Ladies Learn to Drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick note.  Tim and I were in Tucson, AZ over the last two weeks.  Tim started not feeling well the end of last week and it got worse from there.  He began running a fever, was light headed, had a sharp pain in the rib area and wasn't eating.  We decided not to go to a doctor in Tucson; but to return home to San Diego incase it was something serious and he would need to be hospitalized. 

So, on Sunday morning, I emptied tanks, disconnected all the right stuff and got the rig ready to travel.  I hooked up the tow car and we headed home.  I drove straight through from Tucson to San Diego with Tim dozing most of the way in the passenger seat where I could at least keep an eye on him. 

We are now home, he has been to the doctor and the diagnosis is pneumonia.  So he is full of antibodics and drinking lots of liquids.

The moral of my story, I am so glad I know how to handle all the things that are involved with the motorhome and the tow car.  There is no way Tim could have driven; and we would still be in Tucson.

Ladies learn to drive the big rig!!

Marsha~

Hi Marsha,

Sorry to hear that Tim was ill.

Good message re the ladies driving and knowing how to do the other stuff. Chris has driven our coach 95% of the time for the last almost 2 years. She also helps with hooking up the toad, but is a slow learner when it comes to dumping and other 'outside stuff'. Maybe we should have a 'how-to' session for ladies at one of the rallies, especially the stuff that Betty calls 'blue jobs'.

Looking forward to seeing you both at Moab. Hope Tim is well by then.

We are also sorry to hear of Tim's illness.  It is good that you know how to get going if needed on your own.  As you are aware Sam drives 90% of the time or more and along with that she also knows all the ins and outs of hooking up the toad and the water/ dump jobs.  For my part it is a comfort to know that if something should happen either one of us can handle getting ready and the driving. 

Think Tom has a good idea of having a training session so all can be prepared to deal with such an emergency.

Looking forward to seeing you in Moab.  Hope Tim gets to feeling well soon.

Ron said:
.....having a training session so all can be prepared to deal with such an emergency.

Should we call it 'Blue jobs 101'?

Let's see how many of the ladies sign up for Blue Jobs 101.

Tom said:
Let's see how many of the ladies sign up for Blue Jobs 101.

Ok sign me up for that hands on seminar.  I can see it as entertainment for our Red Hat tea. Terry frequently asks me if I'd like a lesson on such and such and I decline, but based on Marsha's experience I think a lesson is in order.
Betty

Marsha, sorry to hear about Tim's illness.  I know when one is under the weather there is "No place like home".  Good for you to be able to get him there, and keep him comfortable to boot. I hope that he is feeling better.
I agree completely with your statement that it is important for ladies to learn how to drive.  There are many very good reasons to learn to drive and mangage RV's and toads, the most important is being able to take over in an emergency.

But here is another reason...it is FUN~~

I am thoroughly enjoying every minute of driving and managing my own RV. Friends pop out of nowhere, advice and support is abundant here at the forum, and there is a certain sense of accomplishment in tackling such a large challenge that was previously so foreign to me.   
Ladies can contribute to the driving, react to an emergency, carry on "on their own" when left to their own devices, or start a whole new life, just by learning to drive (and manage) an RV.  This is a great topic.  Thanks for starting it.

Jozee

ps  thank you for the advise that you gave me regarding driving over the mountains east of San Diego via I-8, on the "steep driving" string.  I will use that route on my return.

Hi Marsha,

We're sorry to hear about Tim's illness. Hope he recovers quickly. It certainly is a good idea for both individuals to know how to drive and do everything. Driving is the most important since you can get all the help you need with the rest at any campground.

My wife doesn't read or post on the forum, so I'll have to answer for her.

She does 95% of the driving and it helps her to avoid boredom. She had no fear from day 1, although I was a bit concerned sitting in the passenger seat. Some positive reinforcement and a few well-timed hints helped somewhat. But my wife really learned a lot from a "ladies only" driving class at the Monaco service center; The guy who ran the class is a Monaco employee and a retired UPS driver.

I'm not trying to start "Class" warfare, but one of the reasons for buying a B motorhome was my wife's reluctance (fear?) of driving a big rig.? My sister-in-law and her husband own a 40' Fleetwood.? She has has never driven their MH.? That's a shame, not to mention a risk, as Marsha and Tim can attest.? Even if my wife was capable of driving a large MH, I sure she would not do it very often.? The higher stress level would limit her time behind the wheel.? The B is not a problem for her, and since we do a lot of traveling now that we are retired, being able to share the driving was very important in making the choice we did.? I'm sure that one day we will move up to a DP, but I would expect to do all the driving myself when that day arrives.? I'd be interested to know how other women have overcome their trepidation of driving a Class A.? What percentage of the driving do you do?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the well wishes.  Tim is getting better day by day.  He went to the doctor this morning and is on the mend.

Tom, have you got many "ladies" signed up for the class?  ;D  I'll be there to help out.

Jozee, I love to drive the motor home.  My husband and I probably drive 50-50.  I have also taken the motor home by myself on several horsecamping trips pulling my horse trailer.  When I first started driving it, and would pull into a campground, I would have a couple of men come by and ask if I would talk to their wives.  I said, sure, I'd be glad to; but the wives never came by.....

B-Smitty, I understand that it seems like a Class B would be easier; and I'm sure it is; but I love the luxuary of the bigger motorcoaches.  With their 50% front turning radius, I can just about handle as easily as I did my 1ton Dually with a slide in camper.  That was a bit harder to manipulate for me.  It seemed really awkward; and it was hard for me to see everything around me.  Granted the Chevy's are not known for their side mirrors.  With the motorhome, it's much easier for me to see everything with the big mirrors and the camera in the back.

Betty, I'm gonna video camera you working your way through  "Blue Jobs 101"  ;D

Marsha~

MarshaLassen/CA said:
Tom, have you got many "ladies" signed up for the class?  ;D  I'll be there to help out.

Not yet, but we could definitely use an instructor, so thanks for volunteering  ;D

Betty, I'm gonna video camera you working your way through  "Blue Jobs 101"

Terry and I will be cheering the ladies on. Heck, we might even bring pom poms and be real cheerleaders  ;D

Tom,

{Not yet, but we could definitely use an instructor, so thanks for volunteering}

Hummm, looks like you missed the word "help" in my message.... ;D ?I didn't see anything that resembles the word "instruct" in there. ;)

Marsha~

MarshaLassen/CA said:
Tom,

{Not yet, but we could definitely use an instructor, so thanks for volunteering}

Hummm, looks like you missed the word "help" in my message.... ;D ?I didn't see anything that resembles the word "instruct" in there. ;)

Marsha~
Hmmmm, since we didnt yet have an instructor and you offered to help? I thought that ment you were willing to instruct.? After all instructing is a big help.

Sign me up for the Blue Jobs 101 class. I probably could do the dumping and unhooking if I had to but it would be nice to feel more comfortable. As for driving, Mike would have to be unconscious before he'd let his blind wife drive the motorhome.

b_smitty said:
I'd be interested to know how other women have overcome their trepidation of driving a Class A.  What percentage of the driving do you do?

I have just begun to learn to drive my class A.  I was terrified to get behind the wheel at first, but determined to learn to drive.  The fear subsides a little with each trip that I take, and is replaced with enjoyment.  It really is getting to be fun.  I am going to look into the RV driving class in Lancaster, just to hone my skills and build confidence.  I do 100% of the driving.

Back
Top Bottom