Landing Gear -- Stripped out on 1 side -- How do you replace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpowell800

Ok, here's an aweful experience..... landing gear is stuck in the up position on 1 side.  First of all, the motor is working fine & will turn the passenger side jack without any problems.  The driver's side jack isn't moving at all. 

I spent a good bit of yesterday taking all of the mounting brackets & connecting rods loose, but to my amazement the darn thing just won't come out.  It looks like it has a couple of "ears" on the tube to keep it from traveling up or down when it is being used. 

Question---can you just replace the gears?  If so, how do you remove them.

If you can't replace the gears, then how about just one post?  I'm really kind of baffled on how we are even going to get the trailer off of the truck at this point. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What make and model of trailer is it?  They aren't all the same... Do the front legs travel independently or are both driven by the same shaft?

You can put blocks under the side that won't go down, until you get it fixed. I think one jack would hold it long enough to get the blocks underneath, then lower the weight down onto the blocks.  Better yet, get a little scissor or bottle jack and put ontop of the blocks, so you can jack a little that side too. You only need an inch or two - build up the blcoks until the jack is close, than expand the jack to cover the rest of the distance.

The 5'er is an Aspen.  The legs do not travel independently.  There is one motor with a connecting rod to the other leg.

The motor is made by Venture.  There are no markings on the square tubes that house the jacks.

I've seen one other like you describe - can ony assume the pair of legs/jacks are assembled as a unit and installed complete.  I don't have any idea how to deal with it.  Maybe grind off the "ear" to remove the gear, then put some kind of collar on the shaft to replace the ear after replacing the gear.  Don't know where you would find the gear either - might have to have one made in a machine shop.

Just out of coursity... On the stuck leg, can you see the gear turning?  Sounds like you might have a shear pin in there, and it is sheared... If so it might be possible to replace the pin

Most likely cause of shering is over retraction or something blocked retraction

Back
Top Bottom