Leak under bathroom sink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jscottt

We've had our Mallard since June and living full time.

This last weekend, we moved to a new site (300 miles away).

On Friday night before the move, we had a heavy storm overnight. It had mostly passed by the morning when we packed up. Trip was dry and uneventful.

On Saturday, sometime after setting up, we noticed a wet patch on the carpet in the bedroom (next to the bathroom). I removed the panel under the sink to check but it looked dry. We put it down to water from the storm. However, last night, I noticed it was wet again. This morning, I checked under the sink again. This time, I saw water dripping from the connection on the back of the outside shower. I was able to tighten it at least a half-turn by hand and, for now, it seems to have stopped.

While under there, I checked the other connections (there are several as this is where the water pump is located). Most of the connectors were loose with between half and a full turn to tighten them.

We've had our Mallard since June and living full time.

This last weekend, we moved to a new site (300 miles away).

On Friday night before the move, we had a heavy storm overnight. It had mostly passed by the morning when we packed up. Trip was dry and uneventful.

On Saturday, sometime after setting up, we noticed a wet patch on the carpet in the bedroom (next to the bathroom). I removed the panel under the sink to check but it looked dry. We put it down to water from the storm. However, last night, I noticed it was wet again. This morning, I checked under the sink again. This time, I saw water dripping from the connection on the back of the outside shower. I was able to tighten it at least a half-turn by hand and, for now, it seems to have stopped.
emergency plumber in Gloucester
While under there, I checked the other connections (there are several as this is where the water pump is located). Most of the connectors were loose with between half and a full turn to tighten them.
thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:
That is very typical. What happens is the cone shaped seal inside the nut relaxes and the joints start to leak.
When tightening those nuts only
Use your hands and no tools at all. Using a tool could split the nut.

On Saturday, sometime after setting up, we noticed a wet patch on the carpet in the bedroom (next to the bathroom).
I had a tricky leak in my new RV. It was from the hidden water connection behind the toilet. It leaked water into and out of a closet, but no water anywhere near the toilet. You would have to see the design of mine to see how that happens, I couldn't explain it here.

But my point is be sure to check the water connection to the toilet as at least in some rigs, that can be tricky and not obvious at all.

When you have a leak, best to check every water connection possible, no matter where the water leaks to. And don't assume it's coming from the outside just because it rained. I have made that mistake also.

-Don- Reno, NV

When driving/towing a rolling earthquake, all electrical connections and plumbing connections should be checked for tightness every year.

I also had a similar issue with the bathroom sink as the faucet has some issues that don't fit right inside the faucet hole of the sink. It always shows some wet patches on the floor, So I replaced my old sink with the new one just because my faucet hole gets large and doesn't fit any faucet right in the hole.

If the plumbing is gray plastic -- it shouldn't be now -- it's polybutylene. Connections can and often do crack open. Happened without provocation on a boat I owned. Polybutylene was the subject of a settlement against Shell, its manufacturer, in the tens of $billions back in the late 80s or early 90s as it was widely used in plumbing houses and complexes.

Back
Top Bottom