Kootenay Nomad Mama and teenager

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kootenay Nomad

Hi All,
I am a new and fretful home-owner (feels slightly like being a new parent -excited but cautious). My teenager daughter and I are getting ready to hunker down in a friend's pasture in the lower Slocan Valley for the winter, having greatly enjoyed our first summer as RV owners and full-timers. So far I have repainted the EPDM roof, and redone the caulking on everything horizontal; recovered from and repaired a leak beneath the tub, and put in a woodstove(super exciting). Gearing up for winter with questions on a roof and skirting.

I have never owned anything big like this before -a 30 foot Keystone Cougar with a bunkhouse for the teen. And don't(or didn't) know anything about RVs before this spring. So huge learning curve. Lots of fun -and fretting.
I feel lucky to have friends and family nearby for support and company, and to live in the most beautiful place on earth. Looking forward to asking and sharing on here.
AVairy =}

Do you have electric, water and sewer? The wood stove should keep it quite toasty this winter. Make sure your daughter knows where the exit window is and how to get out of it. Don’t store firewood inside or too close the RV Due to termites and carpenter ants. Does it get very cold in British Columbia? If so you may need heat tape for your water and sewer hose. Under skirting will also help keep you warmer. Have fun!

Hi, I think we are good for water -digging a poly-line in tomorrow(below the freeze line)- and electricity (10 gauge extension cord from the garage). I am going to dig a grey water pit -keep it open with an old plastic garbage can with holes for drainage below the frost line. And an outhouse until we figure out something better -maybe composting toilet. I've made pallet boxes for the firewood -a little away from the RV. Insulated skirting for sure(we get down to minus 20 celsius during the cold snaps)

Biggest question is roofing. We get a fair bit of snow accumulation here, with a regular freeze-thaw cycle of weather throughout the winter. Is it better to carefully shovel the snow off regularly or put a tall tarp/plastic-covered A-frame sitting on top?

Back
Top Bottom