Leaking air connector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
A friend was spotting me as I made a turn in a narrow street a couple of days ago. He noticed that, when I applied the brakes, air was coming out of the connector at the rear of the coach that I'd normally plug the toad air hose into. This same connector is one that I've occasionally had to jiggle in order to plug in the hose. So I suspect it's either been bad from day 1, or somehow got some dirt preventing it from fully closing. It took all of 30 seconds to replace it with a new connector I had in my box of parts.

Under normal circumstances, I'd have the toad hooked up, so air wouldn't be escaping. But, on the rare occasions when we'd drive the coach alone, there was a potential for loss of air in the system. I now have an additional item on my pre-departure checklist.

I was wondering if others do something to prevent dirt from accumulating in the connector. e.g. insert a spare spigot (like the one that's on the end of the hose from the toad), or maybe put a boot/cap over it, something like the spark plug boot we use over the spigot on the front of the toad.

Slip a small rubber ballon over it when not in use.  would accomplish two things, keep dirt out and would give indication of any leak from the connector by becoming inflated or in worse case popped ballon. ;D

I might just give that a try Ron, thanks.

Replace the external air fitting.  They cost "zilch."  Air will not leak when it's removed as long as no one pushkes the service brake pedal.

JerryF

JerArdra said:
Replace the external air fitting. They cost "zilch." Air will not leak when it's removed as long as no one pushkes the service brake pedal.
Jerry, if you re-read my message you'll see that I already replaced the leaking fitting with a new one. That wasn't my question - I was asking what, if anything, folks do to prevent dirt from entering the fitting when the toad isn't hooked up to the coach.

Tom said:
what, if anything, folks do to prevent dirt from entering the fitting when the toad isn't hooked up to the coach.

Tom,

I received a red cover for the MH fitting and a spark plug cover for the toad when my M&G was installed.

Phil

Tom,

Now I see said the blind man.  I thought it was leaking air but actually it was acquiring dirt.  I'll bet the reason we never seem to have that problem is because we always have our tow car attached when driving the MH.

Jerry

Thanks Phil. I just went and checked the box of M & G bits & pieces, but no red cover. I might have thrown it out, not knowing what it was for. Your message gave me an idea - a chair tip but, after rummaging around in the garage, the tip was a little too large. I'll look for them next time I'm in the store.

Edit: For the benefit of non-air brake folks, I;ve added a photo of the connector on the rear of the coach and one of the connector on the front of the toad, complete with the spark plug boot that keeps dust out of it.

Attachments

• rear-conn.jpg
    rear-conn.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 18
  • front-conn.jpg
    front-conn.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 18
Tom,

If you happen to be near a HAM radio outlet or other radio communications store, see if you can get a boot for a PL-259 connector.  That's the same connector usually used for CB radio antenna connections as well.  The boot is usually closed at one end, so in normal use you would cut a small hole which would friction fit on the coax.  The diameter of the boot is the same as the air connectors we use and makes a good cover for the toad (over the filter if you use one)  as well as the rear of the coach.

Thanks for that input Steve, good to know. Unfortunately, there aren't any ham radio stores in this area, and I'm a long way from Fry's Electronics which might be an alternative source.

Steve

I just rummaged around the garage and found a new PL259 connector, complete with boot. However, this boot has a hole at both ends. Also, it's way too small to fit over the female air connector. See photo (apologies it's a little out of focus).

Edit: Just realized you were talking about the toad end and I was talking about the coach end  :) I use a spark plug boot for the toad end.

Attachments

• PL259.jpg
    PL259.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 12
OK Ron, curiosity got the better of me. I cut off a finger of a latex glove and put it on a spare air connector. Looks like it would work just fine. See photo.

Attachments

• glove_finger.jpg
    glove_finger.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 13
Tom,

Another way to skin the cat would be take a male connector and put a cap on the end and plug it into the female connection when you're unhooked.

Thanks Don. That's certainly another way to accomplish the same thing. Now where did I put that spare male connector  ???  OK, it's in the garage with the other M&G bits.

Tom said:
OK Ron, curiosity got the better of me. I cut off a finger of a latex glove and put it on a spare air connector. Looks like it would work just fine. See photo.
Now if you move the coach and use the brake check the finger inflation.  If it inlates or blows off ya still gotta leak. ;D

What do I do with a glove that has a missing finger?

Tom said:
What do I do with a glove that has a missing finger?

Do as Bernie suggested or give it to somebody missing the same finger s the glove. ;D ;D Cut the other fingers off that will work as spares. ;D

Back
Top Bottom