Leaking at the TV antenae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sorcisto

My TT developed a leak in the ceiling at the TV antenae.? I climbed up on the roof and checked it out.? The caulking is still plyable and appears to be intact(all the way around) It apears to be leaking thru the antenae mechanism some how ??

Can anyone out there offer me some suggestion as to how to proceed with this.

Thanx;? Sorcisto

Sorcisto said:
My TT developed a leak in the ceiling at the TV antenae.  I climbed up on the roof and checked it out.  The caulking is still plyable and appears to be intact(all the way around) It apears to be leaking thru the antenae mechanism some how ??

Can anyone out there offer me some suggestion as to how to proceed with this.

Thanx;  Sorcisto

Sorcisto,

The antenna on the roof may not be the place where the water is entering. It may be entering somewhere else but coming out at the antenna on the inside. How does the caulking on everything else on the roof look? I've heard of water traveling a long distance before it finds an opening.

The caulking appears to be intact all over.  It hasn't dried and I don't see any gaps??

What do I use to patch it with?  It has a rubber roof

Sorcisto

Hi Sorcisto,

As Don  mentioned the leak could be somewhere other than the antenna. However, look VERY closely at the caulking. There might be a small void which is hard to detect by eye. If you can clean around the area see if there are any "spots" that won't clean up. These are usually voids. Use the Dicor rubber roof sealant or their new all purpose sealant.

Sorcisto said:
It apears to be leaking thru the antenae mechanism some how ??

Alas, I don't know how much help I can offer,  Is your antenna the standard Windgard or by a chance do you have an AirStream trailer (which has a different brand on it)?

Here is the URL for the Winegard manuals page

Winegard Manuals

Now the company that makes the antennas for Airstream,,, They are located in Battle Creek, Mi. I used to know one of their engineers, a British gentleman (G2CWL was his call) used to work on submarines for Her Magisty's Navy.  The joke was that when he designed a seal (not his job at that company) it did not leak! EVER!

Having been a Submariner in our navy I can safely say that "there ain't no seal that won't leak".  Be that as it may; I thank you for the tip it was helpful.

Sorcisto

I have two leaks in the antenna. Both times it was leaking around the wire where in comes through the roof. There is a cap on the wire
that is supposed to seal it off, but sometimes it gets off. Finally I took a drop of caulk and stuck the cap back on with that and have not
had any more problems.

Dave

An antenna can leak around the shaft itself too. There is a water seal there but it has to allow the shaft to rotate and slide up/down to raise the antenna.  That seal may be damaged or the retaining nut underneath may need to be tightened a bit.

The antenna will also leak if it is not properly aligned fore & aft before lowering the antenna. If the antenna is rotated even slightly, it will not collapse onto the seal properly. And lowering it without proper alignment can damage the seal.

I haven't done this myself, but from what I have read the access to the mechanism is from the inside. Remove the interior cover plate and look up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom