Lavatory sink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Lars

Hello all, I imagine this topic has been covered a time or three, but my question is; what’s the best way to reverse the yellowing of the lavatory sink, and other plastic parts in older motor homes? TIA

NY_Dutch

I've had the longest lasting results by lightly scuffing the plastic and spraying it with a quality plastic paint like Krylon Fusion for Plastic. I have not tried that on a sink though, so I don't know how well it would hold up there.

Ex-Calif

I'm with Dutch. I've restored a number of classic cars and yellowing is really a chemical change over time as opposed to a stain.

The only time I've had real success on painting plastic and vinyl parts is to remove the item completely, do a complete and thorough surface prep, sometimes with media blasting and apply the coating. Restoration in place is a lot tougher in terms of surface prep.

Surface prep is +95% of the game in any surface restoration.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
What the others said. You can try wiping it with lacquer thinner or acetone, which removes a layer or two of the surface and might get down to unchanged color, but it's difficult to do neatly and evenly. Sanding & painting with something like Krylon Fusion is a better choice, even if you have to re-paint occasionally.

Top Bottom