Laser Level - Food for thought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

I am not an impulse byer, except for this little item.
  Saw this little beautiful looking laser level on the shelf on sale. Comes complete with "duh" a laser output lens, an 8' measuring tape out the rear, 2 leveleing bubbles and is bright yellow.

I don't have any pictures to hang, cupboards to install or anything else I can think of. But the price was right, only $4.99. How could I go wrong.

There must be a way to use it in the ol' MH. How about levelling it when parking in a campground. I have an idea in mind but would like to see if any of you can provide any unique ideas, other than mine. *My idea is patent pending*  :-\

Have a great day.
carson, FL

I agree a laser level is one of those irresistible tech toys (I bought one a few years ago in the same fashion you did!), but I don't see how the laser will help level the coach. All it does is project a line that is as level (or not) as the level itself, so you still have to look at the bubble to see if the level is, uh, level.  And the bubble tells the story, so what good does the laser part do if you aren't trying to mark a line or point somewhere else?

Good morning, Gary
Good thought, but my posting was supposed to be a little "tongue in cheek".

My idea was to be a little Rube Goldberg like, such as placing the level on a known flat surface (galley countertop) and facing the beam towards the front of the MH. Then marking the beam point, using a post-it-note on the windshield, or centerpost if there is one.
  Then raise or lower the level untill the bubble is centered to find the actual level of the motorhome. The new beam point on the front will now indicate how many inches one needs to raise the front wheels or the rear wheels.
  Haven't figured out yet when the MH is tilted to one side or the other. That's the next challenge.  ;)

I hope I won't need Calculus for this, have forgotten how.

Ain't Rving fun?

carson

my posting was supposed to be a little "tongue in cheek".
I hear ya, Carson. And I hope my answer wasn't too serious for it.

My idea was to be a little Rube Goldberg like, such as placing the level on a known flat surface (galley countertop) and facing the beam towards the front of the MH. Then marking the beam point, using a post-it-note on the windshield, or centerpost if there is one.
  Then raise or lower the level untill the bubble is centered to find the actual level of the motorhome. The new beam point on the front will now indicate how many inches one needs to raise the front wheels or the rear wheels.

Yeah, but after you do it a couple times you will "know" about how much lift you need to move the bubble just so afar. And besides, you just guess a preliminary amount and then add/subtract ss needed to get it "close enough". This really ain't rocket science, ya know?

I'm like you - I try to find uses for that neat laser, but most of the time it simply doesn't add any useful function. But when you need that straight line beam projected across the room or along a awall, you can't eat it. Slick!!!

There must be a way to use it in the ol' MH. How about levelling it when parking in a campground. I have an idea in mind but would like to see if any of you can provide any unique ideas, other than mine.

Set up the laser level several feet from one corner of the motorhome.  Observe the line as it shines down the front (or rear) and one of the sidewalls.  Level the rig as needed using the laser line as the reference.

Of course, this will probably limit your campground setup to nighttime or at least partly cloudy days.

I do not have a laser level, but last week we bought one of those laser penlights.  It has a VERY important use.  It is our cat exerciser.  Exercising a 15 year old cat is critical to maintaining his health.

On a daily basis, we get out the laser pen and the cat chases the red spot all over the motorhome.  He does flips and crazy circles.  If we run the red spot under the sofa and turn it off, he will wait there for a half hour or more, expecting it to come back out.  After a half hour or so, he will hop up on to the sofa and fall into a healthy and exhausted sleep.

What would we ever do without this $5 device?? !!  ;D

Re Lou and Smokey's entries

;D  ;D  ;D Great ideas,hilarious as a matter of fact. Made my day

My dog just looked at me, when I tried it with him, I think I heard him mutter "and you spent five bucks on that ???).

Only took me 4 hours to level my rig with Lou's idea.

Anyone else with ideas?

carson FL

Simplified method for coach leveling:
1) Obtain ordinary water glass.
2) Mark a line around the periphery of the glass equidistant from the top with a Sharpie. About 1/2" down will do nicely.
3) Set glass on known level surface.
4) Fill to within 1/4" of line with a good Single Malt Scotch Whisky.
5) Adjust levelers/jacks until the top of the liquid meniscus lies vertically equidistant from the line in all directions.
6) Pause briefly to admire work.
7) Drink Scotch.
(repeat as necessary)

Karl said:
Simplified method for coach leveling:
1) Obtain ordinary water glass.
2) Mark a line around the periphery of the glass equidistant from the top with a Sharpie. About 1/2" down will do nicely.
3) Set glass on known level surface.
4) Fill to within 1/4" of line with a good Single Malt Scotch Whisky.
5) Adjust levelers/jacks until the top of the liquid meniscus lies vertically equidistant from the line in all directions.
6) Pause briefly to admire work.
7) Drink Scotch.
(repeat as necessary)

Karl:

Or after step 4 drink scotch, repeat as necessary and you won't care if the coach is level until you run out of ice. ;D ;D

Me thinks I've found a flaw in Karl's plan/recipe:

Carefully tried each step, and every time I repeated it the tilt of MH got worse

Maybe it should be Bourbon instead of Scotch, hic
Think I'll give it a try as soon as headache goes away. hic

carson    73

Don't know if losing the headache will solve the problems but if you repeat the procedure  by switching the Scotch to bourbon  WHO CARES?  Just bring it on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom