Kwikee Steps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Onyrlef

Last trip out my Kwikee Steps decided to stop operating in about the 90% retracted position. Then a few days in I guess I fell back in favor with the lord, they started. working again. After thoroughly lubing all the moving parts w/white lithium spray lube there's still a slight pop as if there's a slight bind just at that same point in retraction. The only thing I've come up with in watching the steps retract is it's in the cam arm., bit unsure. It must have overloaded and kicked out when it hesitated during a retraction. Otherwise nothing looks out of square and nothing moves, even the arm when it makes the slight noise at the 90% retracted point. ???

Also, I seem to recall reading the steps are not harmed if they partially extend and stop at or on the curb. Trying to make sure but can't locate any authoritative information.

A while back mine did this a few times and noted that it always worked perfectly with the engine running, and would stall at ~90% when on battery. Took that as a sign it's binding ever so slightly, and evidently right on the edge of whatever detects an obstacle or extension limits (current detect, clutch?). So maybe a test you can run is if it gets better or stays the same with optimum vs low input voltage. Spritzing all the pivot and bearing points with lithium grease spray once a year seems to have eliminated it. Maybe something's bent on mine but like you there doesn't seem to be anything obvious. After this amount of time, cycles, collisions, dirt and corrosion I can accept some accommodation.

As many times my steps have been blocked by curbs or rocks or whatever if they would've broken it would certainly have happened by now.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

there is an electrical overload that stops the stairs in its cycle. the overload will open (stop the extension or retraction) if the stairs make either end of the cycle or hit something in-between.

the overload can also open if the steps bind from many possibilities like bent linkage, worn parts, lubrication etc. it is also possible that the overload switch needs to be replaced.

be sure all linkage is not bent and the bearing assemblies at each pivot point are good and not sloppy.

instead of spray grease, use something more fluid that will penetrate each joint thoroughly.

removal and disassembly for a complete inspection and repair may be required.

Lubricate the joints and pivots as required by Kwikee for routine maintenance and yours will likely start working all the time.

I had to disconnect the step from the arm. And then I could move it back and forth by hand and find the bad spot. Then proceeded to beat it with a hammer until it worked easy .

Also, we hit a curb with ours about four times. After that it was stripped out. It would make this horrible noise. So I put a switch on mine to make it so the step stays in when I stop . It's there just in case there's a curb there and I don't notice .

Also, we hit a curb with ours about four times. After that it was stripped out. It would make this horrible noise. So I put a switch on mine to make it so the step stays in when I stop . It's there just in case there's a curb there and I don't notice .
Did you wire into the quick connect in the wiring harness?

I have pulled into our home base a few times and upon opening the screen door, the steps shoot out and stops when it encounters the curb. First time I thought it was all screwed... I dismantled the arm connection and tied up the steps so I could take it into the stealership. They re-connected it and found nothing wrong.??!!??
Next time I forgot 'bout the curb, the step jammed into the curb when I opened the door... &$@#*%$ - I said...
then I closed the screen door and THE STEPS RETRACTED??!!?? I assume that is the way they are suppose to operate. Anyways, I have access to the screen door switch wires and now disconnect (open circuit) one of the wires and the steps will not sense the door opening. Someday I will put in a proper switch.

That feature is built into Kwikee steps. You have the OEM switch near the door to keep the steps extended when parked. The same switch keeps them retracted too.
With igniton off, and switch set to open/retract steps every time the screen door is opened/closed. Close door and steps retract; move switch to the other position. Now open door, steps should remain retracted.

That feature is built into Kwikee steps. You have the OEM switch near the door to keep the steps extended when parked. The same switch keeps them retracted too.
With igniton off, and switch set to open/retract steps every time the screen door is opened/closed. Close door and steps retract; move switch to the other position. Now open door, steps should remain retracted.
My override switch does NOT keep the step retracted, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen. "Someone" flips the switch and you open the door, expecting the step to be there and it is not???

Our override switch when "on" will extend the steps when the door is opened and keep them extended when door is closed. In the "off" position, the steps extend when door is opened; steps retract when door is closed. The ignition power will override the extended steps if connected.
This is in the manual. Pg. 5

This is why I needed to 'modify' my magnetic door switch and by physically disconnecting the wire, it is more of a reminder to me to place our alternate step outside while parked at home.
Just have to remember to reconnect the wire so the step will extend at the next 'curb-less' stop. :-/

Did you wire into the quick connect in the wiring harness?
On mine I located the leads to teh door switch and put my switch there.

NOTE there are two different controllers.. On one the door switch "Follows the door"
That is Door closed. Switch closed.. On the other the switch is "Opposite the door"
Door open switch open.. I think anything made after early 2000's will be the first. but last century will more likely be the 2nd.. But it's easy to figure out.. Keeping clear of the steps. Cut one wire. if the steps to out.. You wire the switch across the two wires.. if the steps go in. In series with the cut wire.

@Onyrlef someone already mentioned this but the motor stops when there is physical resistance. The motor is pretty stout and it can overcome a lot of resistance.

Just behind the top step, the steps are connected to an arm with a pin and kotter key. Disconnect that pin and move the steps by hand. You should be able to move them in and out with two fingers. If not, you can address whatever is boogered up or needs lube. I used garage door spray lube.

Our override switch when "on" will extend the steps when the door is opened and keep them extended when door is closed. In the "off" position, the steps extend when door is opened; steps retract when door is closed. The ignition power will override the extended steps if connected.
Mine is like this, too.

My override switch does NOT keep the step retracted, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen. "Someone" flips the switch and you open the door, expecting the step to be there and it is not???

This is in the manual. Pg. 5

This is why I needed to 'modify' my magnetic door switch and by physically disconnecting the wire, it is more of a reminder to me to place our alternate step outside while parked at home.
Just have to remember to reconnect the wire so the step will extend at the next 'curb-less' stop. :-/
Have you tried that procedure i described recently? I know that's how it operates on my MH I tried it again last week to confirm everything was functioning as designed.

Last edited:
Have you tried that procedure i described recently? I know that's how it operates on my MH I tried it again last week to confirm everything was functioning as designed.
I had tried it many times and only using the battery disconnect would keep it from extending. Then came the day it ran into the curb and I took it in to the stealership, found nothing wrong other that that switch was "wired backwards"... It is a SPST and my electrical background BS alarm went off, but I said nothing, it still operated the same.
So I started disconnecting the magnetic door switch wire.
I did post the location in the manual where it describes the operation, unless yours is a different model, YMMV.

Mine is model 32. I can open the door, step extends, close door, step retracts, reach through the screen door panel and flip the switch, then open screen door, step stays retracted. This is all with key off, we both know when key is turn on it overrides everything and retracts step. It is actually the same function that locks the step extended.
When you disconnect the reed switch you break the ground.

UPDATE: Evidently in 2018 Power Gear changed that, to as you say. Here is the 2018 update: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/quickreferences/ccd_0001823.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom