Ladder Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceinFL

Was looking at Little Giant, Gorilla (Home Depot) and Werner (Lowes) multipurpose ladders. Have about eliminated Little Giant because of price and narrowed down to Gorilla vs Werner. Gorilla is $149 at Home Depot (probably 'cause they had to pay Tony Stewart  ;) and Werner at Lowes is $79. Both appear to be identical. Any comments from owners? I'm in a quandry and Mrs Claus is getting impatient.

If it will be stored in the RV, have you looked at the collapsible ones at Camping World? Something like this one.

LOL Jim, I don't need another one. I seem to remember paying a lot more than the one I linked to. I don't know if they have two versions, but mine is pretty solid with a good locking mechanism and takes very little room. I threw away the aluminum stepladder I bought.

One thing I have to worry about when buying a ladder is the load rating.. I'm 320 lbs dry, Most laddres are rated aroudn 200 lbs, Some 250, I think the Little Giant is rated to take more than I weigh.

Also, Most laddres will support a bit more than the label states,,,, However don't count on it.. I've one ladder in my garage just now I'm going to have to SERIOUSLY reinforce before Ican use it again... Unless I use it for halloween decoration (It's good for that) And I've purchased a 275 lb rated Fiberglass ladder that fits in the rig as well as a 250 rated (350 capable) "extension" ladder (Worst that will happen if it can't support me is I won't be able to store it and will have to trash it)  Design feels like it could take 500 lbs w/o tbl)

I've looked at the Little Giant but am not sure how well it will store (hope to see some in QZ) and the cost is still a bit high.. Local ladder place carries them though so I don't have to go to CW (Which also carries them, same price)

Two days ago we bought a Little Giant look alike.  It is the Cosco ladder by Lowes.  We love it.  Only $99 for the 17 foot version.  Not sure if we will carry it.  Might keep it here in AZ in the shed.  But it is light and could easily be carried, but not as compact as the one Ron Ruward has.

Tom said:
If it will be stored in the RV, have you looked at the collapsible ones at Camping World? Something like this one.

Hmmm. Hadn't seen that one before. Will have to look into it more closely. Thanks.

Smoky said:
Two days ago we bought a Little Giant look alike.  It is the Cosco ladder by Lowes.  We love it.  Only $99 for the 17 foot version.  Not sure if we will carry it.  Might keep it here in AZ in the shed.  But it is light and could easily be carried, but not as compact as the one Ron Ruward has.

Actually, Lowes has two ladders. The Costco one and the Werner. Costco is a four section fold. The Werner is like the Gorilla and Little Giant where it folds in two and has two sections that slide extend. Have you used yours yet? Can you make a step ladder out of it?

Bruce,

Just for clarification, the reason I bought that collapsing ladder was simply for storage reasons. The regular aluminum stepladder didn't fit my storage bins very well and it was always a hassle to get it in and out. Only once did I suggest the alternative of hanging the stepladder on the rear ladder of the coach (it was in jest), but my other half let me know that wasn't an option. My folding ladder is actually quite heavy, which sometimes makes me think about going back to a regular aluminum stepladder. On occasion I've also got a finger in the way when opening or closing the locking mechanisms.

The Cosco (not Costco) actually does have the two sections that slide extend.  And like the Little Giant, it can slide all the way out and become two smaller ladders and be used to set up a scaffold arrangement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom