Lake Ontario Parkway clearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone traveled from Oswego/Rochester NY to Hamlin Beach /Brockport NY area? We are staying at Hamlin Beach for my brother in laws wedding and are getting mixed results on quality of the road as well as clearances.... We would prefer to not take the NYS Thruway but that might be the safest bet.

Also, does a road that is closed to commercial traffic translate to "do not take your camper on this route" due to potential clearance issues you might encounter on such a route?
Thanks!

We just did the stretch between Rochester and 4 Mile Creek SP a couple of weeks ago.  The road quality is very bad - among the worst I've been on.  When we took the parkway to Niagara Falls on the motorcycle, we made the return trip on other roads - the parkway is a very rough ride.  Overpass clearances were enough for our Coachman Freedom Express toy hauler.  As long as there wasn't traffic behind me, I did lane split to get the max clearance under them.  If memory serves, overpass clearances were in at least 11' 4 ".  If you can find other routes, I would suggest using them.  When we left, we took secondary roads (Route 18 was one, if I recall correctly), and had no problems on them.

As a general rule, roads in the northeast named Parkway are for passenger cars only: no trucks, trailers or RVs are allowed.

If commercial vehicles are excluded, you can assume that recreational vehicles are not permitted either. It's not just bridge clearance. These roads have narrow lanes, no shoulders, short exit/entrance ramps and other design features not suitable for large vehicles.

Some of these Parkways date back to the 1940s, and were designed to be scenic routes through the countryside.

I live here and I highly recommend not taking the parkway. There are low bridges all along the parkway. Another option is 104. It's much closer than taking 90, 90 is quite a bit further south where 104 is further north, just miles from the parkway. There are some lights, but it's pretty quick moving and doesn't add more than a few minutes on your trip.
104 is also called West Ridge Rd in many spots, just FYI incase it's referred to that way on maps.

NY_Dutch said:
The western NY Lake Ontario and Niagara Scenic (former Robert Moses) parkways do not follow the same rules as the down state parkways.

OK, Thanks for the correction.

ken

Back
Top Bottom