Leak testing slideouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Following a couple of days of work on our slideouts, today they were leak tested. I wondered how they did this, but it's not rocket science. They have a number of spray jets mounted around a frame which is placed around each slideout. After levelling the coach, they turn on the water spigot and let it run for 1-2 hours while looking for leaks on the inside.

Attachments

• leak_test.jpg
    leak_test.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 40
  • leak_test2.jpg
    leak_test2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 34
I thought those were slideouts washes :)

LOL Ned, I guess I was just so impressed with my clean slideouts that I thought they'd fixed something.

BTW one slideout leaked after installing a new seal and they got that fixed, or at least it didn't leak when they washed it the second time.

Tom:

The pics make it appear that the water is directed at the outboard edge of the slide. Is it in fact hitting the seal between the coach and slide?

Jeff /Washington said:
The pics make itappear that the water is directed at the outboard edge of the slide.

That's all that's needed to wash the slideouts  ;D  Actually, my photos didn't come out too good, partly because the mist coming off in all directions was diffracting the light. I'm pretty sure the seals were getting hit, which might explain why one of them failed the test.

This does not work with a Motor Home due to.. Well, it's too big

But I used to leak test the seals on car doors and windows (still do) by going through the car wash....

If the car got washed... GOOD.. If I got washed  BAD!

Not much of a leak test if the spray isn't directed at the seal.  What good is it spraying the extreme extension of the slide?

Glad you disapprove of the test Ron. FWIW it did find a leak I didn't know I had in addition to the ones I did know about, so something must have been pointing in the right direction  ;D

FWIW those spray racks are on wheels and are moved. They also have different racks depending on what they're checking for. I had them looking at several different problems, one of which was a wiper issue. A different one was seals. A third one was the joint between the end vertical part of a slideout and the bottom.

Aren't you glad you don't have slideouts  ;D

Back
Top Bottom