutting down). In 2019 it was January 19 - 28. The thread below gave a LOT of details for the 2019 gathering at Q:

The thread below was the reply thread for 2019 at Q:

And for 2019 KOFA:

The above are typical of the threads made each year for Q, one with lots of info on what's upcoming, along with directions and more, and the other with people's replies/questions. Should answer a lot of your questions, but if there are still some questions unanswered, you only have to ask.

We have no clue on how long we should plan on staying at QZ and KOFA. I know ... it depends.
Plan on a week at Q, at least the Saturday before until the Sunday after, for the “full experience”. There will be someone there the entire month of January and probably February though if it is anything like previous years. We always like to stay the week after for the enjoyable lack of people, made even better by the contrast with the masses the week of the show. We like to spend 5-7 days at KOFA before or after, just for the contrast. We also like to spend a week or two at a resort in Yuma, just for an even bigger contrast. Death Valley generally gets a visit from us too in February. But we really don’t make ”plans” other than some broad generalities.

As discussed in the chat room last night, pull out of MN before the snow comes, and stay away until it is gone. What you do in between is totally up to your inner whims, there is a lot to see and do all throughout the whole south west. Unfortunately we don't plan to hit AZ until early April, so you can expect the drought to persist throughout most of the winter.

Ed

Looking forward to meeting some of our RV Forum friends and some new RV friends in the desert. It will be a new experience for us so please keep the recommendations and posts coming.

Just remember most of us are not in vacation mode. There isn’t a lot of “what are we going to see today” but more relaxing, reading a book, enjoying the sunset, watching g the fire, etc. Getting out of “vacation”thinking took us about 2 years after retirement, but it is a much more relaxing way to live.

I'll be at both Q and KOFA - not sure what dates at which place yet however.

The 2022 Q RV show runs from Jan 22 to Jan 30 so that's when the main group of the RV Forum rally folks will gather. Some come earlier and some of us stay later.

Here's the link to the 2022 Q RV show

Maybe this coming year we can do the traditional pitch-in dinner again. Here's hoping.

Linda

I'm planning on being in Q from Dec 1st through the end of Feb.
In the past my wife and I stayed at Park Place RV park in town, but since I'm alone this year, I will probably be staying at La Paz Valley RV park, south of the LTVA's at around MM99. I have a friend who has a winter gig there as park manager, so that'll give me someone to hang with.
When ya'll start showing up at KOFA, I might move on out there for a week or two.

Hi all... Sorry I haven't responded sooner. We've been very busy getting ready to move ourselves and the business to Southern Arizona. That, and the business are taking up all of my time.

We're definitely going to be at KOFA, but right now, I can't tell you exactly when. We go several times during the months of Jan and Feb, but we're going to have to coordinate with the builder this time. I'll let you know when we firm up some dates.

BTW... whoever brought the bad weather to KOFA last time needs to repent. I've never seen it so cold and rainy in the 27 years we've been going there. I think it was Marty, but I don't want to start any rumors. I guess it could have been Linda... or maybe...

Kev

Hey, it wasn't us. The bad weather was already there.
This is how we found Kings Road upon arriving in Feb 2020

Attachments

• Kings Road Feb 2020.JPG
    Kings Road Feb 2020.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 13
It was me. I bought a Class B Sprinter van in California and drove it straight to QZ.

It rained "Cats and Dogs" that very night. I am sure that same storm soaked KOFA.

The good news was that I discovered major leaks in the roof of the Van and took it back the next day for a full refund.

Attachments

• 600463a23fdb5c529d10f104.jpg
    600463a23fdb5c529d10f104.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 9
Hi all... Sorry I haven't responded sooner. We've been very busy getting ready to move ourselves and the business to Southern Arizona. That, and the business are taking up all of my time.

We're definitely going to be at KOFA, but right now, I can't tell you exactly when. We go several times during the months of Jan and Feb, but we're going to have to coordinate with the builder this time. I'll let you know when we firm up some dates.

BTW... whoever brought the bad weather to KOFA last time needs to repent. I've never seen it so cold and rainy in the 27 years we've been going there. I think it was Marty, but I don't want to start any rumors. I guess it could have been Linda... or maybe...

Kev

Yeah, it could have been me. I had a rough 2020, but I am trying to put it all behind me now! Seems like that storm cloud followed me for a few years, just to see if I could swim....

Great news about the businesses! You know the old saying, "be careful what you wish for"! Looking forward to this year. Welcome to the "Grand Canyon State" brother. After all, the state motto, "Ditat Deus" applies here!

Back
Top Bottom