Lake Havasu, AZ Boondock Spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamsend

Hello All

After a month's hiatus in Phoenix doing doctor, dentist, tests, oil changes etc. I'm ready to hit the road again and find some free/cheap likely BLM camping.  I'm taking two weeks to head west to Mohave Natl Preserve area and to then return for another week of Phoenix appts. the beginning of April.  I'm booked at White Tank Regional Park for that week - so at least not in the busy city.

Anyway, I like short drive days, so I'm planning on going to Q and from there up to Lake Havasu area to explore for a couple/3 days before heading over to Mohave via I40.  Does anyone have suggestions for good free area to boondock around Lake Havasu City? - doesn't have to be close as my "city" chores are all caught up.  I'm looking at Craggy Wash and Oatman-Topock Dispersed right now as two places that sound/look pretty good compared to Standard Wash and 2 other BLM areas south of Lake Havasu City. 

#2    Can anyone share "stuff to do" around Lake Havasu?  I'm mostly interested in hiking/exploring.  I'm not a "lake" person per se and beaches aren't my first choice either.  Also, like any really interesting historical stuff too. 

#3    Any suggestions for boondock spots in/around Mohave Natl Preserve anyone recommends?  I'd like to explore Anza-Borrego area while I'm over there as well.

#4    Same as above.  Any hiking, exploring suggestions for Mohave Natl Preserve or other nearly area would be most welcome.

Thanks in Advance
Linda

There are several Boondocking areas around Lake Havasu.  The one that I am most familiar with is the one on the north side of town right off 95 on the east side.

Be aware that after April it gets pretty warm here as the elevation is fairly low.

For a year I tried to get Framily to use the free RV site next to my garage.  I only had a few takers.

Renae has a daughter, (50 years old), that she supports in California.  Renae has been paying her rent and utilities and we thought it would make sense to bring her over here to Lake Havasu, so I gave her my DP to use here in Lake Havasu.

We do still have the ability to provide a dump station and water source.

There are lots of things to do in Lake Havasu.  We have plenty of dirt roads and off road trails.  The downtown area has interesting shops and we have all kinds of stores in the area like Walmart, Tractor supply, Harbor Freight, and such.

The town is full of classic cars and hot rods.

There are also some boondock spots just south of town. They are off the main road, mostly on the east side. And I second Bill?s comment about the temps. I would really look for an AC spot for Anza Borreago and the Mohave. While there make sure you go to the Goff Schoolhouse which is so, so much more than a school! Check their hours since they are only open certain days. Also visit the Kelso Depot. Fun history.

Thank you Bill and Pam.  Yes, the weather is a definite consideration, but at least for next week I'm gonna try it.  Forecast is for high mid-70s (to 80) and lows in mid 50s in Needles (closet I could get to Mohave)  We'll see after that and there seems to be enough CGs hopefully I can find something if AC is a must.  I have portable fan, and the big overhead fan to move air too -- and hopefully enough elec to use them some if necessary.

Bill the BLM just north of town is the one I'm looking at.  And, there is another further north if I can't find a spot at Craggy Wash.

Thanks for the history suggestions Pam.  They sound good cause I need a change now and then from hunting wildflowers and birds :D  ! 

Regards
Linda

If it gets too hot we can set you up in the garage with 50 amp service for your A/C.  Not as scenic as the outside site but it would be comfortable with air conditioning.

Attachments

• rIMG_2392-2.jpg
    rIMG_2392-2.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 22
You are simply super kind Bill.  Thank you sincerely for the offer.  I really only plan on being around Havasu for 2 days at most on my way to Cali and then to stop back again on the way back to White Tank Reg Park outside Phoenix.  The return trip would put me in Havasu Lake City environs on April 4 or 5 as it's planned now anyway, but likely just for the day.  So You just may get a PM from me if the weather is not cooperating.  Thanks again.

L

Dreamsend said:
Yes, the weather is a definite consideration, but at least for next week I'm gonna try it.  Forecast is for high mid-70s (to 80) and lows in mid 50s in Needles (closet I could get to Mohave)

It's spelled Mojave in CA, Mohave in AZ.  Go figure.

For Mojave National Monument weather, look at Kelso, CA.  It's in the center of the Monument and has a weather station for the railroad yard there.  It's also home to the Depot Museum, a must-see.  Needles is significantly lower in elevation and is usually warmer.

Zzyzx, CA is in the western part of the Monument and also has a reporting weather station.  It's home to a spa established in 1946 to sell mineral water as a health tonic and it's name is "the last word in the English language".  Currently it's used as a desert study center by California State University.

Lou Schneider said:
For Mojave National Monument weather, look at Kelso, CA.

Hi Lou
Yes, I couldn't get Kelso, CA to come up on my NWS app, but checking weatherbug shows Kelso forecast generally in the low 60s day and and 35-49 degrees overnight thru April 1.  May be using more propane for heat than elec for AC.  :D  It seems temps are running generally cooler this year still in Arizona and closeby California areas.  Phoenix weather has been reporting it's 10 degrees cooler than "normal". 

I just Google "location weather" (i.e. Kelso, CA weather) and a 10 day summary forecast with an hourly slider comes up at the top of Google's search page along with links to more detailed forecasts below it.

HueyPilotVN said:
If it gets too hot we can set you up in the garage with 50 amp service for your A/C.  Not as scenic as the outside site but it would be comfortable with air conditioning.

Regarding your recommendations Bill, I sent you a couple PM's recently if you could take a look. ;) My wife and I may be vacationing to AZ later this summer (sans RV this time) and I was curious on your thoughts. I don't want to hijack this thread too much.

Back
Top Bottom